The rant thread

Reiker

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Reiker, just wanted you to know that you didn't offend me. We still good, right? :)

:) yeah of course. (and I'm glad I didn't offend)

It's just that this look like it's changing from what I think is a valid point Don made and I backed up, into a bit of a catwalk.

So I thought I'd stop disrupting Don's thread and wait for the next rant, I think I have enjoyed everything I have seen him raise so far :)

Reiker.

saru1968

Green Belt
Reaction score
:) yeah of course. (and I'm glad I didn't offend)

It's just that this look like it's changing from what I think is a valid point Don made and I backed up, into a bit of a catwalk.

So I thought I'd stop disrupting Don's thread and wait for the next rant, I think I have enjoyed everything I have seen him raise so far :)

Reiker.

The whole thread is a rant so don't worry about it, although depending on what area in the Uk i'd be careful about 'what one raises!'..lol

:whip1:

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know what... I'm not even gonna post the reply I wrote to all you people.

I just have one question for Don, Nim, or Reiker... where do I sign up for the "Bujinkan Dress Code" newsletter?

Hey, I don't have probelems with folks dressing a little alternative. I just have problems with the rambo wanna-bes posturing on theirwebsites. If I tell people what art I do, I don't want their pictures popping up on a google search.

Mohawks, died hair, leather biker jackets.....heck I have dressed worse. It is the folks that dress in order to try to scare others that have the problems I think.

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Whats wrong with goths?

Well, I don't find goths scary. In fact, I am trying to lure a female one into a box to send to John.

Clowns...... now thats scary. Their rubber noses....their large feet.....oh the horror, the horror!!!!!:xtrmshock

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Goth-in-a-box! now there's an idea.....

THAT IS MY IDEA YOU CANT STEAL IT!.

And by the way, I am not goth, I am a rivethead. Its less about black nail polish and vampire fangs, as it is about leather chains spikes cyberpunk and chrome... and it isn't about being scary, or intimidating anyone... goth really isnt either.

It's more or less a filter, designed to find like minded individuals without having to go thru a lot of b.s. The subcultures are fairly interchangable tho, and Ive dated goth chicks. In fact I LIKE to date goth chicks.

Now, Emo kids? *shudder* If i start seeing Emo kids on Buj websites, THEN I'll rant about fashion.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
THAT IS MY IDEA YOU CANT STEAL IT!.

And by the way, I am not goth, I am a rivethead. Its less about black nail polish and vampire fangs, as it is about leather chains spikes cyberpunk and chrome... and it isn't about being scary, or intimidating anyone... goth really isnt either.

It's more or less a filter, designed to find like minded individuals without having to go thru a lot of b.s. The subcultures are fairly interchangable tho, and Ive dated goth chicks. In fact I LIKE to date goth chicks.

Now, Emo kids? *shudder* If i start seeing Emo kids on Buj websites, THEN I'll rant about fashion.

Emo? What the hell is that? I had to go google that one. All I can say is... ok....? Strange. :eek:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I don't find goths scary. In fact, I am trying to lure a female one into a box to send to John.

Clowns...... now thats scary. Their rubber noses....their large feet.....oh the horror, the horror!!!!!:xtrmshock

You want scary... You oughta see Jugaloos! These guys & gals are rabid fans of Insane Clown Posse... and basically look kinda like Goth clowns!

(Sorry... Couldn't find a convenient link, or I'd have included one.)

Rubber Tanto

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You want scary... You oughta see Jugaloos! These guys & gals are rabid fans of Insane Clown Posse... and basically look kinda like Goth clowns!

(Sorry... Couldn't find a convenient link, or I'd have included one.)

here...

juggalojuggalette-15650.jpg

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are they still putting out albums? Didn't their last one sell about 27 copies?
I can't speak for the band... but the fans are beginning to cause problems. They have been found to be kind of violent on occasion and I've seen more than one advisory alert on them. Granted... sometimes those are just kneejerk reactions to a "different" group, but they're from reasonably credible sources.

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
One thing that annoys me is people that do not take responsibility for their own training and advancement. I am talking about people that try to say that because of certain things, they are good or getting good. I do not know how common it is in other arts, but I think I see a lot of it in people in the Bujinkan.

Nothing can make you good if you do not take responsibility on the deepest level for your advancement. Some people may not have the same reseources or chances, but if they are determined to do the best they can with what they have they will get better than people with more than they.

And in the Bujinkan I see people that seem to think that because they come to Japan to train, then they automatically are better than they were. I can also say the same about the rank they were given or the amount of time they are in the art, etc.

Hey, I think everyone that can should come to Japan to train with the best teachers in the art. But the teachers can only lay out the information. It is up to us to learn the damn lessons. This does not happen with a lot of people that seem to think that just being in the same room with Hatsumi makes them skilled. There are guys going to dojos in America every week that seem to put more into actually gaining new insight than a lot of people I see here.

There is one guy that has been in Japan for a few years and makes a big point of that. But some of us were recently in the Mister Donut shop near Ayase when he came in and had to order coffee and suger completly in English. He did not even speak enough Japanese to ask for suger in Japanese.

Seriously, if someone is going to live in a country and not even try to learn the language, what hope is it that they will crack open the bones and such the marrow of anything they do? As you can guess, people I know who have seen him in action all speak badly of his knowledge of taijutsu.

I can have the best teacher, but be a bad student. The worst students seem to be the ones that make the most of being a student of a skilled teacher. The others are too busy trying to steal the lessons of the teacher to be concerned with what others think.

And I am seeing more and more cases it seems of people that seem to think that just because they made it to Japan that they are assured that will become budo masters. Their attitude would not impact me if it were not for the fact that these bozos take up space at training.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So I'm on my way home from work, and decide to take a peek at a beginners's session at a neighboring dojo. Just to give you an idea of the atmosphere, first consider this - at my primary dojo, we discuss things like work, the theme of the year, poker, nutrition, weight training, grappling, ryuha trivia, stretching, all of our injuries of various kinds and of course, quite a bit of Bujinkan behind-the-scenes gossip. In this dojo however, the most popular subjects are Lord of The Rings, alternative/underground comics, punk rock, manga/anime, the Japanese language, and Linux programming. Make of this what you will.

In any case, it doesn't take long for me to notice that all the prevailing TMA stereotypes are present. There's the wisecracking 20something girl wearing a PETA t-shirt who punches with her thumb inside her fist, the long-haired kids with glasses and Iron Maiden apparel, the huge but friendly guy nobody can get anything to work on, and of course the slightly perplexed white-collar guys with obvious Shotokan experience.
In charge of the whole thing is none other than the aforementioned back-bending third dan.

What draws my attention the most, however, are three training couples in the far right of the room. The first consists of two kids about fourteen or fifteen years of age, both obvious metalheads, who for some reason don't dare to perform techniques to the point of finish on each other. They're being demonstrated an omote gyaku, which elsewhere in the room leads to the uke falling or at least bending over (albeit voluntarily due to the pain), but these two seem to have some sort of unspoken agreement that they're not going to make each other hit the floor. They simply grab the arm, twist and lower it slightly, and then let go. This goes on without any of them being corrected.

The second consists of two other kids maybe a couple of years older, one of which wears a white gi jacket and the other a HIM t-shirt. They're both obviously more interested in trying to score a hit or kick on each other than actually training. More than once they keep fooling around even when the instructor's demonstrating a new technique. Not one word is spoken to them by the instructor other than the advice to hit with the heel of the foot when training with focus pads.

The third couple consists of two very poorly coordinated gentlemen in their late 30's/early 40's. Like the previous couple, on several occasions they don't stop talking or training even when the instructor is demonstrating a new technique, and even when they do, they're quick to make all kinds of changes and modifications they may think of (presumably because they both consider themselves to be intelligent, mature adults who enrolled in this class voluntarily and as such are free to follow instructions as they see fit because after all, they're paying for it).
Oddly enough, both of them seem to have the preconceived notion that they're supposed to punch in a karate fashion - they both rotate their fists and bring the other hand back to their hip when punching despite never having been told to do so.

Comment away.