Thinking of a name change

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife wants to change the name of the school from Twin Dragons Tae Kwon Do to Arlington Olympic Tae Kwon Do Training Center, as always we will still teach what we consider traditional classes at their regular times but this would bring to the forefront that we are also a major player in the area with the sportside of TKD as well. We have done nothing but get better each and every year with all of our players and my wife believe we should capitolize on the sport aspect now since we have been so dominate in this area. What is everyone elses take on the name change?

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I like the new name. I see nothing wrong with choosing a name that represents what you have had recent success with and I think names like the new one you're considering probably appeal to the general public a little more than the old one.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you somehow incorporate Twin Dragons into the new name? You'd maintain your continuity & recognition that way...

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'd go with the new name myself if you are trying to draw more students through the sport side. It's simple yet it explains what your mission is.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would agree with TKD_Father, using the word Olympic is very risky as the IOC can come down very heavy on you (regardless of the USOC's position):

http://www.ittf.com/stories/full_story.asp?ID=9888

You see in there (in the section titled "Use of the word “Olympic” by Organisers of a Qualification Tournament") they are very fussy about how the word Olympic can be used, even by the hosts of official qualification tournaments and that all other uses require prior IOC approval.

Personally I like the name, but I have a funny feeling the IOC wouldn't and the IOC's lawyers would probably like everyone to name their dojangs like that (so they can get rich).

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife wants to change the name of the school from Twin Dragons Tae Kwon Do to Arlington Olympic Tae Kwon Do Training Center,

Out of interest, why would you write it as Tae Kwon Do? The Kukkiwon/WTF prefer Taekwondo and the ITF prefer Taekwon-do. Why do you use three words?

As far as I know there is a reason why the KKW/WTF prefer a single word romanisation - it is a single word made of parts but has a new meaning... I.e. it's not some kicking, some punching, and a way of life but a-way-of-life-by-kicking-and-punching (yes I know the words mean more than that, but simplifying.

Even in Korean it's written as one word, e.g. &#49464;&#44228; &#53468;&#44428;&#46020; &#50672;&#47609; rather than &#49464;&#44228; &#53468; &#44428; &#46020; &#50672;&#47609;.

It may just be habit, or you may not feel it's important or you may have some philosophical answer as to why you prefer Tae Kwon Do.

Either way, I'm interested in your answer...

Cheers,

Andy

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think you should change a thing, Terry :)

You and Yolanda have worked very hard at your school. It has become your brand. It stands for something, it means something. Don't throw that away.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a couple alternates

Arlington Championship TaeKwonDo Training Center
Arlington Competitive TaeKwonDo Training Center
Arlington Competition TaeKwonDo Training Center
Twin Dragons Championship TaeKwonDo Training Center
Twin Dragons
Competitive TaeKwonDo Training Center
Twin Dragons
Competition TaeKwonDo Training Center

(Last 3 you won't need to do much to update your website) ;)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

You and Yolanda have worked very hard at your school. It has become your brand. It stands for something, it means something. Don't throw that away.

I'm with Carol on this terry, a complete name change to an established and successful school can, IMO, hurt you.

You are back to square one building your rep again because many will think it is either a new school, the focus has changed, or you sold it to someone else and you are now just an employee.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why not

Twin Dragons
The Arlington Olympic Tae Kwon Do Training Center

These. Though as was said the use of Olympic might get you in trouble. Use Competitive or another synonym though and you can keep the existing name while refocusing your brand.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can you somehow incorporate Twin Dragons into the new name? You'd maintain your continuity & recognition that way...

If you have any way of doing it, I would love to see it.
icon10.gif

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Out of interest, why would you write it as Tae Kwon Do? The Kukkiwon/WTF prefer Taekwondo and the ITF prefer Taekwon-do. Why do you use three words?

As far as I know there is a reason why the KKW/WTF prefer a single word romanisation - it is a single word made of parts but has a new meaning... I.e. it's not some kicking, some punching, and a way of life but a-way-of-life-by-kicking-and-punching (yes I know the words mean more than that, but simplifying.

Even in Korean it's written as one word, e.g. &#49464;&#44228; &#53468;&#44428;&#46020; &#50672;&#47609; rather than &#49464;&#44228; &#53468; &#44428; &#46020; &#50672;&#47609;.

It may just be habit, or you may not feel it's important or you may have some philosophical answer as to why you prefer Tae Kwon Do.

Either way, I'm interested in your answer...

Cheers,

Andy

Well Andy the main reason is my G.M always spelled it out that way and he was one of the first one's over here in the sixties so out of respect for him I have always done it his way. Somethings just seem right, in the way you are tought. Just for the record I can show over 10,000 other people, schools and books that spell it that way.
icon10.gif

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well Andy the main reason is my G.M always spelled it out that way and he was one of the first one's over here in the sixties so out of respect for him I have always done it his way. Somethings just seem right, in the way you are tought.

That's fair enough. I didn't know whether you had a special meaning to having it in three words, that's all.

Just for the record I can show over 10,000 other people, schools and books that spell it that way.
icon10.gif

I'm sure you can... ;-)

When you wrote that, I did a quick Google search for "Tae Kwon Do", "Taekwondo" and "Taekwon-do" (using the quotes to ensure an exact match). The result might be interesting to someone:

"Tae Kwon Do" 1,920,000 results
"Taekwondo" 11,300,000 results
"Taekwon-do" 813,000 results

So your way of writing it is more popular than the ITF way, but the KKW/WTF way is the popularity winner :)

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's fair enough. I didn't know whether you had a special meaning to having it in three words, that's all.

I'm sure you can... ;-)

When you wrote that, I did a quick Google search for "Tae Kwon Do", "Taekwondo" and "Taekwon-do" (using the quotes to ensure an exact match). The result might be interesting to someone:

So your way of writing it is more popular than the ITF way, but the KKW/WTF way is the popularity winner :)

Wow now that is amazing that so many spell it one of the three ways and that is on google.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
These. Though as was said the use of Olympic might get you in trouble. Use Competitive or another synonym though and you can keep the existing name while refocusing your brand.

Actually my suggestion might get him in trouble due to the use of the word "Olympic" but I was only going with what was suggested.

How would Carol's post get him in trouble?

And I am still going with keep "Twin Dragons" Get rid of that and you lose a lot after so many years of hard work to get where you are.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

That shouldn't surprise anyone. The KKW did win the TKD wars after all. :) They're the biggest and the most organized group at this point.

Of course, I've got to wonder if we counted everyone in the world involved in TKD somehow and group them in KKW, ITF, or 'other', which group would have the most people in it. I've a nagging suspicion that there's an awful lot of small, unaffiliated dojang out there.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I sure hope the people who train with you know where they are, and the people who's butts you kick at competition will learn soon enough! ;)

keep Twin Dragons, at least for another few years, it's your trade mark, your reputation. Even John Melencamp didn't drop the Cougar all at once.

'Arlington Competition training Center', TKD one or 3 words, has a nice ring to it.

Latest Discussions