The Slow Lie

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You either. Like that stuff about a counter-balance helping you do a non-counter-balanced move. I think you just want to believe. :)

You are still counter balancing that kick. Mostly aiming the thing.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Training for speed involves using weights, such as a stick or claw hammer, that will actually when started in motion, by you, will make your arm move faster, simply because the weight of the weapon pulls you along. This helps your body over ride its own self defense mechanism, of being slow to avoid pulling your joints out of socket or something, and in the end you can move faster than if you had not used the weights; however, heavy weights, while doing things slow is not going to ever help your speed, but I'm sure it builds muscle, and you just might feel better about yourself, and girls will like you! :), but again, it won't help you be fast.
That's the first time i have ever heard that one. The weight of a weapon pulls you along? So why do you practice. Is it for kata, self defence? Where does all your power come from to punch. I'm curious.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's the first time i have ever heard that one. The weight of a weapon pulls you along? So why do you practice. Is it for kata, self defence? Where does all your power come from to punch. I'm curious.
Personally, I am more about alignment, and launching my 200+LB body around, and what ever power comes from that, plus letting the weight of the weapon do the work, all ends up being enough.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A punch is just an out and back motion with your hand, the power is in the hip, or the ground, if you are a rooting junky. :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well. If you look at history, I reckon TOD is right. Doubt you would have found many Romans hitting the gym. Thousands of hours on sword drill would have done the muscle work. Yeah would have taken time, but those shields are bloody heavy as well. Just my take on it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well. If you look at history, I reckon TOD is right. Doubt you would have found many Romans hitting the gym. Thousands of hours on sword drill would have done the muscle work. Yeah would have taken time, but those shields are bloody heavy as well. Just my take on it.

We did this on another thread and it was just photo after photo of Chinese/Japanese masters smashing the weights. Do you think strength training is some sort of new trick for fighters?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We did this on another thread and it was just photo after photo of Chinese/Japanese masters smashing the weights. Do you think strength training is some sort of new trick for fighters?

Strength no, the full application of strength. Yes that is pretty inherent to the person. You cannot measure that!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Stop the misdirection. Wieght lifting helps the body. Yeah okay heaping muscle mass may add power, some need, some don't. Power is variable.

Ok it is not a misdirection. You gain strength through strength training. That is how you get stronger. Not inherent ability,not chi. Stronger equals better martial artist.

And every culture uses pretty much the same method.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The baseline is inherent ability.

See above.

Generalist answer :)

Ok. If you are 150kg just walking around you will get stronger than if you are 50kg

If you are 50kg you will get stronger if you lift weights than if you don't lift weight. There is nothing you can do about other people but you can do something about you. So I don't know how inherent ability is a factor in your martial arts training.

Not generalist. Not even my idea. A whole thread full of people saying strength training makes you a better martial artist. All different styles and different cultures.

Which basically makes it an accepted idea in martial arts circles.

Latest Discussions