The Reality of Weapons

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
You are right. They never moved. If they had moved off line and drawn their handgun they probably would have been able to shoot the attacker easily. I know this because we have done this drill in my training hall with air pistols and rubber knives. Staying on line with around 21 feet of distance will probably get you stabbed or slashed. However, as soon as we practice side stepping and drawing the person with the knife cannot change direction once they have seriously committed themselves and then they are vulnerable to be shot.

The other note about the video is that when you observe someone with their hand behind their back, that should send up some serious red flags! What are they hiding? That would be an excellent moment to quickly back up create space and pull your handgun and tell them to get on the ground. The subtle signals that people give off need to be picked up in order to survive in a violent encounter.

The last dueling portion of the video is really just that. The person without the knife should have sidestepped closed and entangled/trapped the other person. To always stay close and kick and basically do nothing is going to ensure that you get cut and stabbed. How realistic was that, if you cannot run away or you do not attempt any sort of control of the opponent. They just did that to prove their point that you will be cut and nothing more.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com
I agree with you 100%. The last part I bolded is dead on! I couldn't have said it better! :D

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Brian R. VanCise said:
The other note about the video is that when you observe someone with their hand behind their back, that should send up some serious red flags! What are they hiding? That would be an excellent moment to quickly back up create space and pull your handgun and tell them to get on the ground. The subtle signals that people give off need to be picked up in order to survive in a violent encounter.

Yes, but it is not enough. If someone conceals their hands it should send off red flags. But even if you can see their hands, some guys can get to and deploy their blades if you lose sight of their hands (such as in a grappling situation) for even a second.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
Yes, but it is not enough. If someone conceals their hands it should send off red flags. But even if you can see their hands, some guys can get to and deploy their blades if you lose sight of their hands (such as in a grappling situation) for even a second.

Hey Don,

There is absolutely no doubt that someone can deploy a knife in a split second. (I know because I practice deploying them) However besides the obvious concealing hands, hand behind the back we need to pick up those subtle signals that tell us that we could be in danger and then act on them. That is exactly one of the reasons why I like Budo Taijutsu so much. (sensitivity) If we can be sensitive to what is going on around us then we have a chance to pick up those not so obvious clues.

Brian R. VanCise
www.instinctiveresponsetraining.com

OP
Don Roley

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:

Not the point of this thread.

There is no doubt that what we do can be deadly. There is no doubt that these arts were built around a reality of killing someone else.

But my point was not that what we do is "too deadly for the street" but rather that other folks might be quite deadly themselves. That low punch may not be a low punch, but rather a concealed knife strike. Do you treat it like a punch or do you treat it like a potential knife attack?

Hey, not every fight is going to involve deadly weapons. And not every trip in the car will reslult in a life- threatening accident. But do you want to train for the best case scenario or the worst? If you train as if they guy does not have a weapon and you run across someone who does, you are dead. As for myself, I always use my seatbelt even though the majority of my trips do not involve impacts with other cars.

That is my point. It is not about us having weapons, though many of us carry more blades than a combine. It is about accepting the reality that someone else may have a weapon and may not be kind enough to show us it before attacking. And we have to take that into account in the stuff we train in and the way we train.

Latest Discussions