Take down and then take off

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I still remember when I trained the "knee seize" technique, I had to run at least 20 feet after I have taken my opponent down. After the ground game started to be popular, this kind of training (take your opponent down and then take off) no longer exist in most people's training. I'm afraid in the future, people may not even know such MA training exist.

What's your opinion on this?

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
My opinion on the actual technique of the knee seize? Fine, if you can pull it off without getting hit (too much)...

Opinion on the premise of "take down and take off"? From a self defence perspective it's great and it's still a part of "our" SD, should be part of everybody's imo.

axelb

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A great perspective on drilling that takedown, I've never done it that way.
Of course it can be pulled of without being hit with the right timing!

I expect you could extend that drill to other takedowns (outer leg reaping springs to mind for closer range)

spidersam

Orange Belt
Reaction score
This "knee seize" is just one shuai jiao technique, no? Still fairly popular and useful, many schools teach shuai jiao

CrazedChris

Green Belt
Reaction score
I think take down and take off is a great idea, it is very practical in real life usage.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In my old school, we would do whatever takedown/disabling/room creating technique, and have to sprint away. The 'attacker' would then try to chase you down. There was a sewer crate a bit away from the back of the building...if you got there first, you 'won', if the attacker caught up to you, you lost and have to try again.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would prefer to secure the position first. I tend to self defence more conservatively.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would prefer to secure the position first. I tend to self defence more conservatively.
The trade off is when you have secured your position, your opponent may also have secured his position. You and your opponent may end like this.

dead_lock1.jpg

When you are moving and also your opponent moves with you. You don't have good balance but your opponent also doesn't have good balance.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
In wrestling we call it the blast. You can blast knee chop. Blast a single or blast a double. When doing so you run through the opponent or you do a penetration step dropping onto the lead leg knee as a level change and blast through. You don’t stop until the opponent is down.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like the concept, especially that it is not only acceptable, but sometimes the best option.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The trade off is when you have secured your position, your opponent may also have secured his position. You and your opponent may end like this.

dead_lock1.jpg

When you are moving and also your opponent moves with you. You don't have good balance but your opponent also doesn't have good balance.

See I kind of want to have good balance and my opponent not have good balance.

I also would not want to run off and get ankle tapped on the way out.