Black belt Putin offers to join Russian judo team

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
http://af.reuters.com/article/oddlyEnoughNews/idAFTRE5BJ0U120091220

r

MOSCOW (Reuters) - Black belted Russian leader Vladimir Putin has offered to join the national judo team after showing off his martial arts skills to members of the squad.
The 57-year-old prime minister made the proposal at a special coaching session on Saturday aired on state television, adding to his carefully-crafted macho image.
Putin, who many observers believe is still paramount leader despite standing down as president last year, entered the hall of St Petersburg's School of Sport Mastery dressed in a white judogi and black belt, to applause from the assembled squad.
After bowing, the former KGB spy went onto the mats, throwing squad members half his age and even tackling the chief trainer, Olympic Gold medallist Ezio Gamba.

Skippy

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Kind of funny one of my best friends' is like the President of ... The Cult of George W. Bush. ...(Must be all that weed he smoked in the 1980's) Anyways he's paranoid about the so called evil Russians & Putin & he's just viewed this. Think it's ruined his day! Lolz!:shock:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel all world leaders should take a martial art. Then, when trouble rears it's ugly head, let them fight it out to the best man standing. Sure would save a lot of money and many lives.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yeah. That would work great. Our freedom in the hands of one man. One slip up on his part and we're part of a communist empire. That guy loses the next day to england and now we have a parliament. Then the next day the King falls to a Nazi and I'm in a concentration camp.

No thanks. War is ugly, but your alternative is revolting.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I feel all world leaders should take a martial art. Then, when trouble rears it's ugly head, let them fight it out to the best man standing. Sure would save a lot of money and many lives.

Welcome to the Klingon empire :D

Yeah. That would work great. Our freedom in the hands of one man. One slip up on his part and we're part of a communist empire. That guy loses the next day to england and now we have a parliament. Then the next day the King falls to a Nazi and I'm in a concentration camp.

No thanks. War is ugly, but your alternative is revolting.

I am willing to admit I am missing the point here but I do not think that was implied by what seasoned posted. My take was that there would be less arguments and fights if it was more likely that they would have to stand and fight for themselves. And losing does not necessarily mean a shift of power or government.... Just because I fought a guy and lost does not mean he is now my boss or in charge... it means I lost... I don't think we are talking Eminiar Seven here (to stay within the star trek references)... but then I could be wrong.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score

It would be great!

Unfortunately war is about gaining limited resources and large scale control and has nothing to do with (winning) anything (as in a competition) so it would never happen.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
War is not about who's right but about who's left.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The fact that a world leader would openly compet is terrific. I applaud him for this offer

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Klingon empire :D

I am willing to admit I am missing the point here but I do not think that was implied by what seasoned posted. My take was that there would be less arguments and fights if it was more likely that they would have to stand and fight for themselves. And losing does not necessarily mean a shift of power or government.... Just because I fought a guy and lost does not mean he is now my boss or in charge... it means I lost... I don't think we are talking Eminiar Seven here (to stay within the star trek references)... but then I could be wrong.
I knew, you would get it.
icon7.gif

xfighter88

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You know unlike George Bush who was nothing more than Daddy's spoiled little brat Putin is the real deal & I think it's a good thing to see a world leader involved in the martial arts!:mst:

I don't see obama doing martial arts either.....president bashing aside, it is cool to see a world leader rocking out in martial arts competitions

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Who is going to say, "No, you can't be on the team." LOL!

Msby

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't see obama doing martial arts either.....president bashing aside, it is cool to see a world leader rocking out in martial arts competitions
I heard Obama earned green belt in TKD during 4 years of training. Wouldn't mind seeing him start competing in some tournaments! :)

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds way more fun than any of our recent presidents. Reagan chopped wood for fun...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I personally would love to see Putin compete against world class Judoka from other countries. Though of course this will in all probability never happen. Instead I imagine he will be a coach.
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions