Suspend and/or Expel Student

Master K

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

This question is for the instructor’s out there. How many of you have suspended or expelled a student from your school?

Thanks in Advance,
MK

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In thirty years of teaching I have only sent 39 people walking from my school, all ranging from being a toyal *** to being not of the charature I want in my school. I hate to say this but it is the truth.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have kicked a few out and told others they had a choice of going or staying. Those that i said the latter to where told stright out that there was ONE head instructor in the school and that they needed to remember that or hit the bricks.
As for suspentions only 2 and they never came back on their own

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have had a few incidents in 17 years that needed addressing in that fashion but fortunately it hasn't been often. One bad apple can be a big problem if you don't nip it early.

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
never had to. seems like bad eggs just didn't stick around my club somehow. too much clean livin', i guess :angel:

jf

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
never had to. seems like bad eggs just didn't stick around my club somehow. too much clean livin', i guess :angel:

jf

"Clean livin'"

Helluva euphanism for puttin' on the pain ;)

Skippy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
A few which has been unfortunate but then again it would not have been fair to the students that came to class & were doing their best to keep being subjected to bullies that went out of their way to hurt others when they would spar. People will pick up an injury here & there when they spar but when you have people whos intent to actually cause injury to a fellow student because they get a thrill well they both had issues & they had to go, simple as that.:whip1:

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am not the head instructor or owner of the schools so I don't get to do the kicking out. But I have seen a few go. Most times I don't even know they were kicked out. I just don't see them anymore and ask "hey what happened to so and so, they don't show up anymore". Then I am told the story of why they were asked to leave. Even had a couple of instructors get the boot.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've not had to ask anyone to leave my dojang yet.

When I was a gup student we had a big problem one night. Two instructors were sparring before class. Our master had not arrived yet. One of the fighters was a guy who was well known internationally as a fighter....the other was a young master who was being groomed by our master to run his own school under my master.

One cheap shot after another (that wasn't apologized for) happened with both men. Soon this was a fighter, not a sparring match! Other BB's separated the 2 after one wanted to "take it outside." Our master walked in just as those words were said.

BOTH were sat down individually & asked their version of the story. BOTH were told they were no longer welcome in our dojang.

While this was a big hit to the make-up of our school, I remember respecting my instructor a great deal for making this tough decision. 25+ years later, I still think it was the right thing to do.

Flea

Beating you all over those fries!
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For you instructors, what is considered an expellable offense?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
To answer the OP, I rarely havehad to do so, but I have 2 that are at the top of my list: 1 for stealing and 1 for continually disrespecting my assistant instructors.

For you instructors, what is considered an expellable offense?

I am sure there are a many good reason, but for me, no matter the offense, it is just asking myself, "can I salvage them?" I hate having to answer no, but it can happen.

kingkong89

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thankfully none yet there have been a few times where i have come close though here receintly

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Seen people kicked out for not paying, not bathing, bullying, disrespecting, drugs & drinking (before class), and stealing stuff out of people's bags & clothes in the dressing room.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Seen people kicked out for not paying, not bathing, bullying, disrespecting, drugs & drinking (before class), and stealing stuff out of people's bags & clothes in the dressing room.

Remind me not to train at your school.
icon10.gif

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

How big was this school? I just can't see this happening even at the biggest school I've been part of. The head instructor and assistant would crush someone who stole from thier teammates. Not paying, well if something can not be worked out **** happens, bullying ( again, you would get to roll with an instructor, then if you could walk you might get a second chance, might). This kind of stuff was just never dreamed of, such was the gym culture. Even in the smaller private place, this isn't even thought of. Perhaps it comes down to the Head Instuctor and the tone he sets.

Latest Discussions