Thinking of a name change

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry,

Honestly, I could care less what the USOC thinks. They wont do anything for using the word Olympic. They dont own the rights to the word. And you are a registered school with the NGB of the sanctioned sport and participate in that style so its not a misrepresentation.

Anyway, personally, I would keep the original schools name. Maybe add the other as a Slogan or surname.

Twin Dragons TKD

Arlington Olympic TKD training Center

oh, and we too used the 3 words... not that it matters... I use both Tae Kwon Do and Taekwondo.

not the 3rd, taekwon-do.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Incorporate under the new name and keep the old name under your new corp. name. This way you can franchise schools later if you want to branch out.

Also it is OK to use the Olympic name just as long as you do not use the Olympic trade mark with it. Clearly stated in the link provided by TKD Father.

Also by Incorporating with the new name you should also make sure that you do it under the 501C aspect. This way you can be a non profit that can accecpt donation. This way your Twin Dragons name could still be a for profit company.

My old GM is doing just this thing. Will take some time and planning but is a better business plan and there are a ton of things that can be done to drive business to you via youth programs and such that will be paid for due to your 501C.

Just something to look into.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My wife wants to change the name of the school from Twin Dragons Tae Kwon Do to Arlington Olympic Tae Kwon Do Training Center, as always we will still teach what we consider traditional classes at their regular times but this would bring to the forefront that we are also a major player in the area with the sportside of TKD as well. We have done nothing but get better each and every year with all of our players and my wife believe we should capitolize on the sport aspect now since we have been so dominate in this area. What is everyone elses take on the name change?
Twin dragons is a way cooler name but you guys do what you need to do.
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Incorporate under the new name and keep the old name under your new corp. name. This way you can franchise schools later if you want to branch out.

probably one of the more sensible ideas to date...

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife wants to change the name of the school from Twin Dragons Tae Kwon Do to Arlington Olympic Tae Kwon Do Training Center, as always we will still teach what we consider traditional classes at their regular times but this would bring to the forefront that we are also a major player in the area with the sportside of TKD as well. We have done nothing but get better each and every year with all of our players and my wife believe we should capitolize on the sport aspect now since we have been so dominate in this area. What is everyone elses take on the name change?

Seeing that there seems to be some questions over the use of the word "Olympic" you could omit that part and put in part of the old name. So it would read: Arlington Dragons TKD Training Center.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
terry whatever you decide I HIGHLY recommend that you DO NOT change it to

Martial Talk Ultimate Post Whore Extreme
Tae Kwon Do Training Center

:D

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I could care less what the USOC thinks. They wont do anything for using the word Olympic. They dont own the rights to the word.

Actually they do own the rights to the word. Quoting from the link TKD_Father posted:

The Olympic trademarks protected by statute (36 U.S.C. 220506(c)) include: the name "UNITED STATES OLYMPIC COMMITTEE”; the symbol of the International Olympic Committee, consisting of five interlocking rings; the words "Olympic", "Olympiad" and "Citius Altius Fortius,"
http://www.inta.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=187&Itemid=59&getcontent=1

I'd be careful - you may consider yourself morally right (it's just a word, no one can own a word it's just language) legally it's a different situation.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would be hesitant to change the name too drastically or too quickly as it can give the impression that the business is under new management or has changed in some way. As a business owner myself I know all too well how important brand/logo are especially in a well established business. "Twin Dragons competition tkd academy" has a ring to it.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would be hesitant to change the name too drastically or too quickly as it can give the impression that the business is under new management or has changed in some way. As a business owner myself I know all too well how important brand/logo are especially in a well established business. "Twin Dragons competition tkd academy" has a ring to it.

Yes.... A corny 80s action movie.

Probably the hero is a nobody whose girl / brother gets killed / kinapped or who gets bullied. Then he finds an old and unlikely martial arts master who trains him and in the end he beats the bad guys and rights the wrong.

Seriously. That is the associations that come up when I read that name. It's like the local 'Scorpion Warrior Ninja' society that is somewhere around here. They are an American org, with everything you can expect from such a name.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes.... A corny 80s action movie.

Probably the hero is a nobody whose girl / brother gets killed / kinapped or who gets bullied. Then he finds an old and unlikely martial arts master who trains him and in the end he beats the bad guys and rights the wrong.

Seriously. That is the associations that come up when I read that name. It's like the local 'Scorpion Warrior Ninja' society that is somewhere around here. They are an American org, with everything you can expect from such a name.
Of course my idea would be 'corny',.......Im Australian.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is everyone elses take on the name change?

Have you had one of your players make an appearance in the Olympics yet? Are you wanting the majority of your new students to be focused on going to the Olympics? I think those are going to be the main things potential new students are going to have in their mind when checking out your school. You should have a good answer for them if these are not things you want or that your students have (as yet) accomplished.

Also be prepared for the possibility that more self-defense or traditional minded potential students will give your school a pass based on the new name. It's all about branding and projecting the image you want the public to associate with your school.

Pax,

Chris

OP
terryl965

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have you had one of your players make an appearance in the Olympics yet? Are you wanting the majority of your new students to be focused on going to the Olympics? I think those are going to be the main things potential new students are going to have in their mind when checking out your school. You should have a good answer for them if these are not things you want or that your students have (as yet) accomplished.

Also be prepared for the possibility that more self-defense or traditional minded potential students will give your school a pass based on the new name. It's all about branding and projecting the image you want the public to associate with your school.

Pax,

Chris

Well first off no, I have no one that has been in the Olympics and to my knowledge 99.8 of all the school that do Olympic style speering has no either. The majority of my students are doing nothing but Olympic stytle sparring and want to compete at it, I do have several classes design just for traditional style or old school.

As far as the USOC is concern because I called them, they have no problem with a TKD school using the term Olympictop descibe the style of sparring they do since that is what it is called. They did have a problem withthe words like this Arling Olympic TKD Training center , but I can use Arlington TKD Olympic style center. I am not sure whatI am going to do but alot of my parents and such believe some sort of add on would bring in more students.

I will never leave out any tradirtional style of TKD or self defense but so many youth want the full contact sparring that Olympic style has going for it, because point sparring is all light contact around here.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course my idea would be 'corny',.......Im Australian.

I've been watching Aussie reality TV shows recently, mostly because I really appreciate the laid back, ' no worries' attitude when there's a crisis on! Love the one about the Bondi lifeguards, one guy says on spotting a female in need of rescue " ah she's face down in the water, not a good look" priceless! but never corny!
Corny is the American programme about lifeguards, pounding music and over exited commentary, everything's a drama where in Oz nothing is! :ultracool

I've never got the impression that Olympic TKD is full contact though.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've been watching Aussie reality TV shows recently, mostly because I really appreciate the laid back, ' no worries' attitude when there's a crisis on! Love the one about the Bondi lifeguards, one guy says on spotting a female in need of rescue " ah she's face down in the water, not a good look" priceless! but never corny!
Corny is the American programme about lifeguards, pounding music and over exited commentary, everything's a drama where in Oz nothing is! :ultracool

I've never got the impression that Olympic TKD is full contact though.

Tez Olympic TKD is full contact it just does not allow punching to the head, so all kicks are full speed and full contact all puches to the body is full contact. Point sparring here has become light to no contact, between TKD and MMA that is where people can actually hit someone.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez Olympic TKD is full contact it just does not allow punching to the head, so all kicks are full speed and full contact all puches to the body is full contact. Point sparring here has become light to no contact, between TKD and MMA that is where people can actually hit someone.

Strikes to the body may be full contact but they still wear body protectors though so it's not full contact to the body exactly though?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Strikes to the body may be full contact but they still wear body protectors though so it's not full contact to the body exactly though?

Tez I will tell you this the Hogu does not protect like people believe it does, anytime anybody would love to put one on and get kicked full speeed by my sn Zachary who is only 16 and wieghs 142 go a head. After you pick yourself up and start to breath again tell me how much it really protects? people get the wrong impression about what the hogu is for, it carrys the scoring area and very little protection. I am not trying to put anybody or anything down but please do not believe how much protection it carrys and the head and all parts to it is full contct with kicks.

Lets just say until you ahve been on the other end hit by someone that really understand how to kick and deliver than you would never really know.:asian:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Tez I will tell you this the Hogu does not protect like people believe it does, anytime anybody would love to put one on and get kicked full speeed by my sn Zachary who is only 16 and wieghs 142 go a head. After you pick yourself up and start to breath again tell me how much it really protects? people get the wrong impression about what the hogu is for, it carrys the scoring area and very little protection. I am not trying to put anybody or anything down but please do not believe how much protection it carrys and the head and all parts to it is full contct with kicks.

Lets just say until you ahve been on the other end hit by someone that really understand how to kick and deliver than you would never really know.:asian:

I have actually and there is a difference between that and no protection.:)

Latest Discussions