_the_frogg_

White Belt
Reaction score
what would you say would work best for a street fight, and don't just say whatever you train in lol really thing like take things from other arts and put them together to make the best art

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
what would you say would work best for a street fight, and don't just say whatever you train in lol really thing like take things from other arts and put them together to make the best art
Is this your new way of asking what is your favorite art?

Think about what you actually want to know about the art to qualify it as 'best' in your view (coolest looking, most applicable in sport fighting, most applicable for LEO, etc.) and why, along with why it's important to you, then base a question around that. Otherwise you're going to end up just posting threads, getting answers or questions that don't actually answer your question, getting frustrated, and posting a new thread just to repeat the process. if you dont believe me, type in the search bar any variation of "what is the best style", or "what is best for the street".

OP
_the_frogg_

_the_frogg_

White Belt
Reaction score
ok then let me rephrase it what would you take from all the arts to make one great art?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you seen MMA? Why reinvent the wheel?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok then let me rephrase it what would you take from all the arts to make one great art?
Again, take time to think your question through. You went from "coolest art" to "best for a street fight" to "great art". None of those terms are defined. What do you consider to be aspects of a great art, that you would want to see?

I'll give you an example of two 'great arts'.

Boxing is a great art. It focuses on just a couple of moves, and a lot of footwork, and there is so much focus on the basics that a decent boxer could take on other fighters in most formats (once he's used to them), even if those formats allow other strikes or grappling.

Combat sambo is a great art. It's unique, but teaches both strikes and grappling, so the people learning it will have tools for different ranges and against different types of fighters.

Capeoira is a great art. It may not be as effective in a ring long-term, but it's movements are unorthodox so it will do a great job of taking someone by surprise in a fight, and it looks cool as hell.

All of these are great arts, for entirely different reasons, and if you combined them, it would get rid of what makes each of them great, individually. So again, what does an art have to have for you to be considered great? What are the measurements you're using for that term?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
No need for me to take from a different fighting system in order to fight.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MartialTalk, young fella'. Tell us about yourself.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Assuming there are no judges, before we can decide what "works best" we need to know what criteria you are using to define the winner.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
what would you say would work best for a street fight,
this.... in this order....
  1. avoidance
  2. using pre assault indicators, and evacuating the danger zone
  3. de- escalation...then evacuate the danger zone
  4. preemptive strikes from the "fence" position..then evacuate the danger zone.
  5. disarm, distract, dominate, disable..then evacuate the danger zone.
do you see a pattern here?
the issue, as you might tell from peoples responses is that self defense is like a puzzle. there are many ways to approach the puzzle in an attempt to solve it. it seems that your current approach is finding techniques or strikes that you feel work then assembling them together to make a group of "things" that work.
this is a base line tactic to the puzzle problem. every system that already exists already have techniques that work.
to give you an analogy, your trying to make a puzzle with the pieces upside down (the picture is hidden). and you have no understanding of the entire picture and what it is supposed to look like. all the while you are looking at your hands and asking questions of us, on the best way to use your hands to make a puzzle.
Find a style and follow it. then try to grasp the pieces of the puzzle and after some time you will understand the overall picture and how everything "fits" together. the answer to your question ...is how everything fits together to make an overall picture of self defense.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
they all work, well nearly all, but non of them work with out the abilities of the person to do them well, some times very very well, some times only quite well will do.

you cant just mix and match techniques from different arts, well you can be you are as likely to end up with nothing much as you are with a,super art

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to MT.

As to this question; don't be there. Fighting on the street is just plain stupid.
If it were a self defense situation and there is no other recourse that's a different situation. Fighting back should be the last option for survival. If it comes to that then use maximum violent aggression and do whatever it takes to survive. (note: survive isn't about winning a fight.)

Define art and define great art.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score

I've heard that if you've been drinking heavily, streets have been known to sneak up and hit people in the face! Personally, I have never had a street attack me. If I had to defend myself from a street attack though, I imagine anything involving a jackhammer would be pretty effective. Sledge hammers will work, but you'd have to be careful to concentrate your hits on the edges, which would draw the fight length out.

I don't know any arts that specifically work with jackhammers (jackhammer jutsu?), so I can't help you there.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've heard that if you've been drinking heavily, streets have been known to sneak up and hit people in the face! Personally, I have never had a street attack me. If I had to defend myself from a street attack though, I imagine anything involving a jackhammer would be pretty effective. Sledge hammers will work, but you'd have to be careful to concentrate your hits on the edges, which would draw the fight length out.

I don't know any arts that specifically work with jackhammers (jackhammer jutsu?), so I can't help you there.
Unrelated, but an interesting idea I heard.

Most fights (from what I was told with this idea, have no stats) occur when one or both of the people are at least slightly inebriated. So if you are in a fight, there's a chance you will be the inebriated one. So people should spar/practice SD techniques in 3 minute rounds, and take a shot between each (while the other person stays sober). Once you're no longer able to defend yourself for 3 minutes, in whatever drill, your partner tells you how many shots you'e had so far. One below that should be your limit when going to bars/clubs.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unrelated, but an interesting idea I heard.

Most fights (from what I was told with this idea, have no stats) occur when one or both of the people are at least slightly inebriated. So if you are in a fight, there's a chance you will be the inebriated one. So people should spar/practice SD techniques in 3 minute rounds, and take a shot between each (while the other person stays sober). Once you're no longer able to defend yourself for 3 minutes, in whatever drill, your partner tells you how many shots you'e had so far. One below that should be your limit when going to bars/clubs.
I've yet to try this, but at the very least it would make for a fun night :D

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've yet to try this, but at the very least it would make for a fun night
Having a shot every 3 minutes (it takes the body about an hour to metabolize 1 shot on average) alternated with violent action (to get your heart rate going) would most likely result in having that street fight where the street sneaks up and hits you in the face! :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Having a shot every 3 minutes (it takes the body about an hour to metabolize 1 shot on average) alternated with violent action (to get your heart rate going) would most likely result in having that street fight where the street sneaks up and hits you in the face! :)
And then I would learn not to do that on public :)

Latest Discussions