Private instructions

rickk

White Belt
Reaction score
Since I travel on business I seem to be missing many classes. I think I could make up the difference with private instruction/training. Whenever I approach someone with this question they back me off and just say make as many classes as you can. Makes sense, but I'm traveling. Since one of the instructors from my TKD school has left is it bad form to ask where did he go in the hopes of tracking him down for private lessons? Or should I just advertise that I'm lookiing for private instruction in some other way?

Thanks for your help.

Ninjamom

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Rickk! I sincerely hope you enjoy the neighborhood!

I think maybe the fact that you asked the questions shows that, in the back of your mind, you are concerned that it might be bad form. If you like your current school, why not ask the BB Instructors who are still there if one of them would be interested in giving you private lessons?

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If you've asked people at your school about private lessons and they say make as many classes as you can, I would guess that that means either a) they don't want to teach them, or b) they aren't offered for some reason.

If this BB you're referring to left the school, I would suggest finding out why he left before approaching him about private lessons; if he left because of a disagreement or other emotionally-charged reason, he may not be the best choice, even if he's agreeable to the idea. And again, the school may not offer private lessons for some reason, and that's the case, it may not be a good idea.

Have you considered, instead of private lessons, finding someone around your own rank to practice with? Or starting a practice group with several other students? That might serve the same purpose, and would benefit others as well.

Latest Discussions