6yr old 2nd degree BB?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK, not to sound like an ATA basher, but a 6 year old that started TKD at 3 and in just 3 years now is already a 2nd degree black belt? Come on!!!

http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/1518167/

Cary Girl, 6, Headed to Tae Kwon Do World Championship

1518193-1182379854-220x165.jpg

Posted: Today at 6:53 p.m.
Updated: 51 minutes ago
Apex — A Cary girl is headed to Arkansas to compete in the Tae Kwon Do World Championship.

At just 6-years-old, Marzia Josephson is already a second-degree black belt – the same level as her 32-year-old father, David Josephson.

“It is great, a lot of fun, especially to have something like that you can do with your kids anywhere,” Josephson said.

Marzia began taking Tae Kwon Do one week after her third birthday. Since then, she has been racking up belts and trophies. Black is the highest belt in tae kwon do, and there are several degrees of that rank.

She left Wednesday for Little Rock, Ark., and the Songahm World Championship, which features about 10,000 competitors. She will compete Thursday in the 7-and-under division.

“I’m a little nervous, and I’m looking forward to it,” Marzia said.

Instructor Alex Changho said Marzia is the youngest black belt he has at the Vision Martial Arts school where they train.

“She is so intense. But at the same time, you see her and she’s your regular little girl,” Changho said.

Once the world championship is over, Marzia can focus on her next dream: becoming a karate instructor when she grows up.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is just the sort of thing that TKD does not need.

In another thread people were talking about the length of time between belts, and most seemed to agree that three years was an absolute minimum to achieve a BB, with at least another two to reach 2nd.

But here is a child of six who has trained for three years and has a second degree? Such a child is nowhere near the completition of phsyical development and so has significant coordination problems, they're still learning how to make the body do what its told.

Of course, there is likely to be a significant element of media spin involved. But still. TKD struggles constantly against the perception it is a belt factory, where any rank is attainable if you have enough money. Six year old Second Degree Black Belts do not help this situation. What does this say about Vision Martial Arts?

Now according to the reporter Marzia wants to be a Karate instructor. Good thing she's such a good student because she'll have to learn a whole new art to achieve her goal. It was right there in front of him and he still got it wrong.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oy. I'm sure she's a bright, adorable coordinated child. But a second degree black belt? Not unless TKD has degenerated past the point of no return.

Emptyhand

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance as TKD is not my art but is there anything along the lines of "youth black belts?" Does that only refer to age of black belts or is there a different belting system for juveniles....for any martial art for that matter.

As you can tell I am a noob to the martial arts but I thought I had heard something along those lines at one time.

Thank you for the education.

TKDmel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Please excuse my ignorance as TKD is not my art but is there anything along the lines of "youth black belts?" Does that only refer to age of black belts or is there a different belting system for juveniles....for any martial art for that matter.

As you can tell I am a noob to the martial arts but I thought I had heard something along those lines at one time.

Thank you for the education.

There are technically no BBs under the age of 16, I believe, according to the kukkiwon. Those that are under that age are considered poom belts(jr. BBs) and get a poom certificate. Many instructors give out a black belt instead of the poom belts(1/2 black and 1/2 red). After the age of 16, on their next test they are awarded a dan certificate. I feel too many instructors are giving the kids the wrong idea about what they are or have achieved. JMHO

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She might be good and she just might do all kinds of things other 6yr. olds can't. However, she should have a jr. ranking black belt and treated as such.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to make sure:

We're all in agreement that the little gal deserves nothing but applause and respect, right? Her instructor is making a huge mistake if it's all as it appears. He should be quietly dressed down, but anybody who knocks the student over a belt color needs to be noisily strung up.

I'm still scratching my head over 3 years to 2nd Dan. So many things wrong with the sensei's decisions....

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just to make sure:

We're all in agreement that the little gal deserves nothing but applause and respect, right? Her instructor is making a huge mistake if it's all as it appears. He should be quietly dressed down, but anybody who knocks the student over a belt color needs to be noisily strung up.

I'm still scratching my head over 3 years to 2nd Dan. So many things wrong with the sensei's decisions....
At some point in her life a rude awakening awaits...
Sean

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? Honestly any moreso than any other tournament-oriented black belt the first time he meets a streetfighter?

I'd be willing to bet she needs and deserves better training, but none of it's because she started at age 3 and got promoted too fast.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just to make sure:

You could never have a go at the girl. She's doing what she's told and enjoying it immensely.

Her instructor is digging a big hole for her, however, which she is going to have to get herself out of at some stage in the future.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are technically no BBs under the age of 16, I believe, according to the kukkiwon. Those that are under that age are considered poom belts(jr. BBs) and get a poom certificate. Many instructors give out a black belt instead of the poom belts(1/2 black and 1/2 red). After the age of 16, on their next test they are awarded a dan certificate. I feel too many instructors are giving the kids the wrong idea about what they are or have achieved. JMHO

TKDmel it is not age 16 but 14 the Poom rank can be changed to Dam rank though the Kukkiwon all a person need to do is send in the right paperwork and the fee and it is all taken care of.

On the subject matter no way a second at that age, even my boy did not get his 1st until he was 8 and he was training at the age of two, they just cannot really understand the material at all.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wonder what her advice to others would be on self defense situations.
Sean
Well if she can speak well enough past her soft palate lisp (which along with the rest of her body is still forming) she might have some good ideas... theoretically speaking of course.

IMO even at six she's too young even for a Junior BB, a Kenpo school I know of has a thing for the really young 4-8 yr. olds called "little dragons" but still.
Something tells me that Daddy promoted her and daddy wants to build up his school.
It's sad because it will not reflect well to the serious TKD-er.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a problem with this child having this rank as well - in addition to the reasons already given, black belts should be able to teach - and I find it unlikely, at her age, that even if she is sufficiently precocious to really be able to perform all she should at that rank, that she is able to teach others in a meaningful fashion.

Latest Discussions