This chick can throw a knife.

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
hay check it out. this girl is hot and she knows how to throw bo shuriken. she does some nice no spin with knives and spikes. its awesome!
[video=youtube_share;nKxFEuq5zg8]http://youtu.be/nKxFEuq5zg8[/video]

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Honestly? Her grip is off, there's no snap to the wrist action, she's leaning over too far, it's all arms, rather than a fluid whole body movement, the initial position is not particularly good, and more. Interesting, but not really a good example of shurikenjutsu.

Oh, and "check it out, this girl is hot"? Seriously? Not a way to be taken seriously, and it might be seen as a poor reflection on your instructor.... so you know....

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I really like her. She isn't pretentious, god knows that is thick in martial arts, honest with her skill ability not claiming expertise in knife throwing or her knowledge about knives. Even though I would say she is an expert in throwing knives. Like am I Ninja, I am a hooded Ninja. She isn't a rookie at knife throwing either, she does demonstrates her skill, doesn't claim mastery, and based on that gives her reviews. She references her ability with the throwing spikes, and references the California Keikokai, an extension of the Meifu Shinkage Ryu dojo from Japan. She let's us know she only took a couple of lessons in throwing spikes from a friend there. She has done her homework, she knows what she is talking about, and gives great 101 information on throwing knives. She doesn't pretend to be a knife throwing master. But gives a qualified review for those interested in quality and design of knife throwing. She is comfortable with the camera, and a natural and pleasant to watch and hear. I see her as being a celebrity like on any DYI or how to do TV. Good clip with good basic helpful information about throwing knives. She sold me.

I just wouldn't piss her off when she is in the kitchen. :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was an entertaining watch :nods:. I like the 'consumer review' feel to it and, as JE noted above, the fact that the lass does not try to come across as the worlds-greatest-knife-expert :).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Chick' ?? do you know why men call women chikcs? Because of the worms they pick up.

Chris is correct, not the way to be taken seriously on so many levels.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have to say that you really should remember that you're not on the corner with your buds. Anything you put out here for public consumption should be well thought out as you are judged entirely by what you write. I mean, doesn't your instructor teach you anything ? What a slacker he must be! :)

I too have to say that I enjoyed the review, but I agree with Chris about her relative skill level.

OP
DuskB4Dawn

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
'Chick' ?? do you know why men call women chikcs? Because of the worms they pick up.

actually I believe chick is short for chica a spanish word for girl. and last time I checked it was a non-derogatory word.

I would like to see her do at least a half spin or 1 spin throw from further distance. everybody can throw a knife no spin. from such close range.
And its funny how she holds the bo shuriken before throwing. its like she is listening to it before she throws it. its kinda strange but its a matter of personal preference I guess.
She does a very good review of different types of shuriken. and nice information about the difference in quality of metals.
And maybe not check it out this girl is hot is the best way to put it. but she isn't bad on the eyes and its nice to see female knife thrower. because its rare.
that's about the most politically correct way I can put it at the moment. I will try to be more serious in these forums. for the sake of my sensei and not to disrespect him in anyway.
so my apologies for that.
cya

Last edited:

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Don't stress too much about the mis-step, all is forgiven.

In terms of the method of holding the shuriken, it's a not brilliantly done form of the Meifu Shinkage Ryu method, a modern method currently in it's second generation, with the founder learning Katori Shinto Ryu from Sugino Yoshio. She's missing all the Reiho (a core component of the system and it's methods), and getting her positioning wrong.

For reference, here is the current head of the Meifu Shinkage Ryu, Otsuka Soke:

Note that the initial position is held further forward, nearer the temple than the ear, the throw is performed as a "whole body" action, the shuriken is situated a little higher in the hand, there is a "snap" to the throw, and more.

Oh, and in terms of the video itself, unlike someone like John, I'm far from sold. It's basically a disguised ad for a website (a slip or two near the end are dead giveaways, and remove speculation), rather than an actual review, and that leaves a bad taste in my mind for such things. There is a very good source for such things (far more along the traditional lines) if you're interested, but I'll let you know that in person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
actually I believe chick is short for chica a spanish word for girl. and last time I checked it was a non-derogatory word.

I would like to see her do at least a half spin or 1 spin throw from further distance. everybody can throw a knife no spin. from such close range.
And its funny how she holds the bo shuriken before throwing. its like she is listening to it before she throws it. its kinda strange but its a matter of personal preference I guess.
She does a very good review of different types of shuriken. and nice information about the difference in quality of metals.
And maybe not check it out this girl is hot is the best way to put it. but she isn't bad on the eyes and its nice to see female knife thrower. because its rare.
that's about the most politically correct way I can put it at the moment. I will try to be more serious in these forums. for the sake of my sensei and not to disrespect him in anyway.
so my apologies for that.
cya

People in the UK don't use Spanish words and chick isn't a polite way to describe women here.

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What I also like as I have seen it again, is that it really comes off as a review of a preference for a brand of throwing knife. She isn't instructing you how to throw a knife. Nor is she telling you what is the best method to throw a knife. We get good background information on steel and what to look for in a throwing knife and spikes. For example, don't buy throwing knives already sharpened. She informs us about the steel codes and grades of steel. She also tell us who is an expert in knife throwing and explained some terminology. She comes off as credible, and intelligent.

Her methodology of throwing is not important. Unless she was reviewing what is the best throwing method, and she isn't. What she wants the viewers to know is not, but why she likes a type of throwing knife. If she was lecturing on the best way to throw a knife that would be different. Her skill level isn't distracting to me. She has the necessary skill for reviewing throwing knives. Good info for about knives for those starting out or have some skill in no spin knife throwing.

The only criticism is that she uses her apartment without a backdrop to demonstrate. The clutter of her apartment is distracting. If that was hidden by a back drop, or if she was in another room with a backdrop that would be better.

I am really glad I got to see the video.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
No, it's an ad. And to me, she doesn't come across as that credible, as she's basically reading the same information on the website she's spruiking. For one thing, she discusses Shuriken as being purely "no spin" weapons, which is far from correct. In fact, most systems that feature Shuriken have different methods for spin and no-spin throwing. So she fails there. In terms of "her methodology of throwing is not important", maybe not for the video "review" itself, but when it is put forth with an OP that states "and she knows how to throw Bo Shuriken", then it becomes a topic for the conversation.

To my mind, she didn't adequately explain the different carbon contents in anything other than very broad terms, didn't really explain the RC Index at all, or that the numbers mean, and more. So there's a fail on that as well.

And, in the end, it's an ad. Pure and simple.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget "ROOTING".
As in "I'm ROOTING for you Tez". :ultracool

Oo er!

images

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I have some throwing knives that i think it is time to unwrap and try out! :0)

OP
DuskB4Dawn

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I am learning Mumyou Ryu method of shurikenjutsu at the moment as it has the widest variety of throwing techniques. like overarm and underarm aswell as throwing multiple bo shuriken and throwing long distance throw. and many types of bo/sanban shuriken. at the moment I follow the Mumyou Ryu channel on youtube. Houzan Suzuki post some very good videos. and I am planning to buy some dvd instructional videos from Mumyou Ryu website online although it is Japanese it may be hard to understand.
http://www.mumyouan.com/shuriken/en-index.html
It turns out that the video was actually a promo from flyingsteel but I kind of guessed that anyway.
flying steel are very expensive but they supply Momyou Ryu bo shuriken. and the ones I am looking at are very hard to make. they have a hole on one end to counterbalance the weight into the middle.
otherwise I wouldn't even bother to buy from them.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The Mumyou Ryu is a modern system, which is actually a fair bit removed from Shurikenjutsu in a classical sense, so you know. And I wouldn't class a you-tube channel as "learning" any system, personally. It can help your education, but you just can't learn a martial system that way.

Oh, and I wouldn't advise buying them at all, myself... not entirely a legal item, from memory, so posting on a public forum that you intend on getting them may not be the best plan....

JohnEdward

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I had the feeling it was a promo video, but on the production side is was really low end. Maybe it was done that way for a reason. Thanks for the critique and info.

yorkshirelad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the Chick is smokin'! I'd much rather spend my time with her than Japanese guys in skirts, but that's just me!

Latest Discussions