Is learning ANY martial art better than learning NO martial arts?

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Hi. I have a question...

I believe martial arts aren't created equally. Some martial arts are better than others in certain aspects of combat.

For example, boxing is the best for MMA while karate (arguably) is better in a street fight. We can debate that, yes, but that is not in the scope of this question. The question is this... Between learning no martial arts and learning A martial art, is it better to just go ahead and learn something? Anything?

Is it better to have a knowledge and the skills of a relatively ineffective martial art than just pure freestyle street fighting? Or are we better off just learning to fight by experiencing it?

Obviously, we won't go out of our way to pick fights with others. Just a hypothetical scenario. I want to know if it's worth investing money on a martial arts instructor.

Bonus question: What martial art do you recommend and why?

Thank you.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is it better to learn ANY martial art than nothing? What do you want out of a martial art? If it is self defense for the streetz, something like Iado will be essentially useless. If you are interested in the cultural and spiritual aspects of martial arts, MMA may not be the best choice.
If you're not picking fights, your chances of learning how to fight by experiencing it is kind of limited.

Bonus answer...without knowing what you want out of martial arts and what is available to you in your immediate area, reccomendations of a particular martial art are useless.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Hi. I have a question...

I believe martial arts aren't created equally. Some martial arts are better than others in certain aspects of combat.

For example, boxing is the best for MMA while karate (arguably) is better in a street fight. We can debate that, yes, but that is not in the scope of this question. The question is this... Between learning no martial arts and learning A martial art, is it better to just go ahead and learn something? Anything?

Is it better to have a knowledge and the skills of a relatively ineffective martial art than just pure freestyle street fighting? Or are we better off just learning to fight by experiencing it?

Obviously, we won't go out of our way to pick fights with others. Just a hypothetical scenario. I want to know if it's worth investing money on a martial arts instructor.

Thank you.
the,short answer is yes, you will with out doubt be better able to look after yourself with a proficiency in a ma.

even a kata only art will increase you balance , endurance flexability and co ordination. Which are all good to have in a fight,

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Is it better to learn ANY martial art than nothing? What do you want out of a martial art? If it is self defense for the streetz, something like Iado will be essentially useless. If you are interested in the cultural and spiritual aspects of martial arts, MMA may not be the best choice.
If you're not picking fights, your chances of learning how to fight by experiencing it is kind of limited.

Bonus answer...without knowing what you want out of martial arts and what is available to you in your immediate area, reccomendations of a particular martial art are useless.

There are a few Martial Arts Studios in my area. There's judo, jiu jitsu, and tae kwon do.

I want to learn Martial Arts for "combat purposes". Note that I didn't say "self-defense". I don't like that term, self-defense. If I wanted to learn self-defense, I'd learn how to use a gun. I want to learn combat. I want to be able to hold my own when challenged to a fight. It's like old-school dueling with a pistol, only without any deaths...

Basically, I want to be able to win in a "fight-clubesque" type of match. The kind of match that has no rules, like Brazil's Vale Tudo style...

Have you heard of Akuma from the Street Fighter series? I wanna be like him. His sole purpose in life is to seek out opponents who are worthy of him.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are a few Martial Arts Studios in my area. There's judo, jiu jitsu, and tae kwon do.

I want to learn Martial Arts for "combat purposes". Note that I didn't say "self-defense". I don't like that term, self-defense. If I wanted to learn self-defense, I'd learn how to use a gun. I want to learn combat. I want to be able to hold my own when challenged to a fight. It's like old-school dueling with a pistol, only without any deaths...

Basically, I want to be able to win in a "fight-clubesque" type of match. The kind of match that has no rules, like Brazil's Vale Tudo style...

Have you heard of Akuma from the Street Fighter series? I wanna be like him. His sole purpose in life is to seek out opponents who are worthy of him.
any of those will make you better at combat, if you want to be a dance floor killing machine do kick boxing, if you want to be wrestling th bouncers when they come to kick you out do jujitsu.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
any of those will make you better at combat, if you want to be a dance floor killing machine do kick boxing, if you want to be wrestling th bouncers when they come to kick you out do jujitsu.

Okay, thanks.

Though I don't wanna fight bouncers. lol. The closest thing to a true combat that I ever really wanna get into is a Vale Tudo match. Or perhaps MMA.

Kenposcholar

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've found that it's rarely about the martial art you choose but the instructor and student's time/quality spent training. If you pick one of those three schools mentioned that has an environment, teacher, and a class you enjoy, it'll be useful.
Regardless, any physical fitness and conditioning (e.g. desensitizing adrenaline, physical contact, etc.) will improve your combat ability.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The master and the student are more important than which art you choose. If you have a master who either doesn't know much or isn't a good teacher, you're not going to learn much. If you lack the discipline required to learn a martial art, you won't learn much either.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

Though I don't wanna fight bouncers. lol. The closest thing to a true combat that I ever really wanna get into is a Vale Tudo match. Or perhaps MMA.

It appears you have answered your own question :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

you said you wanted no rules combat Training, which puts you in the logical paradox, that the best ma for combat training is one that contains actual combat, but any combat art you take up will have rules, where you are not allowed to do the most effective combat techniques, people tend to object if you poke them in the eye or break an arm or two

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Vale Tudo has rules.
I trained for combat...I was in combat...I used a gun...in training one of the first things we trained with...a gun. Not self defense...Combat.
You want to fight fisted. You want to fight no rules but safely. Hahahaha.
Find a fighter coach who will train you to fight and train. Then go to a promoter and get a fight.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

Then you've answered your own question. Find a school/gym and start training! :)

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Then you've answered your own question. Find a school/gym and start training! :)

Does Vale Tudo exist in the USA?

There's an MMA gym that's only a few miles away from my home. Maybe I'll enroll.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does Vale Tudo exist in the USA?

There's an MMA gym that's only a few miles away from my home. Maybe I'll enroll.
please do, and then when someone two thirds of you weight knocks you over come back and tell us again how size tops skill

Anarax

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Hi. I have a question...

Thank you.

There are a few sides to this question. Is it better to receive good quality(regardless of style) training in a martial art than no training at all? Yes. Is it better to receive ANY training opposed to no training? No. There are those that receive poor training, but they think they are receiving good training. Those that have an inflated view of their own skills might be more inclined to place themselves in volatile situation that they wouldn't otherwise. It doesn't necessarily mean you're walking around looking for a fight, it means they have a high level of confidence that is disproportional to their abilities. It's a recipe for disaster and gets people hurt.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are a few sides to this question. Is it better to receive good quality(regardless of style) training in a martial art than no training at all? Yes. Is it better to receive ANY training opposed to no training? No. There are those that receive poor training, but they think they are receiving good training. Those that have an inflated view of their own skills might be more inclined to place themselves in volatile situation that they wouldn't otherwise. It doesn't necessarily mean you're walking around looking for a fight, it means they have a high level of confidence that is disproportional to their abilities. It's a recipe for disaster and gets people hurt.

Thank you for your answer.

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
please do, and then when someone two thirds of you weight knocks you over come back and tell us again how size tops skill

Size without strength is useless. When I say "size", I mean...

w2K1ndw.jpg

NOT...

https://thenypost.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/franco.jpg?quality=90&strip=all

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You already have all the knowledge you need, based on your other thread about the superiority of weight lifting..

If up to two or more people try to fight you, pick up one in each of your hands and start doing curls and squats with them. They will lose the will to fight, and if there are others with them, the only injuries they will sustain would be from falling over each other as they fled from you displayed superior strength. :eek: :D :D

OP
Zombocalypse

Zombocalypse

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You already have all the knowledge you need, based on your other thread about the superiority of weight lifting..

If up to two or more people try to fight you, pick up one in each of your hands and start doing curls and squats with them. They will lose the will to fight, and if there are others with them, the only injuries they will sustain would be from falling over each other as they fled from you displayed superior strength. :eek: :D :D

Finally. Someone with a sense of humor.

Latest Discussions