Comparison of karate styles

Just a small comment on the original question....

I studied Shotokan Karate for about 15 years... Well, actually it was Kenkojuku Shotokan Karate.


So, I do know that at least for Shotokan, there are different styles within that main style. I would not be surprised if the other styles of Karate also had their own styles within as well.
They do. For example, goju ryu has two main branches: The Okinawan and the Japanese version began by (Cat Man) Gogen Yamaguchi. There are now likely further subdivisions within these. There are several branches of shorinryu as well: Chibana Chosin's kobayashi. Eizo Shimabuku's shobayashi and Zenryo Shimabukuro's seito and Shoshin Nagamine's Matsubayashi shorinryu. These last three all studied with Chotoku Kyan (I don't know what he called his style, if anything, being from the time prior to formal styles. Maybe he just called it Shorin?

These branches are basically the same with just minor variations and sometimes a different kata or two in the curriculum. As for the kenkojuku Shotokan you studied, it seems from my quick research has a bit of early Funakoshi O-sensei's Okinawan flavor that was lost just prior to WWll and the JKA's modernization of it. Other karate styles I'm not that familiar with surely have some substyles as well.
 
Wado-Ryu is interesting because it could be considered as much a style of jujutsu as karate. The founder, Hironori Otsuka, started out as a jujutsu practitioner and the original name of the art he founded was Shinshu Wadoryu Karate-Jujutsu. The rebranding of Wado-Ryu as just karate was (from what I've read) more due to politics than anything else.
So does that mean Wado-Ryu has lots of grappling? Jujitsu is a grappling based art so of Wado-Ryu is as much a style of jujitsu it would have lots of grappling.
 
Not to be rude but that has nothing to do with what I said.

My post stated I'd never heard any one call BJJ the 'gentle art'. I know what it is I've practised it for 20 years.
Not BJJ but Japanese Jujitsu is sometimes called the gentle art.
 
View attachment 34319
This is the hand forged Agena sai made by 9th dan Peter Carbone. They were formerly produced by several generations of the Miyahara family. With Hanshi Carbone's recent retirement from the craft, they are no longer made. Several top Okinawan masters own a pair. Mine are just like this - Sai that Bushi Matsumura himself would have loved.
NICE!!!

I want a pair.
 
So does that mean Wado-Ryu has lots of grappling? Jujitsu is a grappling based art so of Wado-Ryu is as much a style of jujitsu it would have lots of grappling.
I guess Hironori Otsukas jujutsu was Yoshin-ryu, so otsukas karate might have the element of being more yielding than others karate approach ?
 
NICE!!!

I want a pair.
They aren't for the casual practitioner - With decades of sai experience, it took me months to "tame" them. They are quite heavy and virtually unbendable with sharpened monouchi tip - unique amongst traditional Okinawan sai. If dropped, it would pierce your foot (it falls point first). A beautiful work of art, yet deadly functional, this pair was custom made for me and cost a bit over $500. Unfortunately, they are no longer produced as the last Agena craftsman has retired.
 
So does that mean Wado-Ryu has lots of grappling? Jujitsu is a grappling based art so of Wado-Ryu is as much a style of jujitsu it would have lots of grappling.
In theory. In practice, most of us practice bog-standard karate with minor differences in the kata, and we occasionally have a grappling night, which is my favourite night. I'm naturally talented as a grappler in a way I am not as a striker.
 
Jujutsu literally translates as "gentle art" when we're talking about the Japanese language.

"JÅ«" can be translated as "gentle, soft, supple, flexible, pliable, or yielding", and "jutsu" can be translated as "art or technique".
Yes we know, Tez is not arguing that point, she just never heard it referred to as such, and neither have I, and i use to train it.
we are slowly heading towards beating a dead horse here on this
 
Jujutsu literally translates as "gentle art" when we're talking about the Japanese language.

"JÅ«" can be translated as "gentle, soft, supple, flexible, pliable, or yielding", and "jutsu" can be translated as "art or technique".
I pointed this out in another thread a while ago, the BJJ guy didn’t want to take it in, it’s like - ā€œBJJā€ is just ā€œBJJā€, if they happen to say Jujutsu it’s just a word…a sound cluster
 
I pointed this out in another thread a while ago, the BJJ guy didn’t want to take it in, it’s like - ā€œBJJā€ is just ā€œBJJā€, if they happen to say Jujutsu it’s just a word…a sound cluster
Well BJJ is obviously short for Brazilian Jiujitsu (they spell the word Jiujitsu a bit differently in Brazil with an i before the first u, unlike the Japanese spelling) and while the Brazilians have modified the art so that its a bit different than the Japanese version its also important to realize there are different types of BJJ. For instance Gracie Jiu Jitsu is a type of BJJ but not all BJJ is Gracie Jiu Jitsu.
 
Well BJJ is obviously short for Brazilian Jiujitsu (they spell the word Jiujitsu a bit differently in Brazil with an i before the first u, unlike the Japanese spelling) and while the Brazilians have modified the art so that its a bit different than the Japanese version its also important to realize there are different types of BJJ. For instance Gracie Jiu Jitsu is a type of BJJ but not all BJJ is Gracie Jiu Jitsu.
Jiujitsu is how we spelled it for Japanese Jiujitsu in the early 1970s in the USA
 
Well BJJ is obviously short for Brazilian Jiujitsu (they spell the word Jiujitsu a bit differently in Brazil with an i before the first u, unlike the Japanese spelling) and while the Brazilians have modified the art so that its a bit different than the Japanese version its also important to realize there are different types of BJJ. For instance Gracie Jiu Jitsu is a type of BJJ but not all BJJ is Gracie Jiu Jitsu.
Words(or rather names) hold a descriptive meaning, I think that’s good and even important to know and understand, not least when it comes to names of martial arts.
 
So Im just showing the history and how its called that, thought you might want to know.

How? How are we beating a dead horse?

I've had a terrible few weeks and an running short on patience. I already knew what the translation was.
This is not just flogging a dead horse this is kicking it's bones around the field now.
 
I've had a terrible few weeks and an running short on patience. I already knew what the translation was.
This is not just flogging a dead horse this is kicking it's bones around the field now.
Hope all's okay Tez.. šŸ™šŸ»
 
Back
Top