Testing fees - are belts included?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When your students test, is there a fee? Does it vary by rank? If you don't mind, how much is it? Is the cost of the belt/stripe included, or do students buy their own? Is there a difference in cost between gup and dan ranks?

I'll start:

I teach at a YMCA, and having nothing to do with how the dues are charged; about half of my students are on YMCA scholarships.

Test fees are in addition to class dues, (gup tests $25 per test; dan tests vary based on rank, and include the cost to bring the testing instructor out - we don't test our own students, other instructors do that - although we ask the testing instructor to hold seminars to help offset the cost, especially traveling expenses).

The belt/stripe is included in the testing fee.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We charge for guep ranks like you and we include the belt and award a certificate and belt at the same time.

Our Dan fee's are higher and it depends if you would like a Kukkiwon or a AAU or just a house certificate. The most it does cost is the AAU and I do not make much after bringing in people and paying there high fee's.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
At my school the tuition is only $60.00/mo. so I do charge $15.00 for testing at all color belt levels, to offset the cost of new belts and certificates. The 1st and 2nd dan is $150.00, 3rd is $200.00, which includes the black collar uniform and an embroidered belt.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I'm not a TKD practitioner, but we don't charge testing fees for any rank, and there is no charge for the belts.

Tuition is $50/month, though I think we are going to raise that sometime soon.

Lamont

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
We have a yearly membership cost of around fifty and a monthly cost of fifty too. In addition, each grading cost forty dollars and the belt is not included However my instructor likes to buy belts for her students (I'm the only one left of her old classes now), She says since its only eight dollas she doesn't mind.

CF'er

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I pay $60 ish per belt test (although there is generally a discount if you pay by a certain date and also for more than one family member.) We do get the belts and certificates with that. This is for color belts. I know BB tests are higher.

We don't test for stripes and we don't pay for those either.

stoneheart

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I charge $5 a class or $25 a month. Gup belt tests are $15 and they include a belt and a certificate. Obviously, I'm making no money on this deal, but I am rewarded in other ways.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know about the black belt tests, but tuition is $16 a month ($2 bucks a class) and tests are $15 dollars, and your belt is included. To be specific though, every other test is a "high" whatever color, so all you get there is a pice of tape :) For example, a blue belt (4th kup) you get, but high blue (3rd kup) adds two red stripes (electrical tape) to the end of your belt. You get a new colored belt for the even numbered kup ranks, and tape for the odd ones, except for 1st kup, which is a new belt half black and half red. (2nd kup is all red) You wear that one red side high until the instructor gives you a date for your black belt test, and then you turn it over to be black side high. It's a big deal, and basically signifies you've been taught everything up to BB, and you are now working on perfecting it for your tests.
Probably too much information! :lol:

jim

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't train TKD but sashes are included in our testing fee.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At this point, the testing fees are the same for all colored belt ranks & the belts are always included in the cost of testing.

Min

White Belt
Reaction score
At my school, we charge students based on what rank they are going to. The cost we use is mainly to cover boards, the belts, shipping fees and what not. The prices increase as you gain gups and dans.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Testing fees are $10 per test. Including tests from yellow to first degree brown. The $10 includes certificate, & belt. First black and above are done at the instructors request when he thinks you're ready. Rank of 1st black and above have no testing fees.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know with MSK that there are fees with the belt test, but you get the belt along with. It is all inclusive if you pass. It does change in pricing. It is 40 for the gup ranks and 120 for the dan rank test. However, the reason for the 120 is that you get the embroidered belt no problem and those are pricey. Of course certificate is included as well.

Bret Hinds

Green Belt
Reaction score
We give belts to all new colored belts and we do stipes of tape for gup grades between. Our test fees are 40.00 and dan ranking is up to our grandmaster. Our dues are 45.00 per month and little dragons and tigers are less. We give a break to family two or more, If the in between rank want a belt they can buy one from us at cost, around 5.00. All the best in the arts

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
We're not a TKD school but we don't charge for testing. There is a small fee for the new belt if the student passes.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I charge $20 for guep test and the cost of the belt is included. I don't give out guep certificates.

Black belt tests start at $150 which includes Kukkiwon certificate, embroidered belt, and new black-vneck uniform. I don't have a school black belt certificate.

Miles

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do charge a testing fee ($55 each for the first two members of a family, $15 each for third and subsequent). Belts are included in the fee, as well as a video tape or DVD of the next rank's material so they can practice at home.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
o When your students test, is there a fee? Yes
o Does it vary by rank? Yes.
o If you don't mind, how much is it? The fee increases the higher you, advance.
o Is the cost of the belt/stripe included, or do students buy their own? The belt's included along with a certificate of rank.
o Is there a difference in cost between gup and dan ranks? Sure, our dan ranks are registered through the Kukkiwon bureaucracy so they get their cut.

Latest Discussions