Tae Kwon Do self defense clip

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Found this video on Youtube showing what is claimed to be Tae Kwon Do self defense. I'm not going to comment on it, just want to get people's reactions.

Last edited by a moderator:

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As lot of it reminded me of Kenpo. There seemed to be a little grappling mixed in. He turned his back to his opponent, in-close, many times, which I find highly inadvisable. The weapons defense techniques were...ill-considered.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That didn't look like TKD at all to me. I recognize some of the joint lock techniques from hapkido and the system I train in, and those gun disarms were just ... bad. But I agree with Arnisador - looks mostly like Kenpo to me.

OP
Y

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I thought so too. He claimed a total of 29 years in Tae Kwon Do and Tang Soo Do. I like how his opponent just stood there and let him do the techniques. I highly doubt a real opponent would do that.
As far as I know, UFAF is Chuck Norris' organization, and it does look quite a bit more like kenpo. I saw nothing really that would indicate a Korean-based background.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate self defense demos like that...

The attacks weren't realistic, and the attacker's reactions weren't plausible, either.

It's easy to do fancy self defense on someone who's just being a target... If you're selling 'em to me -- work 'em with some resistance!

rmclain

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not Taekwondo. Looks like he has a Kenpo background. He threw in a few techniques from Hapkido later in the video.

R. McLain

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's not Taekwondo. Looks like he has a Kenpo background. He threw in a few techniques from Hapkido later in the video.

R. McLain

I couldn't agree more. It didn't look ANYTHING look TKD and to me looked a LOT like Kenpo.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
HEY HEY HEY NOW! I understand why y'all think it looks like kenpo, but that doesn't look like ANY kenpo I'VE ever trained in. Just want to be clear on that. So don't try to sluff this dirty laundry off on us over here. :rofl:

Really, there were some bizarre things in there. Seems like the fancier the combos get, the more they just can't resist giving up a good position just to keep on going and make it longer. It's weird. I mean, he gets a joint lock on, and then lets it go so he can pummel the guy some more. Weird. And why does it take a flurry of 47 strikes to take a guy down who is just standing there? Oh yeah, it's because he hasn't developed any power, I guess...

funny, but somebody out there is actually proud of this video.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, some of the strikes could be TKD... sort of... but I know no pracitioners who would be that loose and sloppy and be proud of it. The throws and locks look more like Hapkido to me... and both of those guys need to work on their technique; I realize it was a demonstration, but I've seen more realistic demos from teens, and they weren't wearing black belts, either.

OP
Y

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
HEY HEY HEY NOW! I understand why y'all think it looks like kenpo, but that doesn't look like ANY kenpo I'VE ever trained in. Just want to be clear on that. So don't try to sluff this dirty laundry off on us over here. :rofl:

Really, there were some bizarre things in there. Seems like the fancier the combos get, the more they just can't resist giving up a good position just to keep on going and make it longer. It's weird. I mean, he gets a joint lock on, and then lets it go so he can pummel the guy some more. Weird. And why does it take a flurry of 47 strikes to take a guy down who is just standing there? Oh yeah, it's because he hasn't developed any power, I guess...

funny, but somebody out there is actually proud of this video.

Sorry, didn't mean to insult the Kenpo guys! Seriously, I hope he doesn't teach this stuff to students and claim it's realistic self defense. I like the way he just reaches in and grabs the assault rifle. I highly doubt you should do that outside.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If your tecnique takes 5-10 moves to down your opponent, that's one sad technique!

Alot of his stuff was just to flashy.

I liked his gun disarms except the shotgun. No fool gets that close with one.

And I sure didn't see any 'secrets'.

Guys, keep in mind if you ever have to do this stuff the other guy isn't gonna just stand there. Expect some real resistance and even if you hit them they will react and do something you didn't expect.

They sure won't stand there and let you keep pounding.

Deaf

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If your tecnique takes 5-10 moves to down your opponent, that's one sad technique!

Deaf,
i cant agree. I have BB's in TKD and Kenpo, and I can tell you, TKD's weakness is that it relies on one or two strong techniques. And in the street, you cant RELY on being able to drop the other guy in one or two shots.

Kenpo trains you to not stop hitting till the bad guys goes DOWN. if that takes 2 hits, fine, if it takes 10 hits, fine, a Kenpo stylist can handle that. Many TKD stylists cant because they havnt been trained to flow from one technique to another smoothly and in a logical way.

That being said, the guy in the clip moves well enough, but it seems clear to me he isnt or hasnt really TRAINED in kenpo, as he makes some basic mistakes.

OP
Y

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I disagree. What Taekwondo teaches is focus and fluidity. I've noticed many Kenpo people will simpy stand there and do one technique after another. What Taekwondo teaches is to keep moving so that you don't get hit, and to develop power in the technique.
Granted, Kenpo techniques tend to come rapid fire, but there seems to be no real power and if you step back out of range (because it is definitely a close quarter style) I daresay a Kenpoist would have a hard time hitting you.
Not to say it is not effective at what it does, but Taekwondo takes a different approach which works just as well.
Having said that, I can't say I saw any real Taekwondo in the clip.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it was nice of him to remember to use his feet in some of his moves.

I agree it looks more like Kenpo than TKD

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is not the TKD. Those who wish to learn Kenpo should seek out a Kenpo school. This is confusing, what this man is doing.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Deaf,
i cant agree. I have BB's in TKD and Kenpo, and I can tell you, TKD's weakness is that it relies on one or two strong techniques. And in the street, you cant RELY on being able to drop the other guy in one or two shots.
The TKD you know may rely on one or two strong techniques... the TKD I know does not. Different experiences lead to different interpretations - however, my sahbum is very big on not relying on any one (or 2, or 3....) techniques too much, because someone, somewhere, will know how to counter or avoid any particular technique - therefore he spends lots of time teaching multiple techniques and how to use them in different situations.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Kacey,
I dont mean one or two particular techniques, I mean a one or two move combination.

kenpo teaches 4,5,6,7,10 move combinations.

I have never, in 24 years, seen a TKD stylist that throws more than 2-3 shot combos. because they rely on power. And I have been to Korea, I have seen how they do it, and all across america.

TKD doesnt flow. Shotokan doesnt flow. and we all know where TKD came from................

it can be taught that way, thats what i am doing, but if i change mine much more, it will stop being tkd

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
kenpo teaches 4,5,6,7,10 move combinations.

Ten moves in a row? That's senseless if it's meant as a specific self-defense technique (as opposed to being interpreted like a kata). This is why Kenpo demos always have a uke who stands stock-still, as in this demo.

I have never, in 24 years, seen a TKD stylist that throws more than 2-3 shot combos.

Much the same is true of boxing. There are no ten-shot combos in boxing, because they can't work and in boxing those whose techniques don't work are indisputably identified as the losers.

Short combos makes sense. You can apply them. The trick is knowing how to do a three-move combo, get an effect, and then immediately launch another one based on what's happened and who's moved where.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Deaf,

Twin,

The one step sparring you do just one punch and stand there. Now in practice I do mutple hand technques (boxing crosed with some MA moves) but, I fell that after the first few punches the guy will move! He won't stay there in any set stance but will react.

Unlike Kenpo, I don't feel the guy will react in specific ways to specific strikes. A back fist to the jaw may invoke many different responses depending on the size, strength, training, etc.. of the other guy.

Oh I agree to keep a shoot'en til the drop, always felt that was the way to go. But, if one is going to practice one step sparring, then a few strong technques backed with say a takedown is a better route. Just don't stand there blasting away forever at a guy who just sticks his arm out and stands there.

Deaf

Latest Discussions