Tae Kwon Do for Zombie Defense

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was posting on another message board (at http://www.badmovies.org) and someone was asking about a Zombie Survival Guide and it occurred to me that Tae Kwon Do is a perfect ant-zombie self-defense.

Zombies are traditionally not that fast and are vulnerable to head shots. Sounds like a perfect application for high kicks.

Think about it...would you rather take on a zombie with Tae Kwon Do or be rolling on the ground with them with BJJ , considering they tend to travel in numbers.

I think there's a marketing opportunity somewhere in this...

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if I was getting paid to be in the bad movie, I guess it would not matter. Now in real life the Zombie defense would not work simply because there are no real Zombie that would mug the average person.
icon10.gif

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know....I'm thinking kendo with a live blade would be the best.
I do like your marketing idea. If I had a large school in an urban area, I would be tempted to make an anti-zombie martial arts commercial for the school. That would be awesome!

Cool link by the way!
I really want to see Zombie Lake http://www.badmovies.org/othermovies/zombielake/

AoG

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know....I'm thinking kendo with a live blade would be the best.

Ya beat me to it on the swords. I had been thinking Iado. Then again, thrusting and cutting aren't decapitating moves. We might do better swinging something a little heavier, like a claymore or zweihaender. Or maybe a chainsaw a la Bruce Campbell.

Yesterday my youngest daughter was playing with a bunch of action figures.
I asked, "What are you playing?"
"Zombies!", she replied.
I picked one up, walked it around, and said in my best zombie groan, "Live brains...live braaaaaains."
She giggled at my obvious ignorance and informed me, "No, Daddy, that's a flesh-eating zombie! These are the brain-eating zombies."
"You definitely are your mother's child."

Dan

Andy Moynihan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
People's Banana Republic of Massachusettstan, Disu
Ya beat me to it on the swords. I had been thinking Iado. Then again, thrusting and cutting aren't decapitating moves. We might do better swinging something a little heavier, like a claymore or zweihaender. Or maybe a chainsaw a la Bruce Campbell.

I'd steer clear of the chainsaw on noise alone, might give you a psychological boost but also announces to every zombie in earshot "Dinner is served".

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are groups out there that believe that if you're prepared to defend against zombies, you're prepared for any disaster.

Like the Zombie Squad.

You should check them out. It's an eclectic group of people and I'm sure some folks out of such groups (they're all over) would be interested in MAs; if not already training.

I think in one of the documentaries including the Dog Brothers stated that a lot of the members are aware of a deteriorating social structure and train to protect their families and homes in such a situation.

However, if a zombies were coming after me, I'd rather have a gun.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Although I'm a Tae-Kwon-Doist, I'd have to go with Shot-Gun-Do on this one.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any empty hand martial art would be worse than suicidal against zombies. That goes double for one with no real defenses against getting grabbed and only rudimentary close-in defense skills like TKD.

Big heavy objects. Big sharp blades. Large caliber firearms. Those are the only real defense.

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm going to go with the 45 caliber pistol. You guys will have to make up your own mind, of course. And lots of ammunition. LOTS.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was posting on another message board (at http://www.badmovies.org) and someone was asking about a Zombie Survival Guide and it occurred to me that Tae Kwon Do is a perfect ant-zombie self-defense.

Zombies are traditionally not that fast and are vulnerable to head shots. Sounds like a perfect application for high kicks.

Think about it...would you rather take on a zombie with Tae Kwon Do or be rolling on the ground with them with BJJ , considering they tend to travel in numbers.

I think there's a marketing opportunity somewhere in this...
If you think Zombies are "traditionally not that fast" you need to watch this version/remake of a Romero favorite http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0363547/

Generally you do NOT want any Zombie (fast or slow) within reach... period.
Remember they're dead... they feel no pain and are not subject to being "knocked out".

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-When it comes to combating Zombies, I think you have to take each situation on individually. Certainly have a gun and ammo, but a back up weapon, guess something with blade, but a mace would work too, if you can get behind them, severe the spine, base of the skull, or bash in as hard as possible. Maybe any serious head trauma, my info on brain activity with the undead is a little rusty. Now if you're in a wide open area, running is a weapon, so obviously it pays to be in shape, but also FIRE!!! What zombie doesn't love fire? Well, guess they have a one tract mind, flesh, but if you're not too concerned about the surrounding environment, fire it up. Old, abandoned hotel, burn 'em. Field of grass, burn 'em. You're home? Depends on if you're ever coming back to it.

Andrew

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Generally you do NOT want any Zombie (fast or slow) within reach... period.
Remember they're dead... they feel no pain and are not subject to being "knocked out".
Yeah, but their connective tissue is slurry so you can pop their heads off like soccer balls with a well placed kick. Worst part is cleaning your pants afterwards.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
As much as it pains me to say this if TKD could be good against zombies due to high kicking&#8230;.. I can&#8217;t believe I&#8217;m going to say this but&#8230;.. Savate might be better :uhyeah:

But on the bright side Changuan might be pretty good too :D

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Maybe Glock Do, or Kalashnikov do, or Armilite do, (or a combination of the 'do's above!) but not Taekwondo for zombies.

Taekwondo for such is like being given a choice betwen a pistol and a rifle when going to war. I really enjoy pistols, but I'd pick the rifle. And so it is with Taekwondo for zombies. I'd pick a gun! Just about any gun over TKD.

Deaf

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'd steer clear of the chainsaw on noise alone, might give you a psychological boost but also announces to every zombie in earshot "Dinner is served".
Swords also have the advantage of being easier on gas. :)

Much as I love martial arts, and much as Milla Jovovich is an inspiration in this area, I would have to agree with those who have brought up various sub-styles of Gun Fu.

GlassJaw

Orange Belt
Reaction score
it occurred to me that Tae Kwon Do is a perfect ant-zombie self-defense.

"Ant-zombie"? The sequel to "Them!".

This is one of those discussion threads that grows so fast that it's tough to keep up with the new posts. But I found that you don't have to scroll through all the old material each time you log in--just hit the link at the top that says View First Undead.

Dan

OP
F

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Note: Implicit assumption in initial posts is that guns/ammo (and maybe other resources) are not available or not an option :)

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
My wife just made an excellent point. What sort of zombies are we talking about? If they're Dawn of the Dead Americanized Hollywood zombies, then the mace/gun/sword/chainsaw stuff is all on track.

If they're the real Haitian bocor-raised thing that's all too much work. The easiest way is to find the sorcerer who made them and cut off his head. The other cure is salt. If a zombie tastes salt it will go back to the grave forever. I recommend firehoses with salt water.

The more clever among us will want to do something that is easy, safe and gets someone else to do the heavy lifting, someone who will not tire and will dedicate every single moment to destroying the threat. Carpet beetles. They're easy to raise. They will eat the zombies down to bare bone in an incredibly short time. They make more carpet beetles which will eat more zombies.

Latest Discussions