Korean cop judo (Yudo) throw

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great throw. Do they have to take that much abuse before reacting in Korea?

Not any of the three times I was there, without some very unusual circumstances, such as the opponent being a high status person. Even then I think they would have avoided the punches rather than allowing themselves to be hit.

@TSDTexan Are you sure that is a Korean National Policeman? I don't recall any I ever saw dressing like that. When I was on Okinawa, the required MA for CPs (Civilian Police) as I recall was at least a 1st degree in Judo. In Korea I think it was TKD for normal police. For some special police or military units it was a 3rd degree in TKD or Hapkido, with a preference for Hapkido.

In Korea, Judo was sort of disdained as gangsters would begin studying Judo and then not test to be belted. But they would continue studying to the equivalent of higher belting. "Judo school dropout" was a euphemism for a gangster; someone who studied to a high level in Judo, but never tested. English language newspapers used that term for gangsters when reporting on different factions fighting in a bar or elsewhere.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats quite a difference when you pick up an asphalt street and hit someone with it, as opposed to hitting them with two inches of foam padding. Kind of like the difference between hitting someone with a wooden boken and foam sword.

Ippon!

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Not any of the three times I was there, without some very unusual circumstances, such as the opponent being a high status person. Even then I think they would have avoided the punches rather than allowing themselves to be hit.

@TSDTexan Are you sure that is a Korean National Policeman? I don't recall any I ever saw dressing like that. When I was on Okinawa, the required MA for CPs (Civilian Police) as I recall was at least a 1st degree in Judo. In Korea I think it was TKD for normal police. For some special police or military units it was a 3rd degree in TKD or Hapkido, with a preference for Hapkido.

In Korea, Judo was sort of disdained as gangsters would begin studying Judo and then not test to be belted. But they would continue studying to the equivalent of higher belting. "Judo school dropout" was a euphemism for a gangster; someone who studied to a high level in Judo, but never tested. English language newspapers used that term for gangsters when reporting on different factions fighting in a bar or elsewhere.

Well, he is wearing a traffic direction officer uniform.
Which is a police function, in Korea. That may have changed.

Word is they (the police bureaus) prefer a chodan in yudo for the police. Hapkido comes in second.

TKD is obligatory in the ROK marines and army... and i think air force too. But not for police... at least the last time I spoke with some Korean nationals in the know.

Tukong Moosul was required for ROK Special Forces, until they switched over to Hapkido

Early TSD was full of gangsters too, and it was alleged that they (gangsters) were paying $$$ for their 1st dan, and running protection rackets.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, he is wearing a traffic direction officer uniform.
Which is a police function, in Korea. That may have changed.

Word is they (the police bureaus) prefer a chodan in yudo for the police. Hapkido comes in second.

TKD is obligatory in the ROK marines and army... and i think air force too. But not for police... at least the last time I spoke with some Korean nationals in the know.

Tukong Moosul was required for ROK Special Forces, until they switched over to Hapkido

Early TSD was full of gangsters too, and it was alleged that they (gangsters) were paying $$$ for their 1st dan, and running protection rackets.

Well, in truth I haven't been in Korea since 1987. But I still occasionally watch TV with my wife, that to say I don't know much about Korea except to say I no longer know much about Korea. But I seem to remember traffic direction officers are not considered actual law enforcement officers. It may indeed have changed. at my work or

I don't have a clue what police or military units prefer what martial art. Perhaps I can ask some of the Koreans where I work when I think of it and run across them.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What make you think it's a Judo throw and not a Shuai Chiao (Chinese wrestling) throw? It looks like a "head lock leg block" throw to me.

Because its its commonly a sacrifice throw (in judo), in which you take a top position, immediately-subsequently, during the last part of the throw.

Also, the follow up, after they are on the ground is also a judo technique, Kesa Gatame.

Having watched it a few times at 5x reduced speed. It, absolutely, screams judo. He switchs lead foot to develop his rotational force as he finishes getting his overhook.

Last edited:
OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

A guy on reddit says this happened, about four years ago. He says the officer is an older fellow. And he says the perpetrator, tried to sue the old man, for throwing and injuring him.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Judging by this fight... they seem to be slow in escalating use of force vs two drunk and disorderly streetfighters.