Boxing, BJJ, Muay Thai

andrewmoquin

White Belt
Reaction score
've been taking boxing for the past 2 weeks and I plan on taking it for 1 to 2 years. I'm taking fighting for the fun of it and for self-defense. I plan on taking BJJ and Muay Thai after that. And once I get better I might try other martial arts like Kyukushin, Zen Do Kai, Kuk Sool Wan etc...

I'm taking boxing for the punching and movement, BJJ for the grappling and Muay Thai for the kicks. What do you think? Any other martial arts that are fun and good for street defense? And is practical and easy to learn. Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido are too traditional and the enviroment is with wimpy, and untough little kids. The moves were made for different reasons for example the flying kick was used to take someone off a horse and it's hard to catch a punch like in Hapkido. It was meant to catch a sword hand so I don't think those arts are good for me.

What do you think? Any other martial arts that are fun and good for street defense? And is practical and easy to learn. Please tell me if you think my plan for "Boxing>BJJ>Muay Thai>Other Arts" is good.

Gaius Julius Caesar

Black Belt
Reaction score
've been taking boxing for the past 2 weeks and I plan on taking it for 1 to 2 years. I'm taking fighting for the fun of it and for self-defense. I plan on taking BJJ and Muay Thai after that. And once I get better I might try other martial arts like Kyukushin, Zen Do Kai, Kuk Sool Wan etc...

I'm taking boxing for the punching and movement, BJJ for the grappling and Muay Thai for the kicks. What do you think? Any other martial arts that are fun and good for street defense? And is practical and easy to learn. Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido are too traditional and the enviroment is with wimpy, and untough little kids. The moves were made for different reasons for example the flying kick was used to take someone off a horse and it's hard to catch a punch like in Hapkido. It was meant to catch a sword hand so I don't think those arts are good for me.

What do you think? Any other martial arts that are fun and good for street defense? And is practical and easy to learn. Please tell me if you think my plan for "Boxing>BJJ>Muay Thai>Other Arts" is good.

Once you are comfortable with the fundamentals of boxing, maybe you should try a Judo or Jujutsu class. The clinch affords you opertunities for throws and sweeps galore.

When we put on the golves and pads and spar you see a good deal of throws and sweeps and even joint locks when the clinch is forced.

But yours is a good plan, you see allready that no 1 style owns the truth.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score

I think you're putting the cart before the horse a little bit. No real harm in it. But your future choices about training are going to flow out of your experience. And it's early days for your experience. So don't worry too much about setting out your next steps yet.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score
you mention "street defense"... what is your idea or focus on this subject?

Social encounters like the big guy gawking at your girl or a rabid maniac with a mossberg 500 to you back?

While I somewhat understand what your intentions are in your endeavors...you cant double wire yourself to do both... You will do what you train..you will default to what you gross motor skills and large muscle groups have been conditioned to do.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So are you planning to just spend a couple years in each and move on? That's what it sounds like. I doubt anybody on here would support that notion.

And I don't mean to assume to much, but it sounds like your notion of 'street defense' and 'practical' and 'easy to learn' are heavily influenced by a lot of MMA watching. And just using the phrase 'wimpy and untough little kids' sounds strange. Are you looking for a school that has super tough little kids to train with?

But since you already seem to 'know' what is good for street defense and is practical and easy to learn. I'm not sure what information your looking for from people on this site. Now if you said my goal is 'x' and right now I'm training in boxing because I like it for 'x' reasons, and you asked 'what do you think is the best way to accomplish my goal, and do you think boxing meets that' it would make a little more sense to me. As it stands it's seems like you already 'know' everything so I'm unclear as to what you are looking for.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tae Kwon Do and Hapkido are too traditional and the enviroment is with wimpy, and untough little kids.

If you say so. You need to come to our adult only classes as say that.

The moves were made for different reasons for example the flying kick was used to take someone off a horse and it's hard to catch a punch like in Hapkido.
Dude that is not true. Someone told you about a myth that just aint true. No one is kicking anyone off a horse.

It was meant to catch a sword hand
OK you try to catch a sword in hand. You will have no hand left. To many movies...ha ha ha.

Other than that what you are doing should be OK. It is all about what you want to do in the end.