sure signs of a mcdojo and other schools to watch out for...

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
For those looking to start martial arts for the first time, and those questioning the school they're in now, here's a few things to look out for:

1. the "grandmaster" who promises that you will gain forever happiness if you follow him
2. monthly school activities, admission is charged, discounts may be provided if you bring a friend
3. monthly testing which costs a lump of money, trophies and certificates are provided, students pass even when obvious they don't perform well
4. payment plans where the real price is difficult to figure out
5. when signing up, you have to sign up today or this week to take advantage of the "special deal" which the salesman/instructor is giving you because he "likes" you
6. the instructors/masters/grandmaster says you will solve all problems by practicing martial arts
7. master/grandmaster who says he can teach you to travel vast distances during meditation and enter new worlds...
8. places where instructors/office workers, don't last long
9. places where students are unsure if they can defend them self even after some years of practice
10. places where you hear high ranking students stuck in a contract mumbling amongst themselves how they're paying the big bucks to learn how to get their asses kicked
11. any place or mc-chain school that bomb rushes you to sign up for a contract as soon as you enter the door
12. places where you can only "upgrade" your contract and not renew your existing contract (why need a contract anyway?)
13. if looking for practical self-defense, avoid places where the majority of students are children or "pee wee" and which have adult students but never seem to practice anything reliable for modern considerations, or where their self-defense consists of 1 step style sparing where attacker leave limb out and defender assumes a horse stance or forward stance to execute a block and do a reverse punch which he leaves his arm out also... thinking this was perfect self-defense
14. places where you learn to throw multi-colored ki/chi/qi balls
15. places where you learn "secret ultra deadly" techniques after a month or two of classes
16. the master/grandmaster who forces you to pledge your loyalty and/or life to him

Anyway, this is just a short list. Just some things to watch out for, because in this world, people are often thinking of their pocket books first rather than thinking of the student's needs. And some places are a little wacky that might affect one's sanity or may be potentially harmful.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
For those looking to start martial arts for the first time, and those questioning the school they're in now, here's a few things to look out for:

1. the "grandmaster" who promises that you will gain forever happiness if you follow him
2. monthly school activities, admission is charged, discounts may be provided if you bring a friend
3. monthly testing which costs a lump of money, trophies and certificates are provided, students pass even when obvious they don't perform well
4. payment plans where the real price is difficult to figure out
5. when signing up, you have to sign up today or this week to take advantage of the "special deal" which the salesman/instructor is giving you because he "likes" you
6. the instructors/masters/grandmaster says you will solve all problems by practicing martial arts
7. master/grandmaster who says he can teach you to travel vast distances during meditation and enter new worlds...
8. places where instructors/office workers, don't last long
9. places where students are unsure if they can defend them self even after some years of practice
10. places where you hear high ranking students stuck in a contract mumbling amongst themselves how they're paying the big bucks to learn how to get their asses kicked
11. any place or mc-chain school that bomb rushes you to sign up for a contract as soon as you enter the door
12. places where you can only "upgrade" your contract and not renew your existing contract (why need a contract anyway?)
13. if looking for practical self-defense, avoid places where the majority of students are children or "pee wee" and which have adult students but never seem to practice anything reliable for modern considerations, or where their self-defense consists of 1 step style sparing where attacker leave limb out and defender assumes a horse stance or forward stance to execute a block and do a reverse punch which he leaves his arm out also... thinking this was perfect self-defense
14. places where you learn to throw multi-colored ki/chi/qi balls
15. places where you learn "secret ultra deadly" techniques after a month or two of classes
16. the master/grandmaster who forces you to pledge your loyalty and/or life to him

Anyway, this is just a short list. Just some things to watch out for, because in this world, people are often thinking of their pocket books first rather than thinking of the student's needs. And some places are a little wacky that might affect one's sanity or may be potentially harmful.

Experienced all thee above, except color qi balls... do you know who would teach that? so my arsenal will be complete.

OP
wushuguy

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
wow, you met all those kinds of people too! good experience for both of us then. perhaps others have experienced some questionable instructors of these types or other types also?

the ki ball guy i met, he was in southern CA, somewhat demented TKD guy.... I know he moved overseas, England I think. Anyway I won't name names here, but gosh, some people really need to learn to draw the line between reality and DBZ! but maybe he matured a bit and out grew the ki blasts?

masurai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
And don't forget, if this guy is the sansei it is likely a McDojos

I have to disagree, Guro Ronald has many things to offer. For example weapons such as the spurting flower of death, hiding twenty of your buddies in your car. and lets not forget the shoes. And my favorite how to make your attacker laugh his self to death. But we don't teach that to just anyone, you have to join the super secret ninja samurai club first :),

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I TOTALLY agree with your list! However, #13 shouldn't be an immediate disqualifier.. . Our dojang is VERY traditional, but our branch school has seen fluctuations in age diversity.. . Right now there are only a dozen adults and 40 children! Talk about a handful as an instructor! I would love to bring in more adults/teenagers, but our demos over the past year seem to bring parents in wanting their children to sign up.. .

However, I don't think that is what you meant by #13, we don't offer "lil dragons" or other shinanigans like that.. .

OP
wushuguy

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I TOTALLY agree with your list! However, #13 shouldn't be an immediate disqualifier.. . Our dojang is VERY traditional, but our branch school has seen fluctuations in age diversity.. . Right now there are only a dozen adults and 40 children! Talk about a handful as an instructor! I would love to bring in more adults/teenagers, but our demos over the past year seem to bring parents in wanting their children to sign up.. .

However, I don't think that is what you meant by #13, we don't offer "lil dragons" or other shinanigans like that.. .

Yeah, that isn't what I was meaning, I'm sorry for not being clear on that aspect.

Having many children in class is good, because if you can get them started off right at a young age it's better for the long run.

But for adults, they need to have something geared for adults. And children need curriculum geared for their age. There was a school I've seen and visited where the kids as young as 3, and adults have exactly same cirriculum and the place is run more like a daycare with "cute uniforms" rather than a serious martial arts school... the adults who went to the classes were mostly the parents of the kids who were looking for family style class where they can work out with the kids, rather than the adults learning what adults should learn for a martial art... because in my opinion, there will be needed difference between adult and child curriculum. And for the most part I don't think very young children and adults should partner with each other during class, because the adult loses out on actual class instruction and becomes like a babysitter for the young one.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If this is one of the senior students it might be a McDojos

I have to disagree, Guro Ronald has many things to offer. For example weapons such as the spurting flower of death, hiding twenty of your buddies in your car. and lets not forget the shoes. And my favorite how to make your attacker laugh his self to death. But we don't teach that to just anyone, you have to join the super secret ninja samurai club first :),

I forgot about that... I guess I could be wrong :D

But if this guy is there its a McDojos for sure

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Ah, so Ronald was a Shinobi after all. I always wondered...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If this is part of the school uniform.. you might be at a McDojos
1.jpg

By the way there is a Wikipeida def of McDojos here

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If this is part of the school uniform.. you might be at a McDojos
1.jpg

By the way there is a Wikipeida def of McDojos here

Holy Crap! That was our School uniform! We also had belt ranking from as followed, white, yellow, green, blue, purple, pink, orange, brown, red, beige, teal, & a special one for paying 50K generally up front... no refunds.

masurai

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If this is one of the senior students it might be a McDojos

I forgot about that... I guess I could be wrong :D

But if this guy is there its a McDojos for sure

Sorry, but again you have been misinformed. Let us not forget about the damage caused by a overcooked burger when used as a thrown weapon, or a regular burger can be used to cause heart attack, also there is the deadly spatula. And of course his favorite tactic, stealing food. It's hard to fight on a empty belly.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry, but again you have been misinformed. Let us not forget about the damage caused by a overcooked burger when used as a thrown weapon, or a regular burger can be used to cause heart attack, also there is the deadly spatula. And of course his favorite tactic, stealing food. It's hard to fight on a empty belly.

The one true form of this art is actually Western European, not Asian. The grand masters are known as "burgermeisters" and are so esteemed that they get to be the mayor, too! (In Germany, the place where politicians gather is known as the Rathouse.... a title which should be used in the USA as a matter of consumer protection)

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Having many children in class is good, because if you can get them started off right at a young age it's better for the long run.

But for adults, they need to have something geared for adults. And children need curriculum geared for their age. There was a school I've seen and visited where the kids as young as 3, and adults have exactly same cirriculum and the place is run more like a daycare with "cute uniforms" rather than a serious martial arts school... the adults who went to the classes were mostly the parents of the kids who were looking for family style class where they can work out with the kids, rather than the adults learning what adults should learn for a martial art... because in my opinion, there will be needed difference between adult and child curriculum. And for the most part I don't think very young children and adults should partner with each other during class, because the adult loses out on actual class instruction and becomes like a babysitter for the young one.

Yes I totally agree, EVERYONE in the class must be challenged, by age, skill and rank.. . It erks me to see/hear students of various ages and skill levels not being challenged in day to day class. Adults don't start class to become better babysitters! Self-defense, weight loss, etc.. . but not babysitting. I know this is getting a bit off topic, but the other thing that gets me is the variance in skill level. If a higher rank only works out with a lower rank in class and is never challenged themselves, what keeps them interested???

As long as EVERYONE in class is challenged to push their own envelope physically and mentally, everyone should leave satisfied that night.

BTW, I know what you were saying about #13 and I agree with you 100%, just putting in my 2 cents about age variation in class.

teekin

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The one true form of this art is actually Western European, not Asian. The grand masters are known as "burgermeisters" and are so esteemed that they get to be the mayor, too! (In Germany, the place where politicians gather is known as the Rathouse.... a title which should be used in the USA as a matter of consumer protection)

So the house specialty being the "Ratburger" would mean that the Grand Master would be G. Gordon Liddy? Well we can all learn about headshots.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

DAMN!!!!

I didn't know that :D

Latest Discussions