The Slow Lie

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. If you are 150kg just walking around you will get stronger than if you are 50kg

If you are 50kg you will get stronger if you lift weights than if you don't lift weight. There is nothing you can do about other people but you can do something about you. So I don't know how inherent ability is a factor in your martial arts training.

Not generalist. Not even my idea. A whole thread full of people saying strength training makes you a better martial artist. All different styles and different cultures.

Which basically makes it an accepted idea in martial arts circles.

Martial Arts circles which is you! You are always citing others :)

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Depends upon what weight strengthening one does. Strengthening the proper muscles that one punches and kicks with will help greatly.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Martial Arts circles which is you! You are always citing others :)

Well a whole bunch of people on this forum plus whoever those guys were smashing the weights in that thread I linked.

And that was without bothering to find my own links to the benefits of strength training.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In fact, I will attest that dropping French and taking a weight lifting class, in high school, was probably one of the smartest things I have ever done. The job I do requires that skill, and I am one of the only people running around, there, that is all gimped up from a lifting injury. That being said, it didn't make me any faster. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
How many times do I have to tell you, I don't have a problem with weight lifting. I just know it doesn't increase your speed. Stamina, maybe, but not speed. :)

Ok. And how do you know it doesn't increase speed?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In fact, I will attest that dropping French and taking a weight lifting class, in high school, was probably one of the smartest things I have ever done. The job I do requires that skill, and I am one of the only people running around, there, that is all gimped up from a lifting injury. That being said, it didn't make me any faster. :)

It makes sprinters faster.
Weight Training Program for Sprinters and Fast Running lifting for speed&utm_content=p1-main-2-title&utm_medium=sem&utm_source=msn&utm_campaign=adid-067146c5-ea92-42f4-b9e5-b8b7fd8c9192-0-ab_msb_ocode-29642&ad=semD&an=msn_s&am=broad&q=weight lifting for speed&dqi=weight%2520lifting%2520speed%2520increase&o=29642&l=sem&qsrc=999&askid=067146c5-ea92-42f4-b9e5-b8b7fd8c9192-0-ab_msb

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Martial arts strength training

A wing chun article on strength training. Just in case you think conditioning only exists for sports fighters.

Intersting choice of article, Drop. Indeed, Wing Chun is one of the arts where there is a lot of resistance to typical weight lifting exercises since some lineages place such great emphasis on relaxation in power generation. Back when I was lifting I did find that getting a bit bulkier did interfere with my quickness in drills like Chi Sau. Part of that is they way I was lifting. Curls, as TOD mentioned, were not helpful in WC. Basically we need to develop othe muscles used in extending our punches more. But on the other hand, bulgy biceps look so cool.

Another problem with developing more mass is that you have more inertia. Great for driving power, but not so good for drills like Chi-Sau that require "sensitivity" and the ability to move with your opponent's ent's energy, feeling for oppenings and making quick changes to penetrate his defences without resorting to "crashing force". However, it's good to remember that Chi-Sau is just a training exercise. An important one, but still just a drill. People seem to forget that WC, like any martial art, is ultimately about fighting. And strength is very helpful. And strength training is part of WC

Well that's all history now. Lately all I've got is a bulgy gut. And I can fight better than ever ...as long as its only on a keyboard!:p

Troubadour

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess, being a musician myself, I'm pretty firmly in the camp of "go slow to perfect the small details as much as possible before speeding up."

I see so many kids/teens in classes that fly through their practice (lazy loose fists, poor stances, no power behind strikes and blocks, etc...). I guess I just don't see any upside to not first taking everything a step at a time to make sure everything is as correct as possible.

Yeah, you'd want to be fast in a real combat situation, but if that was the case, I'm going to use what I AM fast and comfortable with. I'm not going to try a fancy take-down I'm not comfortable practicing.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess, being a musician myself, I'm pretty firmly in the camp of "go slow to perfect the small details as much as possible before speeding up."

I see so many kids/teens in classes that fly through their practice (lazy loose fists, poor stances, no power behind strikes and blocks, etc...). I guess I just don't see any upside to not first taking everything a step at a time to make sure everything is as correct as possible.

Yeah, you'd want to be fast in a real combat situation, but if that was the case, I'm going to use what I AM fast and comfortable with. I'm not going to try a fancy take-down I'm not comfortable practicing.
The same result in music can be achieved by playing at normal speed, but stopping and re-starting, from the beginning, at each mistake, but as you are talking about the learning phase, and I am talking about something a bit different.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score

The trouble arises when people believe that speed...training at speed...and training specifically to become faster is somehow bad because... "slow is smooth".

That mindset is flat wrong.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The trouble arises when people believe that speed...training at speed...and training specifically to become faster is somehow bad because... "slow is smooth".

That mindset is flat wrong.
Its in the same neighborhood as "weight training will make me bulky/slow/less dependent on technique... Etc.

Its all based more on myth and anecdotes than it is on exercise science that seems fairly well proven.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How many times do I have to tell you, I don't have a problem with weight lifting. I just know it doesn't increase your speed. Stamina, maybe, but not speed. :)
If you train with

- "explosive/exponential" speed with your weight, you will increase your speed.
- "constant" speed with your weight, you won't increase your speed.

Latest Discussions