The Slow Lie

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Timing in the martial arts means the same thing as your basic run of the mill timing. It means that your actions or in-actions happen on a timeline.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But your punches have better timing from a set point of reference.
But the thing is its 'somebody elses timeline'you have to contend with. Opponents hit back! No good turning up for a 5:00 oclock bus at 5:30

Dont you guys kick too?

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
But the thing is its 'somebody elses timeline'you have to contend with. Opponents hit back! No good turning up for a 5:00 oclock bus at 5:30

Dont you guys kick too?
In the system in which I train, kicks are only inserts, to aid your hand jive. :)

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
In the system in which I train, kicks are only inserts, to aid your hand jive. :)
Oh well, bang goes the method of drawing his attention to your hands and kicking him in the shin then punching him. Waza is a tried and tested technique. We can break waza down into form/shape (kata). To be be practice fast or slow until its inbuilt and can be performed in a relaxed fast manner in combat with out having to thing about it. If a guy is trying to hit you back most of it will go out the window anyway without daily continuous practice of at least a few hours a day.

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh well, bang goes the method of drawing his attention to your hands and kicking him in the shin then punching him. Waza is a tried and tested technique. We can break waza down into form/shape (kata). To be be practice fast or slow until its inbuilt and can be performed in a relaxed fast manner in combat with out having to thing about it. If a guy is trying to hit you back most of it will go out the window anyway without daily continuous practice of at least a few hours a day.
That sounded like an aid to me, but I am more privy to kicking his leg right out from under him. :)

Argus

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
The whole "slow is smooth, smooth is fast" meme is for teaching fundamentals to beginners. The meme is popular in the shooting arts, yet competitive shooters train with shot timers for a reason...

Read this one:

http://modernserviceweapons.com/?p=12670

and/or this one:

Want to Shoot Faster Slow isn t Fast Shooting Illustrated

An important concept in tactical shooting training is to push yourself to shoot faster...to the point where you start missing...that's how you you find your limits and how you determine what you need to work on to shoot accurately at that speed.

Then you push to shoot even faster. You train to be fast by practicing fast. "Slowing down" to smooth out your technique is ALL RELATIVE. My slowing down my shooting to work on "smoothness" will probably still be far faster than a lesser trained shooter. And I'm only slowing down so that I can push my speed even faster once I have the technique ingrained.

1. It isn't a "meme"

2. Why do you belittle "fundamentals" taught to "beginners?"

3. Why do you compare the speed of your "slow and smooth" to that of a beginner?

Of course it is important to push your limits. Of course your movements will be smoother, quicker, and more accurate than a beginner's. No-one is refuting any of that. But rest assured, if you think that only chasing speed will make you faster, and that you needn't ever "slow down" to become faster, you'll have a very difficult time expanding your limits compared to someone who takes this "meme," and these "fundamentals taught to beginners" to heart.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A mentor Iwata Norikazu. All Japan Champion and holder of 'two' menkyo kaiden who passed away at 98 two years ago once said to me, "Any idiot can do things fast and usually makes a mess of it".

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't someone correcting your technique helping your technique?
Sure, and I can do stuff slow, lol, but Going into some weird counter-balance to move around, only builds a skill to do just that. You aren't even using the same muscles to do the task, at that point.

LibbyW

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A mentor Iwata Norikazu. All Japan Champion and holder of 'two' menkyo kaiden who passed away at 98 two years ago once said to me, "Any idiot can do things fast and usually makes a mess of it".

He told me exactly the same thing :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sure, and I can do stuff slow, lol, but Going into some weird counter-balance to move around, only builds a skill to do just that. You aren't even using the same muscles to do the task, at that point.

Training the support muscles and your core. Which should help your kick.

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Want to Shoot Faster Slow isn t Fast Shooting Illustrated

Slow is Smooth

It is all about economy of motion. The thought behind this saying is that by moving slow, you can teach yourself the most efficient way to move your hand to the gun on a draw or move the magazine to the magazine well on a reload. This is one of the greatest advantages of dry fire—to practice the perfect motion in a controlled environment. The goal of practicing “slow” is to perform the most economical draw stroke or reload, over and over. But, as you develop a consistent movement, you must add speed. Here’s where people start to hang up, because they forget that just going slow and having a really efficient movement won’t actually turn into speed unless you actually practice going fast.

Fast is Fast

As you’re practicing that efficient, smooth motion, you’ve got to add speed. Keep adding speed. Then, keep adding speed. Add speed to your motion until it totally comes apart. If you’re practicing shooting splits for example, start shooting until you’re shooting so fast you cannot shoot all A-zone or all “down zero” hits. That way, you can establish the upper-end for your speed—the point where your clean motions fall apart and you get rushed and sloppy. Once you establish that point, you can back off the speed a little. Shoot at 80 to 90 percent of your max speed, gradually pushing for more speed as you go. You can’t expect to shoot 1.2-second draws from the get-go, but if you’re shooting 1.5-second draws, you can certainly chase that number. Eventually, you’ll nail it.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a difference between speed, and trying to be fast.
Yes.

In shooting its sometimes phrased as "you can't win by missing faster".

However that doesn't mean your goal is to be slow. You should always be working to operate at your fastest effective speed.

Latest Discussions