skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Personally I recognize that learning to do this stuff properly and with real skill takes time. I am not concerned with someone needing to defend himself after his third lesson. It isn’t my responsibility to give him those skills so quickly and I do not feel it is realistic anyways. In method two, that student won’t be much ahead after three lessons. This idea that something is taught on the first or second or third session and it can be used effectively immediately, I personally don’t buy it. That student still doesn’t really know what he is doing.

Teach them to do it right. That takes time. There is no getting around it. If they need faster defense then they need to buy a gun and learn to use it and practice with that as well.

Guns aren't always available (i.e. Britain, Australia, Hawaii or California). Guns aren't always available even when you are carrying one (the 21-feet rule).

And other people might be satisfied with "good enough" and want it fast enough. You don't like that style, that's fine. But that style exists, people teach it, people like it, and that's why I listed it.

You can't say my list is bad because it contains styles you don't like. That's not a flaw in my list. That's a disagreement you have with the style.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guns aren't always available (i.e. Britain, Australia, Hawaii or California). Guns aren't always available even when you are carrying one (the 21-feet rule).

And other people might be satisfied with "good enough" and want it fast enough. You don't like that style, that's fine. But that style exists, people teach it, people like it, and that's why I listed it.

You can't say my list is bad because it contains styles you don't like. That's not a flaw in my list. That's a disagreement you have with the style.
I’m not saying otherwise. I’m giving my thoughts on this approach to training. I don’t support it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The issue of the TMA is people may spend too much training time on some none effective techniques. Here is one example.

- Can your really hurt your opponent by using the back of your hand to hit on his groin?
- All your opponent needs to do is to move his right leg to his left to block your striking arm.
- Your opponent's 2 free arms can give you a lot of trouble on your head.

The problem is that people have not tested this move on different opponents. If your successful rate is low, this move should be removed from the system.

Without the "sport" testing environment, TMA won't be able to collect enough data to verify which move is effective and which move is not.

This is the true problem for TMA.

I have never seen people who can use the back of his hand to hurt his opponent. Why does anybody even bother to train it?

Last edited:

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
out of curiosity, where in your 5 categories do all of these fall

Bafaquan, Baguazhang, Bajiquan, Bak Mei, Black Tiger Kung Fu, Chaquan, Changquan, Chuo Jiao, Choy Gar, Choy Li Fut, Dachengquan, Ditangquan, Lung Ying, Duan Quan, Emeiquan, Fanziquan, Five Ancestors, Five Animals, Fujian White Crane, Fu Jow Pai, Fut Gar, Gouquan, Hakka Kuen, Hong Cha, Hop Gar, Houquan, Drunken Monkey, Heihuquan, Huaquan, Hung Fut, Hung Gar, Jing Wu Men, Jing Quan Do, Jow-Ga, Kuntao, Lau Gar , Lai Tung Pai, Lama Pai, Leopard Kung Fu, Li Gar, Liuhebafa Chuan, Luohan Quan, Mei Hua Quan, Mian Quan, Mizongyi, Mok Gar, Nam Pai Chuan, Nan Quan, Ng Mui Pai, Northern Praying Mantis, Northern Shaolin, Pai Long, Paochui, Piguaquan, Praying Mantis, Shaolin Quan, Shequan, Shuaijiao, Southern Praying Mantis, Chow Gar, Taijiquan, Tantui, Tibetan White Crane, Tien Shan Pai, Tongbeiquan, White Crane, Wing Chun, Wudangquan, Xingyiquan, Yau Kung Mun, Yingzhaoquan, Yuejiaquan, Yiquan, Zi Ran Men, Taekwondo, Taekkyeon, Subak, Tang Soo Do/Soo Bahk Do, Hapkido arts, Gungdo

And all of these List of Japanese Martial arts

Understand, this is not a complete list

You do not know traditional Taijiquan. But that is not surprising, many who clam to do Taiji do not know tradiatial Taijiquan either
Where would you put them?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Basketball and soccer both use balls you're required to dribble. So anyone who can play basketball should be able to compete in soccer.

The thing is if we did a study on the most effective way to move a ball we could come up with some sort of hybrid test.

Basketball and soccer will still get all but hurt. But at least the evidence would be there.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Where would you put them?

I should also add, I do not even put a lot of faith in the Chinese categories either, categories do not matter to me, and categorizing so many different martial arts seems a daunting task to me for something that, IMHO, does not much matter. I was just wondering where he felt they might fall

Latest Discussions