What age should I start my daughter?

Kanoy919

Green Belt
Reaction score
My daughter is currently 3 1/2 years old, so I have some time. I'm currious to know from anybody with experience as to what age is most appropriate for a child to start taking lessons?

My first thought is around 5 years old. Maybe it's not the age I need to be concerned with, but rather her physical/mental state.

I currently play with her for a few minutes a day letting her punch and kick a bag a couple of times. This is more for her to get use to doing something (even if its 1 or 2 minutes) on a regular basis. She also likes to practice some of the falling down techniques. To her it's more of a game she gets to play with daddy.

Ok, so at what age for lessons?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i'd say 5-7. however you should not expect much from her until she's 6+ in terms of her physical strenght and martial arts skills. at that age she is still learning control over her entire body.
remember arts have an advantage of disciplining children so it's always good to start them early :)

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you need to change your question from "when should she start" to "when would she start and stay in it." My personal opinion would be the best starting age would be anywhere from 8-12, depending on the individual kid.
Try to find the statistics of kids that start at 5 years old and are still in it by the time they are 8. I would guess that would be around a 98% (or higher) dropout rate.
When I ran my school years back, I would not even take a student until they were ten. That helped me out by increasing the kids' maturity and longevity for training and helped me since I did not have any assistants.

Seriously though, try to find out the number of five or six year olds that stick with it for a year or two and never come back.

AoG

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not an instructor, but I'd probably agree with Armor. However, some basic principles, like what you are doing now, might be useful (a punch or two, kick, rolling maybe). As far as being in a structured class, I'd think wait until ~ 10ish...

I wish my parents had tried something like that rather than gymnastics. Those leotards just did not seem right ;-)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really depends on what Art as well as the Teacher you chose to teach her. Alot of Arts you can start at 3 while others need to be older so they can completely understand application. What ever you decide finding the right teacher is important for anybody let alone a child.
Terry

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Whatever age at which she says she wants to do it. Don't force it or the child will turn away. It's a matter of choice, her choice. As far as what age is best for her to learn. The earlier the better. Children are like sponges and they learn what they like.

Salute

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We like to start them at a minimum age of 5 years old. There are just some things that simply don't fall into place, until the child has had sufficient time in this world to develop. Coordination is but one aspect.

Otherwise, if it's too early (and it may even be too early for some 5 year olds), they might get frustrated at being unable to properly coordinate, and perform the techniques correctly, even if they understand how to do it.

Now, this isn't to say that we won't take 4 year old kids; in fact, if a particular 4 year old is closer to 5 years of age, and if that 4 year old demonstrates physical maturity and mental development on par with the "average" 5 year old, then we can make exceptions.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'd say it depends entirely on the class. Some classes are not suitable for 5 year olds, some are. And very often the age they say they let kids start does not match the age that a child should start there.

Then, it depends entirely on the child, different children have different interests. Some like swimming, some like soccer, others baseball, etc. Martial arts are no different. Is the class something she wants to do? Does she have fun? Does she want to go there every week? Or does she do it because "She is supposed to"?

Are the classes high energy and fun? Do they get to play the game or just stand in line and drill? A class where it is mostly calisthetics and then technique lines is usually not the best for a young child. One where they get to spar / wrestle / etc will usually be more "fun" and more fun means more progress.

Note the usually though, sometimes technique lines and military like discipline are exactly what someone is looking for, or even how the child best learns.

In short, "It depends"

OP
Kanoy919

Kanoy919

Green Belt
Reaction score
Great responses. I understand the final decision is hers, but I'm hoping to increase the chances of her deciding in my favor.

I like all of your feedback. It's given me a few things to think about and take into consideration. Some things I guess I kind of new, but didn't even think about until reading your responses.

Thanks Again!

Cheers

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kanoy919 said:
Great responses. I understand the final decision is hers, but I'm hoping to increase the chances of her deciding in my favor.

I like all of your feedback. It's given me a few things to think about and take into consideration. Some things I guess I kind of new, but didn't even think about until reading your responses.

Thanks Again!

Cheers

Great question mate, I'm expecting my first baby in the next few months. Also trying to interest my partners girl into it, though she seems to like it. Either way, I think it's a great question to be posed.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
start by letting her watch classes as she gets older an starts to immitate what is done in class then it may be time to have her start if she wants to

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kanoy919 said:

Thanks Again!

Cheers

I must say I find it "cool" that you want her to share in your passion. Here's what worked for me in getting my son to "decide in my favor". I took my son to all of my classes with me and let him watch me teach. He's watched me teach adults and children. He's watched me compete. I also took him to the LTKKA 2006 World Kenpo Championships. In watching over a period of time he learned alot on his own. I just happened to notice him in the house in front of a mirror doing the "Star Block" and "Short Form" (American Kenpo's first Kata's) on his own one day. I asked him to show me and he had them right (he was 4 at the time). He also showed me Delayed Sword, Alternating Maces, Sword of Destruction, and Deflecting Hammer (American Kenpo's 1st 4 techniques). After he saw the kids learning and competing at the 2006 LTKKA event he asked me to buy him a gi and teach him too. He's already learned nearly half of the yellow belt requirements on his own and he's now only 5. You want her to decide in your favor, expose her to it (preferrably when you're doing it and/or when other kids are doing it). Kids often have a "me too" mentality.

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My son is currently 4 1/2 years old, and we have been in our system for about 4 months or so. He is always so excited about going to class. He thinks the exercises are funny, that hitting pads is cool but hitting people is no fun at all, that blocking is a waste of energy, and that with enough training his force powers will kick in. Most of all though, he likes playing with his friends before and after class. I don't know how long he will stay in MA, or how much of his early training he will actually retain, but I do know that he loves going to class. That's enough for me for now.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just a thought, but some good schools have a program that does little more than intruduce young children to the principles of the martial art in a fun, structured setting. My friends school has a "Little Ninjas" class for ages 5-8. those kids have so much fun they don't even realize their learning proper stances, discipline, punches, kicks etc. cause all of it taught in a game setting rather than traditional MA. 7 out 10 (his words - no stats to back it up) join his regular classes at age 9.

You can do the same thing at home as a "Daddy / daughter / son" activity for 20 minutes twice a week.

Some activities I've developed for young children:

Jumping over a moving stick about 6 inches off the ground and landing on cardboard / paper cut out "footprints" that force the child to land in a horse / cat / forward / L stance etc. - One note, tape them to the floor - they can be slippery hazards otherwise.

Doing punching drills without the kiyaa, but rather a nursury ryhme or to the cadance of a song. etc.

Kicking is never a problem. They LOVE to kick a pad ;)

rolls are good to, but you need to get their imagination going - give them silly reasons to roll and alow them to act it out. My favorite is - you have to roll in a straight line because there are big piles of icky, stinky mud on both sides of you. If you don't roll straight you have to run around going "ewww stinky stinky" for ten seconds! I don't know why, but they all seem to love this exercise.:)

I try to develop discipline by pretending to be a drill sargent in the beginning and trying to get them to laugh at me while standing at attention. If the game is "Don't laugh" they will try really hard to be perfect. This is actually alot of fun for me too.

Use your imagination and come up with a game that will train whatever skill you want to teach.

One thing - you need to do it to - let them play teacher and you student every once in a while.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kanoy919 said:
My daughter is currently 3 1/2 years old, so I have some time. I'm currious to know from anybody with experience as to what age is most appropriate for a child to start taking lessons?

My first thought is around 5 years old. Maybe it's not the age I need to be concerned with, but rather her physical/mental state.

I currently play with her for a few minutes a day letting her punch and kick a bag a couple of times. This is more for her to get use to doing something (even if its 1 or 2 minutes) on a regular basis. She also likes to practice some of the falling down techniques. To her it's more of a game she gets to play with daddy.

You've already answered your own question - her physical/mental state is the key. You could find a wonderful class, everything you could hope for, but if she's not ready, she won't succeed. I would suggest waiting until she demonstrates some interest - take her to watch you work out, let her know that this is a part of your life - but don't push her, because she probably won't stay in, even if she starts, if you do.

OP
Kanoy919

Kanoy919

Green Belt
Reaction score
Just when I thought I read it all, I read even more good posts!

I'm sure everybody's feedback and guidence will be enjoyed by many viewers, but for me, I'm really greatful for the time all of you put into sharing your knowlege.

Thank You!
Salamat Talaga!

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
the agrresive nature of wing chun makes me think about 12 would be best. assuming you want her to do wing chun. i saw that is what you do, so i geussed.

OP
Kanoy919

Kanoy919

Green Belt
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:
the agrresive nature of wing chun makes me think about 12 would be best. assuming you want her to do wing chun. i saw that is what you do, so i geussed.

Actually, I have already been told that most instructers do not teach Wing Chun until a person is somewhere between 12-15, so you're on target with what I've been told.

Currently, I'm thinking of Kenpo, but have not decided yet.

Thanks for your response though!

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kanoy919 said:

Depends.

I'd say what you are doing would be enough until she is ten or so. Obviously increase the intensity and learning curve as she ages, but I can't see that she would benefit from third party instruction until she is a good deal older.

Latest Discussions