Tatoos, long hair, mowhawks, & peircings galore

OP
K

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Soem people have been implementing that I have those problems. I do not, rather I was just interested in what others had to say about the topic. By the way what are softcontact glasses and where can I get them?

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
KenpoSterre said:
Soem people have been implementing that I have those problems.
"I do not think that word means what you think it means." :p
Implying, maybe?

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tats are fine in my school but like everyone else if offensive they must be covered... Recently I brought in a Japanese swordsman for a seminar and the entire time he had his arms covered with what i considered giant wrist sweat bands that went up his entire arm. Not being a swordsman myself i thought possibly it was to prevent sweat from getting into his grip, but he was actually just being polite so no one could see his tatoos. As for the hair if its long it must be pulled back.. If you are an assistant in my school and i do not like your haircut you either can cut it or wear a bandana. These assistants are role models to the younger ones and need to present themselves in that manner. Piercings that cannot be taken out must be taped down.
In Peace
Jesse

OP
K

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
but wouldn't it hurt to take off the tape. It might rip the earring otu too.

Also

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenpoSterre

"I do not think that word means what you think it means." :p
Implying, maybe?

doesnt it mean hinting or something? if what I said was provacitive, vurgualr, obscene...then I am sorry.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
I love training with people with long hair. Gives you something else to grab and control them by.
Jeff

Same goes for piercing galore.

Now in a class but back in my security days you would be amazed how fast a guy causing trouble calms down and goes where you want him when you grab the earring.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hair = if you can defend it war it if not learn to defnd it or get it cut
Thats my feel on hair and i don't cae what color or style it is

tatoos - no poblem unless they realy offend me If they do they most likely wil lupset others so those get covered

pircings - I prefer they are takn out during class again if you wear them I will use them as a target an against you in I can

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
JeffJ said:
I love training with people with long hair. Gives you something else to grab and control them by
Jeff

Wahhhhh...I wanted to say that..

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KenpoSterre

KenpoSterre said:
doesnt it mean hinting or something? if what I said was provacitive, vurgualr, obscene...then I am sorry.

No, not obscene at all. We here on MartialTalk all love to help each other.

Implementing means:

tr.v. im·ple·ment·ed, im·ple·ment·ing, im·ple·ments (-m
ebreve.gif
nt
lprime.gif
)
  1. To put into practical effect; carry out: implement the new procedures.
  2. To supply with implements.
Implying means:

tr.v. im·plied, im·ply·ing, im·plies
  1. To involve by logical necessity; entail: Life implies growth and death.
  2. To express or indicate indirectly: His tone implied disapproval. See Synonyms at suggest. See Usage Note at infer.
  3. Obsolete. To entangle.
The word, as Kreth says, that you want is "implying".

Now let's return back to our regular thread....

- Ceicei

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Same goes for piercing galore

Do they think that if it really hits the fan we won't grab that pierced eyebrow

Xue Sheng said:
Now in a class but back in my security days you would be amazed how fast a guy causing trouble calms down and goes where you want him when you grab the earring

Yep that was a trick we used often during my bouncer days

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Young or teenaged boys are usually teased incessantly until their hair is cut into an "appropriate" cut. Anyone at about 20 or above is teased from time to time but generally is left alone about it. General tattoos are fine for students, but most instructors, or students who are known to be striving for instructorship (myself, for instance) have it made clear to them that tattoos are generally discouraged. (What had been originally planned as a full calf tattoo has been changed to be a small karate guy on my ankle. Still, a small price to pay).

Piercings are acceptable but MUST be taken out for sparring.

Apparently there was one student in the 70's who had obviously done a tattoo on himself - a swastika on his forhead. The instructor basically pounded on the guy for three weeks in private lessons before he quit.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Long hair? Check.
Long enough that at one point I got choked out with my ponytail, and yes, it was used as a "handle" during our tougher sparring sessions.
It is gone now, but more for convenience than for martial arts.

Piercings. Check.
Though I eventually let them go away, constantly putting them in and taking them out for class was a PITA.

Tattoos. Check.
Though none are highly visible in a gi.

I don't think an instructor has responsibility to judge a students fashion sense. I don't care if a student looks like an extra from the Road Warrior when they are outside of class, that is their business, not mine.

Lamont

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
I don't think an instructor has responsibility to judge a students fashion sense. I don't care if a student looks like an extra from the Road Warrior when they are outside of class, that is their business, not mine.

Lamont

Gotta agree with you there.

Jeff

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
Young or teenaged boys are usually teased incessantly until their hair is cut into an "appropriate" cut.

Thats good, tease a person who is probably coming to class because he is getting teased at school and or bullied and he needs a place for safety and to start building confidence. Who deems "appropriat?" If the person is my assistant then thats something different but if they are a student then that is there thing.

_Qoute from Sam---Anyone at about 20 or above is teased from time to time but generally is left alone about it. General tattoos are fine for students, but most instructors, or students who are known to be striving for instructorship (myself, for instance) have it made clear to them that tattoos are generally discouraged. (What had been originally planned as a full calf tattoo has been changed to be a small karate guy on my ankle. Still, a small price to pay).--

Wouldnt the Gi cover up the Calf? but it would show on the ankle during kicking.. Plus IMHO I tell all my students to wait until they are out of college if they want to get a tattoo because the idea will def. change. I first wanted my Tat. on my calf also an 8X5" tattoo of a dragon and tiger. Well i waited and glad i did, I do have one now but unless the shirt is off no one sees it.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
ok, i thought i had it.. how are you qouting people and getting that to highlight in a different shade? I qouted Sam and thought i did it right, now it looks like my last message is all nonsense in a way.
Jesse

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't think it's the place of any martial arts school or instructor to tell me what I can do with my own body.

If they don't like the way I look, they can either deal or not get my money.

I can understand removing piercings as that can be dangerous. But forbidding me to get pierced? Sorry, I'm a customer, not a disciple.

Tattoos? As long as they are tasteful, I see no problem. If they are questionable (scary deamons and big ol boobies), well, sports wrap can cover them nicely.

As to my hair, the way I wear my hair has been my choice since I left home. Grow it til it hits my toes or shave it all off, always my choice, never again a teacher, family member or employer's. (I told 1 employer that for me to cut my then elbow length hair would cost them an extra $10,000/yr, paid up front. I kept my hair, and got a pay rise 6 mo later anyway.)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RevIV said:
ok, i thought i had it.. how are you qouting people and getting that to highlight in a different shade? I qouted Sam and thought i did it right, now it looks like my last message is all nonsense in a way.
Jesse
[ quote] sometextgoeshere [ /quote]

just remove the spaces. Or highlight and use the quote button. :) (advanced editor, not quick reply box)

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
The teasing is in good nature.

I think your instructors can restrict you more when you are training to join them - no one's told me I CANT - just told me in jest that I can't - and please please please don't do it. But I respect my instructors so to me, it's the same.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm with Bob on this. Tattoos should be a non-issue. As for an offensive tattoo, well I'd treat that no differently than a t-shirt with hate speech on it. Unless we're talking about a Boris Vallejo-style bare-breasted maiden, which I don't find offensive in the least. :p It's a moot point anyway, as I really doubt anyone willing to decorate their body with that type of imagery (ex. a swastika) would last long as my student.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
A wise teacher (my wife) has a qoute that to much sarcasm or teasing creates a victim..... and i dont see how the teasing is in good nature when you are trying to make the person change themselves.
In Peace
Jesse

Latest Discussions