Question for krabi krabong practitioners

P

pknox

A quick question -- for those of you who practice Krabi Krabong, how many of you originally started in Muay Thai, and then began KK later? If so, at what point in your MT training did you begin incorporating KK, and at what point would you recommend others do it?

Also, did any of you come to KK from other arts besides MT? I've heard of a few silat practitioners doing so, and just wanted to see if that was a common thing.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Krabi Krabong can be learned at any stage or by anyone. If you do indeed have Muay Thai training then of course the attributes and skills you have attained will without a doubt be solidly used to the extreme. The most important adjustment to krabi krabong is in mind set as it is not a sport, "Krabi Krabong is then an excellent tool to understanding the thai approach to fighting as it is based on life and death matters rather than confined to ring victory or defeat."

Aot of people started in other arts like Muay Thai, Kali because there were so few teachers and/or schools to be found. Please be aware also that the buddhai sawan is just one school of krabi krabong and there are other lineages and schools of it most of which are much more combative in approach. The Buddhai Sawan took an open approach to training foreigners and at the time it was one of the few places to go but that has slowly changed. The system itself can be used for ceremonial, meditative and combative usage. It has a full system of self defense, empty hand and weapons training depending on the system and teacher. Krabi Krabong also has a strong spiritual component, military science, etc.

Any of the body's natural nine weapons are inserted at any moment into the weapons work and this is what makes the system a unique, devastating whirlwind. Within the power and speed attacks are the half beat, quarter beat insertions of the kicks, headbutts, hairpulls, etc. This seperates it from other arts. The weapons like sticks would be heavy, blunt objects that would cause heavy trauma and smash into and destroy bone.

I always use this quote to sum up the system because it gets to the very heart of it, " The apparent simplicity on the surface of the art, reflects the underlying emotion inherent in it. That is the quick, economical destruction of the opponent. Bearing in mind that krabi krabong evolved from Thais defending their homeland and not wonton imperialism or inter-tribal conflict. Therefore, at the core of the thai martial arts exists the belief that if fighting must take place, the wholesale destruction of the opponent is warranted--and in the quickest most powerful fashion."

I have written a couple of articles that will appear in the next few months, also the oldest living KK grandmaster of the sitairat school might coming to the East Coast to stay with me and possibly do some seminars. Look for an upcoming National Geographic special that will show the training of the Attamat school of KK which traces it lineage directly to King Naresuan through its teachers lineage.

VGiordano

brokenbonz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
are there different styles/schools of krabi? would you mind listing some names and technical differences?

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, as i said above there are alot of different schools of krabi krabong and many offshoots of the various major schools. For example the buddhai sawan school is an offshoot of the primary Ayutthia school. Many have different functions as well focusing on physical education programs that can be implemented into schools and colleges as a cultural promotion. Some are combative or ceremonial. There are several of the great remaining grandmasters still alive as well. I dont have the time to list them all but if you divide the regions like north, south and central you will come up with major styles. I am completing a book on the topic and literally its a large thing to cover.

blackdiamondcobra

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yes, very common from grade school all the way to college, its considered part of the cultural heritage of the land. Muay Thai is something different that degenerated from a royal sport to a gambling sport for the lower class or poor. Theres a huge history lesson here but I dont have the time for the how and why.

Some people circulate a book around the internet with the old style bare knuckle techs like its the holy grail little do they know its a grade school book used to teach little kids in grade school in their pe class.

Again it all comes down to truly understanding the art and the fabric of which it exists in the native land.

Latest Discussions