Tatoos, long hair, mowhawks, & peircings galore

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RevIV said:
A wise teacher (my wife) has a qoute that to much sarcasm or teasing creates a victim..... and i dont see how the teasing is in good nature when you are trying to make the person change themselves.
In Peace
Jesse

I agree with you Jesse.

Not in to tattoos, weird hair, or piercings myself but I'd be downright furious if I plunked down cash for a school and discovered the instructors either participated in (or otherswise condoned) poking fun of another student, even good-naturedly.

Understandably, there will be students that choose to express themselves in different ways, whether it's a tattoos or fashions or an attitude that wasn't checked at the door. It's an instructor's job to keep the class focused, not to spearhead its distraction.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tattoos and long hair have never been a problem. Piercings are removed or taped down.

However I wish they would be more strict at our Ju Jutsu club regarding long nails. Some time ago I got my cheek slashed open from ear to nose by an idiot who hadn`t cut his toe nails for weeks. Soon I am going to carry a nail cutter and forcibly cut people`s nails when having them in a lock :daf:Especially long painted ones!!!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Carol Kaur said:
I agree with you Jesse.

Not in to tattoos, weird hair, or piercings myself but I'd be downright furious if I plunked down cash for a school and discovered the instructors either participated in (or otherswise condoned) poking fun of another student, even good-naturedly.

Understandably, there will be students that choose to express themselves in different ways, whether it's a tattoos or fashions or an attitude that wasn't checked at the door. It's an instructor's job to keep the class focused, not to spearhead its distraction.

Good points, Carol! My instructor has even changed his thoughts on this. In the 70's & 80's he stated "Men should have short hair in class.....How many long-haired boxers do you see?" He has since taken that statement out of our textbook. Maybe he still feels that way, but maybe he realizes it's only a fashion thing & will change.

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Cirdan said:
Some time ago I got my cheek slashed open from ear to nose by an idiot who hadn`t cut his toe nails for weeks. Soon I am going to carry a nail cutter and forcibly cut people`s nails when having them in a lock :daf:

I hate being slashed by Raptor toe and finger nails.

I belive while we are on the subject of Tats , hair and nails....

How about bathing before class if you please. It really stinks (pun intended :) ) when you partner up and roll around with a STANKY person.

Soap and water are you friends, become one with them.

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
This phrasing concerns me greatly: "Does your instructor/sensei ALLOW."..?

Exactly what right would he/she have to allow/disallow anything you wish to do to your person?

They are simply a martial arts instructor.

Sam, you let somone in a martial arts class dictate what kind/size tattoo you wanted to get???!!!
I find that outrageous.

Kreth - you might want to do a little research on the history of the "sawistka"... especially with regards to Shorinji Kempo (LOL).

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
This phrasing concerns me greatly: "Does your instructor/sensei ALLOW."..?

Exactly what right would he/she have to allow/disallow anything you wish to do to your person?

They are simply a martial arts instructor.

Sam, you let somone in a martial arts class dictate what kind/size tattoo you wanted to get???!!!
I find that outrageous.

Kreth - you might want to do a little research on the history of the "swastika"... especially with regards to Shorinji Kempo (LOL).

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Toasty said:
Kreth - you might want to do a little research on the history of the "sawistka"... especially with regards to Shorinji Kempo (LOL).
I'm familiar with the origins of the swastika, and its use as a peace symbol. However, most people who have one tattooed these days are after its more recent interpretation.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find that outrageous.

Trying to read what I'm saying from an outside point of view, I guess it seems ludacrious. It's really hard to explain the atmosphere and relationsips and the way things are in my studio. We really are a close knit family and I know its different than many other schools.

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Kreth - i kinda figured you did know, thats why the "LOL" at the end...

Sam - it's the way you wrote it & what your response was to my query that sounds strange to me. It sounds (no offense intended) rather cult-ish to me. Tattoos are very personal & have very strong meanings (usually) to the people who have them.
By your description "...planned as a large calf piece", I assume what you wanted to have done fell into that catagory?
So, to let someone talk you out of a large calf piece into a "small karate guy" on your ankle smacks of "groupthink".
Can i ask, how old you are & how long you have been training with this group? Also, what system/style of martial arts?
If you dont want to answer - thats cool too.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Toasty said:
Kreth - you might want to do a little research on the history of the "swastika"... especially with regards to Shorinji Kempo (LOL).

You might want to as well; The Shorinji Kempo is in the reverse direction and not called a swastika.

Also see: An ancient cosmic or religious symbol formed by a Greek cross with the ends of the arms bent at right angles in either a clockwise or a counterclockwise direction.

Such a symbol with a clockwise bend to the arms, used as the emblem of the Nazi party and of the German state under Adolf Hitler, officially adopted in 1935.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Toasty said:
Sam - it's the way you wrote it & what your response was to my query that sounds strange to me. It sounds (no offense intended) rather cult-ish to me. Tattoos are very personal & have very strong meanings (usually) to the people who have them.
By your description "...planned as a large calf piece", I assume what you wanted to have done fell into that catagory?
So, to let someone talk you out of a large calf piece into a "small karate guy" on your ankle smacks of "groupthink".
Can i ask, how old you are & how long you have been training with this group? Also, what system/style of martial arts?
If you dont want to answer - thats cool too.

If you are trying not to offend people, I personally would avoid using words like "cult". Still, no offense taken. It was already planned to be a karate themed thing, it was just the size which was altered... I had originally planned very large, from below the knee to above the foot. They couldnt talk me out of a tattoo completely, (they think I will hate it when I'm 60). I am 17 and have been training in Tracy's Chinese Kenpo for the past 2 years.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Sam said:
I had originally planned very large, from below the knee to above the foot.

Man that's going to hurt when you get sick of it or a future significant other gets sick of it and you end up getting it removed.

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
That was the original plan, they talked me out of it. Its gonna be small on the ankle now

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:
Man that's going to hurt when you get sick of it or a future significant other gets sick of it and you end up getting it removed.
:idunno:
I would say that the majority of people who get inked are happy with the work that they get. And anyone that would demand tattoo removal as a condition of a relationship... Well, as the saying goes, not only no...
You might want to as well; The Shorinji Kempo is in the reverse direction and not called a swastika.
Don't be too hasty. I've seen at least one neo-Nazi wannabe who had his "swastika" done backwards... :lol:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Kreth said:
Don't be too hasty. I've seen at least one neo-Nazi wannabe who had his "swastika" done backwards... :lol:

Wouldn't that make him an izan-oen, or a Buddhist?

One of the strangest things I saw in China, from a westerners perspective, were pictures of Buddha with what I first perceived as a swastika on his forehead. Then I realized it was backwards and it is also a Buddhist symbol

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kreth said:
I would say that the majority of people who get inked are happy with the work that they get. And anyone that would demand tattoo removal as a condition of a relationship... Well, as the saying goes, not only no...

In Germany, where images of the swastika are illegal, it's pretty common for the neo-nazis to get it backwards from how the original nazis had it. Least it was back when I was there. That might have changed since the new flow of info online though.

Jeff

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sam said:
If you are trying not to offend people, I personally would avoid using words like "cult". Still, no offense taken. It was already planned to be a karate themed thing, it was just the size which was altered... I had originally planned very large, from below the knee to above the foot. They couldnt talk me out of a tattoo completely, (they think I will hate it when I'm 60). I am 17 and have been training in Tracy's Chinese Kenpo for the past 2 years.

Sam --- Your 17, dont do it. Wait, wait, wait, go to college, get a job then if you want a tatoo do it. To each there own, but listen to others and wait.
In Peace,
Jesse

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Xue Sheng said:

Also see: An ancient cosmic or religious symbol formed by a Greek cross with the ends of the arms bent at right angles in either a clockwise or a counterclockwise direction.

Such a symbol with a clockwise bend to the arms, used as the emblem of the Nazi party and of the German state under Adolf Hitler, officially adopted in 1935.

Uhhhh, yeah I know. Hence the LOL at the end of my original post, and re-iterated in my second post.
You might want to check into reading comprehension before spouting off... thanks.

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Kreth said:

:lol:

Exactly!

Toasty

Green Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Sam said:

OK. thanks for the answer.

Good luck with your training.

Latest Discussions