Bo Shuriken

13370n3

Hi all, new to this forum, but it seems this one actually has ppl who know what they are talking about. ^^ Anyway, I am learning to throw bo shuriken and if this is the wrong area to post this question I apologize. I am only accurate at about 9 feet! I am trying to find someone who knows how to stop the bo shuriken from spinning end over end. I am familiar with the concept of straightening the flight of the shuriken by brushing the end with the fingertips to get it to fly straight, but I still get a slow spin... does anyone know a trick to the the bo shuriken to fly straight? Thanks.

OP
E

Elizium

Sanshin movement. Do not grip hard. Relax. Aim for 10 feet. Use video for looking at bad points. Get an instructor to help you.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The bo-shuriken..
The flight of the bo-shuriken is determined by the weight, length, and the method of holding it in your hand and what depth you put it in your palm..

Please ask more detailed questions for more detailed answers.. ok.. and maybe I can help out.

ralph severe, kamiyama

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am not far enough in training to know about shuriken, but in knife throwing (the way my Grandpappy taught me) you throw point up for close range (2-5') point down for mid-close range (5-9') to allow a half spin, return to point up for mid-long range (9-13') to allow a full spin, and just reverse point up/down every 4 feet or so from intended target. never throw if it is more than 15 feet though. honestly, I dont see the importance in throwing 10 feet. Even in the old days. Rokushakubo are 6'......and that is one of the longer Bugei. to throw straight, I would guess, release several inches before you would normally release it. if I am wrong, its because I am inexperienced, and once again,....guessing.

OP

13370n3

Elizium said:
Sanshin movement. Do not grip hard. Relax. Aim for 10 feet. Use video for looking at bad points. Get an instructor to help you.
yeah, I wish I could find an instructor. After I move I will see if anyone is in my area. Thank you, i will research the Sanshin movement.

OP

13370n3

Does anyone know an actual technique that I could use in throwing? Without putting a rotation on the spike? Relaxing and visualizing is good and all, but a solid method would probably be better.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey, if you can, check the "Kakushi Buki" DVD... they demonstrate some Bo Shuriken Techniques.

Dunno if that would help you...

OP

13370n3

Sweet! I didn't know that they had any video material on shuriken throwing! Now all I need to do is save....

OP
E

Elizium

Send me in a PM a e mail address and I will send you some information on shuriken throwing.

r.severe

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In regards to throwing shuriken….
I have been throwing bo-shuriken for about 24 years now.
I have a DVD in production on the very subject of shuriken (senban, bo, hira) that will cover in detail the body postures, hand postures, grips, throwing from different positions, body targets, moving while throwing, standing still while throwing, different distance and the effect of the distance on the throw, etc..
The cover this subject in detail I feel you need a very complete DVD to study and this is what I am shooting for.
There are already many wonderful instructional tapes out on the market on the shuriken. But from what I have seen they fall very short of a strong foundation and complete instruction.
This came about from my 5 Dojo in my system needing instruction while I was busy or not in town or in their area. So it is an IN-HOUSE production.
From my experiences with different martial artist I have found that the use of throwing objects have always been interesting to them. But the training has been void or poor.
The main points of the Togakure ryuha Ninpo Taijutsu gata are to use the shuko, shuriken and metsubushi. This in my opinion has been over looked by many of the want-to-be ninja. Manaka sensei and Tanemura sensei have stressed this point of this ryuha to the public but I feel it was not taken seriously.
I have a private forum that has complete photos and detailed information on the skills of the shuriken. But unfortunately it is not open to the public because of the serious detailed instruction given within on combative training, methodology and subject matter.

I would like to answer the many questions I have had on my private e-mails and PMs.. but I cannot. I just don't have the energy..

ralph severe, kamiyama

OP

13370n3

cool, I guess I'll have to get that when it comes out! ^^

OP
E

Elizium

I sent you the information on shuriken throwing. Have a look through that for tips.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just droping in to say welcome to the forum 13370n3

I hope the answeres given above help some with your question

Latest Discussions