The Last Person Thread - 3.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Couldn't sleep.... up till after 0200, awake again by 0500.
Oh well. I'll spend extra time working out today and wear myself out. Maybe sleep better tonight.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
not for nothing - as I'm sure you're just being funny (and I enjoy your humor:) ) - but isn't the President only able to serve 2 terms??:)
Thank you..I'm here every Thursday. :)
To answer your question, yes, I was only being humorous, but in reality, under certain circumstances, a president can (and has) in fact serve more than 2 terms.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you..I'm here every Thursday. :)
To answer your question, yes, I was only being humorous, but in reality, under certain circumstances, a president can (and has) in fact serve more than 2 terms.

What circumstances? I'm pretty sure there's a constitutional amendment that says "no way" to this idea.

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What circumstances? I'm pretty sure there's a constitutional amendment that says "no way" to this idea.
For the most part, you're correct. FDR is the only one to do it successfully, but several presidents throughout history made the attempt.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, but that was all before the passage of the 22nd Amendment. Two term limit. No more. Don't bother asking.

We could use something similar for other political offices.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, but that was all before the passage of the 22nd Amendment. Two term limit. No more. Don't bother asking.

We could use something similar for other political offices.
Yup all those that tried to serve more than two terms basically did not get re-elected and the one who did serve more than two terms was FDR because he did get re-elected... and then the president had WAY to much power, scared congress, the senate and everyone else in Washington and threatened their powerbase so the 22nd Amendment was born.

Harry S. Truman could have legally gotten what could have been considered a 3rd term, after the 22nd Amendment, because he had severed more than 3 years of FDR's 4th term and only one full term of his own, he chose not to seek re-election for a 2nd term

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Took a couple of the grandkids to see Wreck-it Ralph. Pretty funny stuff, Commander Poopypants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions