The rant thread

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen it happen by accident to Hatsumi-sensei. He still flattened the idiot, then made him get up and do it correctly this time. :)

"Accidents" such as punching with the wrong hand as the kata, kicking by mistake, coming in *WAY* too fast, are good for you--not in the sense of learning the kata, but in the sense of knowing whether your body automatically handles itself. If you have trained properly, things will come together naturally....

This is very different than "sparring" which creates anticipation and instills a sense of being "on guard." My rule is that when these accidents happen, let the body handle it naturally, even if it means that you do not actually do the official technique. So long as you are safe, everything is good. One cannot be captured by the technique.

Then go back to doing what you are supposed to do, and listening to the points that the teacher is emphasizing. A good teacher that is paying attention *MAY* actually build on what just happened to you, and address it. Hatsumi-sensei does this all the time!

In the end, you should go back to thinking about how the technique could be adjusted to reflect that "accidental" dynamic by yourself.

Just some thoughts.

-ben
It's one thing to throw a punch faster than the teacher wanted for demonstration purposes, or to misunderstand and throw the wrong punch or a kick...

And I ALWAYS want students to punch AT ME when I'm trying to demonstrate, not at some guy 2 feet to my left or right that nobody else can see...

I typically want the punch thrown with speed and intent, as well; I'll tell them what speed I want if I want it thrown slower, for example...

The first is an accident; they happen. I'll roll with it. (OK... I damn near cleaned one guy's clock after the third "accident" in a row when I was trying to show something...) The others are required for me to demonstrate what I intend to show.

But if someone is deliberately throwing the wrong technique or otherwise screwing around as they're being honored to be used to demonstrate a technique... That's beyond rude. I always learn more in the "demonstratee" or uke role; I have an incredible view of the technique and how it's supposed to feel there. I'd have very little patience with a student who decided to test me by purposely throwing a kick instead of punch, or something like that. And , I suspect, that my lack of patience would probable end up with someone falling down... That sort of stupidity is robbing all the students of the opportunity to learn!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing that annoys me is people that do not take responsibility for their own training and advancement. I am talking about people that try to say that because of certain things, they are good or getting good. I do not know how common it is in other arts, but I think I see a lot of it in people in the Bujinkan.

It's pretty common... Lots of people (at least here in the US) seem to want someone else to make them "good" and somehow give them skill. I repeatedly and pointedly tell my students that class is not enough practice... And I can still tell who doesn't practice in between classes. If they don't want to practice... We'll just keep doing the same thing until they manage to learn it...
Nothing can make you good if you do not take responsibility on the deepest level for your advancement. Some people may not have the same reseources or chances, but if they are determined to do the best they can with what they have they will get better than people with more than they.

And in the Bujinkan I see people that seem to think that because they come to Japan to train, then they automatically are better than they were. I can also say the same about the rank they were given or the amount of time they are in the art, etc.

I've seen similar things; people figure that since they've trained with So&So, they are automatically better than others. I'm incredibly fortunate in who my instructor is; I don't think there are any who are better teachers, and damn few who are even his equal, with the exception of his teacher.

There is one guy that has been in Japan for a few years and makes a big point of that. But some of us were recently in the Mister Donut shop near Ayase when he came in and had to order coffee and suger completly in English. He did not even speak enough Japanese to ask for suger in Japanese.

Seriously, if someone is going to live in a country and not even try to learn the language, what hope is it that they will crack open the bones and such the marrow of anything they do? As you can guess, people I know who have seen him in action all speak badly of his knowledge of taijutsu.

Well... You haven't been here in the States for a while, I guess. Apparently, in light of how much I have to speak Spanish, people aren't supposed to bother to learn the language of the country where they live...

Though I have found that I'm an incredibly gifted language instructor, at least at work! I use a few magic words, and that guy who didn't speak a word of English suddenly is fluent... (Those words? Arrest; ticket; jail... Amazing how many people are suddenly able to curse me in a language they didn't even know when I say those words...)

I can have the best teacher, but be a bad student. The worst students seem to be the ones that make the most of being a student of a skilled teacher. The others are too busy trying to steal the lessons of the teacher to be concerned with what others think.

And I am seeing more and more cases it seems of people that seem to think that just because they made it to Japan that they are assured that will become budo masters. Their attitude would not impact me if it were not for the fact that these bozos take up space at training.

I like your phrasing above... The "real" students are the ones that just plain come in, work out/train, and practice. They ask questions like "what I am doing wrong?" or "I didn't understand..." not "why do we do this" or "why can't I..." They follow directions; they don't assume that they know something until they've practiced it for years. The others? They figure they've done it once or twice; they've got it. They preoccupy themselves with variations instead of learning the fundamental principle... or even worse, they ignore the lesson to do their own thing...

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's one thing to throw a punch faster than the teacher wanted for demonstration purposes, or to misunderstand and throw the wrong punch or a kick...

And I ALWAYS want students to punch AT ME when I'm trying to demonstrate, not at some guy 2 feet to my left or right that nobody else can see...
Yeah, this is what I was getting at with my previous post. I've seen some pretty weak attacks thrown at Hatsumi sensei or one of the Japanese shihan by supposedly highly ranked people. In fact, on the What is Martial Arts? video (or possibly Kobudo no Kihon, going from memory here) one of Hatsumi sensei's uke throws a punch at him that stops a foot short of reaching him. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to sensei, I was throwing a real punch at his face. He doesn't need me (or any of his uke, for that matter) to play ragdoll.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah, this is what I was getting at with my previous post. I've seen some pretty weak attacks thrown at Hatsumi sensei or one of the Japanese shihan by supposedly highly ranked people. In fact, on the What is Martial Arts? video (or possibly Kobudo no Kihon, going from memory here) one of Hatsumi sensei's uke throws a punch at him that stops a foot short of reaching him. I wasn't trying to be disrespectful to sensei, I was throwing a real punch at his face. He doesn't need me (or any of his uke, for that matter) to play ragdoll.

I'm not defending those who do this, but I can understand why they're doing it.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think there are too many people who are too afraid to stand up to others who are being blatant idiots or dangerous to others. And I think part of our art is knowing when to step up and make the right call....

-ben

Sometimes it seems to me that with increased rank in the Bujinkan comes LESS responsibility instead of more. Anyone else know what I mean?

rutherford

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd write a longer rant, but it'd be mostly swearing.

Don Roley
Account Closed

Good bye, Don. You'll be missed.

LuzRD

Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd write a longer rant, but it'd be mostly swearing.

Don Roley
Account Closed

Good bye, Don. You'll be missed.

qft

Dangit!! well i hope Don and his family a safe and happy life. and a thank you for all that he has done (and will do) for the Bujinkan. :asian:

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Due to the insanely ridiculous slander that Dale Seago has been a victim of elsewhere recently, here's a little something of my own.

"Monday, someone died because he hurt me and I cut him without thinking.
Tuesday, an animal died because it was too dangerous to be free.
Wednesday, a thief died so everyone will respect private property.
Thursday, some politico died because his ideas were crazy and too contagious.
Friday, some rapist died because he left his victim wishing she was dead.
He had to die wishing he was alive.
Saturday, I killed a condemned man so no one would get blood on his hands.
Sunday, I rested.
Monday, six people jumped me so I cut them without thinking."

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Due to the insanely ridiculous slander that Dale Seago has been a victim of elsewhere recently, here's a little something of my own.

Sunday, I rested.

Is Dale getting attacked for the Mythbuster's episode? If so, I think it's totally undeserved. HE did the best he could; he had to work with what they wanted to do, and he had no control over why they decided to do some of the sillier things in that episode. (Why did they choose the water walking stuff, of all the ninja myths? Why not something more dramatic and less silly, like vertical running or even invisibility?) Dale did a great job, and I personally think that, overall, the episode wasn't bad.

(I guess you can consider this a mini-rant about people complaining about TV shows/movies without knowing anything about the process!)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sunday, I rested.

I now know what you are talking about and it is not the mythbuster's show. I will let Dale come around and talk about it when he get's the chance rather than dragging it over here.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To me this whole thing speaks volumes about how easily people allow themselves to be manipulated and upset by mere words, and how uneasy people feel about having their heads ****** with (which is *EXTREMELY* strange, given the Bujinkan "trademark" principle of kyojitsu tenkan).

So much for the grasp of Fudoshin.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I now know what you are talking about and it is not the mythbuster's show. I will let Dale come around and talk about it when he get's the chance rather than dragging it over here.
I'm glad it's not about Mythbusters.

Too bad there seems to be succh significant disharmony...

Spence

White Belt
Reaction score
But you know, there are people that actually tell others that they are all you need to learn a Japanese art. I can point to people in Australia, Texas and other places to show you folks that say they don't need to learn anymore from Japan to teach their Japanese art and you don't need to do anything but go to train with them.

This art deserves better.
Is there anyone else that can point me in the direction of good & bad instructors in Australia now that Don is no longer on here.
It would be good to know who is worth training with & who is not & the more the better as I would like the opportunity to see as many different instructors as I can.

Cheers

kouryuu

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Is there anyone else that can point me in the direction of good & bad instructors in Australia now that Don is no longer on here.
It would be good to know who is worth training with & who is not & the more the better as I would like the opportunity to see as many different instructors as I can.

Cheers

Where in Australia do you live??, then we might be able to help you better.

Spence

White Belt
Reaction score
Country N.S.W about 3 hrs from Sydney.
I regulary drive down to Victoria & Sydney so I am always looking for bujinkan dojos but would be willing to travel anywhere to train, it gives me an excuse to go places for holidays.

Cheers