Tenents of Taekwondo

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Courtesy (Ye Lu)- To be polite to one another and show respect
2. Integrity (Yom Chi)- Honesty- knowing right from wrong and doing right
3. Perseverance (In Nae)- Never give up
4. Self-control (Guk Gi)- To control your emotions, physical abilities and actions
5. Indomitable spirit (Baekjul Boolgool)- Unable to be tamed or conquered

As has been noted by moderator and member alike, there have been some rather heated discussions here in the TKD section as well as around the board. Perhaps that is just the nature of things in this type of venue, but it doesn't necessarrily need to be that way. I would like to think that all of us are passionate about a like-minded pursuit i.e. the martial arts. I would also like to thing that we can all get along and even in disagreement we can be respectful and separate the individual from the issue. And even in disagreement we can build up and edify one another. I think we are all capable of doing that with a little effort. Perhaps this can be the section of the board that is the most polite, even when we disagree. Is this not the first, and perhaps the most important of the five tenents?

Often times we post, thinking it is a pretty good post (and sometimes a 'gotcha' post) but the proper tone doesn't quite come across as intended. Sometimes we hit the 'submit' a minute before we should perhaps with a knee-jerk response. Perhaps we don't try as hard to edify as we do to tear down. Perhaps we can be better than that? Particularly with so many instructors on the board that should take the position of leading by example.

With this in mind, perhaps those that agree can chime in with a demonstration of their commitment to 'be polite to one another and show respect'. I will make this committment. And I will go one step further, if I've pissed someone off then let's discuss it calmly with mutual respect and an eye towards resolution. Post here, sent me a pm or email me. I'm accessible and available. Better to seek a friend than make an enemy.

Who else can get on board with this proposal?

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm on board if you're willing to meet me in the middle and call them tenets. "Tenents" (sp. tenants) are renters, and I'm hoping these principles are not temporary occupants of our art.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm on board if you're willing to meet me in the middle and call them tenets. "Tenents" (sp. tenants) are renters, and I'm hoping these principles are not temporary occupants of our art.

Whoops :eek:

Thanks for catching that!

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the problem is, if everyone doesnt play by the rules, the rest get abused by the ones that dont

IE: if you are not KKW, you are not real TKD, if you were a higher Dan, you would see it my way

hard to be polite to people that are talking down to you.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
You're suggesting people that regularly insult Gen. Choi, belittle the ITF, etc. follow the tenets that Gen. Choi came up with.

Pax,

Chris

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am simply suggesting that we can all seek the high road and that this path be available to all. In the not very distant past I was very alpha male and in your face about stuff. I probably wasn't as kind as I could have been, even in disagreement. In short, I didn't always practice what I preach. And then from time to time something happens in life to give you a reality check as to what is really important. For me it is a disabled spouse going through a very tough time and a personal stint in ICU. Sort of puts things in perspective.

I can't force someone to shake my hand, but that doesn't stop me from putting my hand out and hoping.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're suggesting people that regularly insult Gen. Choi, belittle the ITF, etc. follow the tenets that Gen. Choi came up with.

Pax,

Chris

While the General can be credited for adopting these concepts for Taekwon-Do, I don't think it can be said that he "came up with" them. The concepts have been around far longer than that, and they're every bit as much a code of conduct for civilized society in general as they are for Taekwondin.

I'll freely admit that I don't always live up to them. But I do try.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Pax,

Chris
Its true you don't see these tenets in the KKW handbook or any KKW publications, but in an official book from the WTF you will find 5 paragraphs each with a heading similar to those tenets. Sympathy, Rightiousness, Courtesy, Wisdom, and Sincerity , these are being used not only as mental objectives but also physical as it pertains to training. By the way if you are throwing these tenets in others faces you are probably breaking 1,2, and 4.

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
While the General can be credited for adopting these concepts for Taekwon-Do, I don't think it can be said that he "came up with" them. The concepts have been around far longer than that, and they're every bit as much a code of conduct for civilized society in general as they are for Taekwondin.

Gen. Choi certainly systematized those concepts in the form that Kong Soo Do posted. But, even so, the question of who is the ultimate source of them wasn't the point of my post. That list, as it was posted, is indisolubly linked to Gen. Choi and the ITF.

Pax,

Chris

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OH for Christ's sake! One person - ONE - on this thread is reaching out asking that we all stand up and rise above petty differences to behave as better martial artists on this forum and what did he get? More of the nitpicky crap!

Kong Soo Do, I guess you got your answer.

leadleg

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Its true you don't see these tenets in the KKW handbook or any KKW publications, but in an official book from the WTF you will find 5 paragraphs each with a heading similar to those tenets. Sympathy, Rightiousness, Courtesy, Wisdom, and Sincerity , these are being used not only as mental objectives but also physical as it pertains to training. By the way if you are throwing these tenets in others faces you are probably breaking 1,2, and 4.
Sorry Chris et.al. I only meant it does not matter whether you be ITF or WTF we both have these philosphies that our leaders want to be included in our arts. Alluding that someone cannot be virtuous because they don't like your art or that its too hard is not following either.
I quit posting and reading many of these threads because of the attacks being made. Kong Soo Do I aplaud your effort.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
chrispillertkd;[URL="tel:1461519" said:
1461519[/URL]]Gen. Choi certainly systematized those concepts in the form that Kong Soo Do posted. But, even so, the question of who is the ultimate source of them wasn't the point of my post. That list, as it was posted, is indisolubly linked to Gen. Choi and the ITF.

Pax,

Chris

:barf::barf::barf:

shesulsa;[URL="tel:1461526" said:
1461526[/URL]]OH for Christ's sake! One person - ONE - on this thread is reaching out asking that we all stand up and rise above petty differences to behave as better martial artists on this forum and what did he get? More of the nitpicky crap!

Kong Soo Do, I guess you got your answer.

:asian:

Some of you guys really remind me of the old ladies over on JudoForum.....:lfao:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Gen. Choi certainly systematized those concepts in the form that Kong Soo Do posted. But, even so, the question of who is the ultimate source of them wasn't the point of my post. That list, as it was posted, is indisolubly linked to Gen. Choi and the ITF.

Pax,

Chris

And yet, they're on the wall of our Moo Duk Kwan/Kukkiwon school. A school with only a few people who know anything at all about the General.
The point I intended to make (and obviously failed) is that these are not tenets specific to any person, system, style, culture, country, or religion. They're ideas that are near-universal, and something we all ought to be able to endorse, and at least try to follow.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Pax,

Chris

Mr. Spiller,

It probably would have been wiser to let a KKW or other non affiliated person point this out.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Interesting how a handful of rules on how to conduct oneself with dignity causes such a stir.....

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Interesting how a handful of rules on how to conduct oneself with dignity causes such a stir.....

Maybe it's because so many seem concerned with what others say or think--something they can't control anyway. I think it's part of both courtesy and self-control not to "go there" if you believe others speak or act without them. You can't change someone else's mind, even if you are right; you can only share information. I just practice the AA philosophy of 'take what you like, and leave the rest'.

Carl

Last edited:

Latest Discussions