Are Yearly Contracts the Norm Now?

B

bandit959

Hey Folks;
Newbie to the group here, so I'm not sure if this belongs in this forum. If not, I apologize in advance and hope that teh moderators will move it to teh right place.

After a very long absence, I decided to get back into the martial arts once again. I've started the process of checking out schools and I'm finiding it *very* different than 15 years ago.

The major difference that I came across is about 75-80% of the schools I visited all now have contracts. You can't "pay as you go" on a monthly basis as my old school was. (This school isn't in operation. The instructor closed shop when he retired, and I have moved far from the area.) If you can't pay the cost for the year, they offer to finance the cost at a healthy percentage if you can't pay it all up front.

These were the exception rather than the rule back then and I would just look for a different school when I came across a contract school. But I can't seem to find anything else.

I've reached the point where I now call the school and ask about how they conduct business before I go in to see what it is like. I know that I shouldn't let something like that drive my decision, but the contract is not in my best interest.

I won't go into the details about why, but my quetsion to the group here is ...
Are these contract the norm now? Is it just a location thing?

BTW, I'm in the Boston area, just north of the city by about 10 miles.

Thanks for your thoghts!!!
- Rick

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First off welcome to the forum.

Yes it is sometimes hard to find a school that doesn't require a contract any more. I don't blame you for making sure how a school does business before commiting. I have never been fond of contracts, and avoid them as much as possible.

Good luck on finding a school to your liking.

Again welcome to the forum and happy posting.

-Josh

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk! I hope you find your stay here pleasant and interesting!

It's hard to find a commercial dojo who doesn't have contracts. The cost of doing business and the security of said business can be contingent upon contract sales. However, I'm not a huge fan of contracts.

I understand that many schools who operate in sessions have good success - usually 12-week sessions up to a certain rank, then longer sessions for more advanced ranks, or requiring so many 12 weeks sessions per rank, etcetera.

I'm with you - if I were starting over again I would NOT NOT NOT sign a contract. What happens if you reach brown belt and then finally realize "wow, this just is not for me?"

Teachers who charge by the month are likely to be renting space from a larger facility such as a gymnasium, fitness center or community center.

Consider speaking with the head instructor and asking:

1. Can I try out a couple of sessions first if I sign a waiver?

2. Can I purchase a short-term session before signing a long-term contract so I can be sure this is the style for me?

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.

Most schools that I know of have that are established businesses (as apposed to a rented space such as a gym or room somwhere) have contracts. Of those, most will have you sign yearly or offer savings if you sign something extented such as a black belt program. Getting out of such contracts can more often than not, be difficult.

I'm fortunate that in my school, though we have annual contracts, you can quit anytime you want with no penalty and there is no interest tacked on. It's only for budgeting purposes. Unfortunately, mine is the only school I know of like that.

Ask questions and Good luck with your search.

OP
B

bandit959

Thanks for the welcome and the comments as well as the link. I see that it's been an active topic a couple years back.

I have a variety of reasons why I am a bit trepid when it comes to a contract. I can understand why schools want them, especially when it comes to the kids. The bottom line is it's a business and I can appreciate that fact.

I was honestly thinking about starting up at this place that offered several types of contracts, a 3, 6 and 12 month. The 3 cost more, but I don't mind considering that it give me some flexibility. Especially since I never know when I'll get stuck on travel. I liked the instructors sytle and philosophy, there was a good mix of people there, several were around my my age and the place was well established being there for 13 years boasted the instructor.

I went by on Saturday to sign up and *poof*. Closed for business. So what happens if the school closes it's doors? Then what, especially if you'd paid it forward? I think you're kind of stuck, but at least a 3 month will minimize any financial damage.

I think I need to find a little independant dojo, one that isn't in a national system so to speak.

Thanks again for your thoughts!

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Contracts are the main reason I did not return to the TKD studio I enjoyed early on. Moreover, his month-to-month price was twice that of the contract.

I am fortunate to have found the class I am in now. No contracts. Extremely low price and an interested and enjoyable Sensei.

I noticed a difference in the attention the TKD instructor showed to contract vs non-contract students and it was quite dismaying. My Sensei shows the same level of attention to all students. It is the type of attention I would expect from a teacher: a little more time spent with a slower student; more frequent challenges to quicker one.

Good luck with your search,

egg

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Welcome Bandit.

Contacts are a way of trying to guanantee funds with the school to lock people in for a while. My take is simple if you offer a good product and show the student the respect they need they stay without a contract. I hope you find what you atr looking for.
Terry

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think the difference is in the overhead. Classes at the YMCA... minimal overhead, so minimal need for the instructor to do any financial planning. A school with it's own location, bills to pay etc... the Instructor needs some kind of stability and predictability. So that's where contracts come in.

I would never sign (or use once I have my own dojo) a contract longer than 12 months.

We use them now (I am an ***'t instructor) and they work out well for everyone it seems. We are a military town and so we often have students who are gone for a few months at a time... we have no problem working with them to find a solution: suspend their contract until they return for example. It depends on the school I guess. We could be complate jerks about every little thing and squeeze more money out of people but in the long run that would not be good for the school. One of the values we try to teach is commitment and a contract is just an expression of a committment...
We have 6 and 12 month, the 12 month is $10 cheaper per month (79 vs 69).

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They are most often a neccessary method of maintaining the consistant flow of money in order to keep the doors open. Running a school is not cheap.

Having outstanding contracts also makes things easier when dealing with a bank. They are more helpful when you can say I have this much owed to me by contract over the next 6 months, as oppose to I got no guaranteed income over the next 6 months.

They can be abused, and that is waht to wath for. Every contract should have a "How to Cancel" section, and you should be made aware of it before signing.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
They are most often a neccessary method of maintaining the consistant flow of money in order to keep the doors open. Running a school is not cheap.

Having outstanding contracts also makes things easier when dealing with a bank. They are more helpful when you can say I have this much owed to me by contract over the next 6 months, as oppose to I got no guaranteed income over the next 6 months.

They can be abused, and that is waht to wath for. Every contract should have a "How to Cancel" section, and you should be made aware of it before signing.
Agreed on all parts!!!!!

OP
B

bandit959

Hey Folks;

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions. I can understand both perspectives.

But at the end of the day, I have to go with what I feel most comforatble with...what works for *me*. And luckily, I found a no contract school earlier tonight. It's an independant dojo and maybe that's also part of it. The class is a bit younger than me, but I like the instructors style and it's about a 15 minute drive.

BTW, DavidCC, I think that's admirable that you take care of the folks who have to go TDY!

dubljay

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Glad to hear you found a place to train. The most important thing when considering a dojo is whether or not you feel comfortable there, and no one can tell you that except for you.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Looks like you found this (contracts) to be almost everywhere? Every teacher knows students will sign up for class and most will quit after a few months. Very few students will stay to earn a black belt. It takes hard work to reach/earn this belt.

Purpose is to make sure the schools has money to cover the expenses and also to encourage you to stick it out. The longer you stay the more money he will earn from you? Does this make sense?

Our school only do month to month but we do have quarterly and yearly dues if you want it.

Find the one you want and decide if it is worth it? Good luck and Aloha

OP
B

bandit959

I ended up with a Kenpo place of all things. It wasn't really the style I was going for, but there were too many other positives fro me not to try it out. It's close enough to my old style (Gojo Ryu) that I can easily jump back into it, but different enough to challenge me.

And the insturctor is really cool about all the travel that I have to do for work. As long as I can make 4 classes a month, it isn't an issue with him. Of course moving up is problematic, but that really isn't why I wanted to get back into it.

The instructor is really flexible. And I guess that's why the class is a fairly good size. Things might be different if there were only a few people. But so far, I'm really happy... and sore too ;-)

My only regret was waiting so long to get back into it!

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
bandit959 said:
Hey Folks;

BTW, DavidCC, I think that's admirable that you take care of the folks who have to go TDY!
Omaha has a large USAF presence, if we didn't find a way, the school would suffer. We also have 2 med students who have gone out of the country for months at a time, just because you have a contract doesn't mean you can't be flexible. It's good business and it's the right thing to do.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Unfortunately contracts are what keep many schools open. With out knowing that the dues are going to be paid it is hard on many to pay the rent.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes you can find an instructor who keeps low overhead by teaching in the city parks or his own back yard when the weather is good, or in places like the local community college. Sometimes these people can be better instructors, as they are often not trying to make a living thru teaching. When a formal school is opened up, it creates a much stronger obligation to the business side of things, and the teaching quality can suffer because of it. When someone is teaching in their spare time, just because they enjoy it and want to pass on the arts, then the quaility can be better. Just something to consider, although it can be harder to find these guys since they are often not in the yellowpages. I would think a city like Boston might have people like this, tho.

Latest Discussions