Shurikens & Kunais

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
So I used to have a set of twelve Kunai throwing knives. They were pretty pointy and I was able to chuck them into wood a few times before the ends started getting all bent up. Pretty poor quality if you ask me. Does anyone know where I can get some real Kunais that are made out of carbon steel or something; won't bend or break too easily?

I have a much larger throwing knife though that's a lot heavier and better for throwing; more commando style. Then some SOG throwers which I haven't gotten around to testing out. The large Cold Steel/cord wrapped knife though throws just fine; just have to sharpen it up as it's getting dull.

That's another thing; I'm partly suspecting that perhaps those "ninja throwing knives" that are available are just cheap knockoffs that don't actually work due to (1) their small, concealable size and (2) their flimsy manufacturing). (Had some Kunais and then some throwing knives which were even smaller and thinner; not Bo-Shuriken Spikes though; I've never tried those.)

I've never tried throwing stars either; are those made just as flimsily as the Kunai set? I did however find a giant cold steel "battle star" thrower; if I were to buy throwing stars, those would probably be the ones I'd get. It's been my experience that the bigger/heavier a blade is then the easier it is to throw, just so long as it's balanced and the shape isn't too awkward. My SOG knives remain on my shelf still probably for that reason; they kind of look like kitchen knives and I don't have an experience throwing knives that shape.

But yeah; my big and heavy cold steel knife is probably my favorite throwing thingy; solid, never seems to bend, and has a nice positive "thunk" sound as it penetrates the wood. Sharpen it up and it would probably work even better.

Any manuals or DVDs you guys can suggest? There's no Dojos where I live, so I just have to teach myself everything on my own. Pretty good with Nunchakus at this point too.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would suggest getting some actual training from a reputable instructor from the Bujinkan, Jinenkan or Genbukan. Otherwise
your really just playing around and probably ingraining very poor technique and or skills. If there are no dojos near you then travel to them to train once in awhile.

OP
Zumorito

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't have the money to travel to the nearest city; it's over a hundred miles away. Fill up on gas before living, fill up on gas up there, that's close to 100 dollars on gas plus whatever expenses for the formal training, plus the money for the gear. I use books and youtube videos and DVDs because that's ALL I have access to. I spar with my dad and brothers though, so that helps teach me what works in real life and what doesn't. I'd hardly call it "playing around" and I don't use what's not useful...

You have to make do with what you have.

OP
Zumorito

Zumorito

Green Belt
Reaction score
Know any good books or tapes on throwing knives, shurikens and spikes? I found a couple; I like getting as many sources as I can find though. You can crossreference the data and find the universal fundamentals.

Latest Discussions