Spinning Back kicks.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Defensively used Spinning Back Kick.

YEAH! Love that. The opponent's forward motion just impales them all the harder on the kick. I need to work on getting that kind of height on my back kick, usually I go for the gut instead to try to knock their wind out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I find the spinning back thrust kick aiming at the midsection and ribs more effective than the spinning wheel kick, axe, or hook kick. When applying spinning techniques in sparring can be risk taking because they are blind techniques and when you are executing spinning techniques, you obviously giving you back to you opponent so timing and distancing has to be spot on.

Kurohyou

White Belt
Reaction score
My style is shorei goju ryu karate, and there are many different variations and types of spinning back kicks. The one I find most effective is the spinning rear mule kick. It isn't as telegraphed, and its a bit harder to counter. I can also put a little more power into it.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
My style is shorei goju ryu karate, and there are many different variations and types of spinning back kicks. The one I find most effective is the spinning rear mule kick. It isn't as telegraphed, and its a bit harder to counter. I can also put a little more power into it.
Like most kicks, the best counter is to rush in as soon as the leg moves, or back off and rush in after it lands :)
Both have risks, but ive found it more reliable than trying to block everything.

Kurohyou

White Belt
Reaction score
Like most kicks, the best counter is to rush in as soon as the leg moves, or back off and rush in after it lands :)
Both have risks, but ive found it more reliable than trying to block everything.

I usually use my spin kicks as counters anyway. People almost always fall for it.

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In a real life fight, I prefer executing a spinning back kick towards the mid-section/ribcage. It's more effective that executing a spinning back kick towards the head because you are more likely going to miss your target.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I usually use my spin kicks as counters anyway. People almost always fall for it.
Most people probably see it coming, know what it is, freak out, try to stop and cover and, then get hit. I.e., the reverse of how to avoid a back kicked. :)

Curlykarateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In a fight if a crescent kick or roundhouse is dodged then keeping the spin and throwing an ushiro mawashi-geri can help to keep an opponent away while you regain your balance. Alternatively, you could just be a better kicker than me and not lose your balance if you miss a roundhouse kick

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a fight if a crescent kick or roundhouse is dodged then keeping the spin and throwing an ushiro mawashi-geri can help to keep an opponent away while you regain your balance. Alternatively, you could just be a better kicker than me and not lose your balance if you miss a roundhouse kick

I'd say that throwing a spinning kick when you're already off balance would be a recipe for getting knocked on your butt...

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldnt suggest testing that if i were you. Dont confuse sparring with fighting or anything else.

If you really want to use a back kick, use it as a separate strike. Like... and dont quote me on this, its off the top of my head. Kick > Punch > Punch > Re-enter position > Back Kick. Id still be skeptical about using it in 'fights', but its an improvement over trying to slide into it off a roundhouse :)

Curlykarateka

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
actually it did work, although against inexperienced opponents in a light contact kumite scenario. To make it extra clear I used different legs: I through myself into a roundhouse, missed, placed my foot so my legs were crossed and immediately threw the back kick. The guy didn't come close and was able to smoothly return to a solid stance.
Although the technique worked at what I was trying to do: intimidate my opponent. That said, in a real fight i'd have gotten knocked on my ****. To correct my previous statement spinning back kicks have no place on the street, too slow and easy to avoid by stepping back.

Mauthos

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Although I am an advocate of not using spinning or jumping kicks in a 'street' situation, when sparring I do like to use left leg roundhouse followed by right leg spinning back kick which works very well for me.

I deliberately aim to miss with the roundhouse, but try to get it as close to my opponent as possible. The intention of this is to force my opponent to step back, sway, or slip away from me and I then deliberately land with my left leg crossed in front of my right which some opponents (I hasten to add not all) see this as me losing my balance and over compensating to land, but in reality is setting my next kick up perfectly.

However, hopefully this leads them into a false sense of security and they immediately step, leap or rush forward to try and land an attack on me in my unbalanced state, normally this results in them landing directly onto my right spinning back kick. Great technique which I love.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
in a self defense situation I would not use spinning kicks in general. to much time and to easily jammed if they see it coming, then you have vital structures vulnerable with out ability to protect them. in a real fight, not sparring, i would use front snap kicks maybe a crescent kick, and the only jumping kick I might use in very special circumstances is the jumping front snap kick. My background is in the Okinawan arts, and there is a reason why those are the only kicks in classical kata from Okinawa.

CK1980

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The only time I have ever successfully used a spinning back kick was when someone passed my kick rather than blocking it or taking it. Basically, the pass set me in motion for it already and it was just easier to go with it than to try to stop, reset, and strike again. This was in a sparing class at a new school/system for me and my sparring partners response was "since when does a white belt know how to do a spinning back kick?!" So, that leads me to believe that it only worked because he assumed I didn't know how to execute it. Element of Surprise for the Win :-D

I would generally tend to agree with what the majority of people are saying here though... They are more flash than effective, and they put on a nice show. I like to think of as a more effective unplanned strike than something you want to try to set up.

Latest Discussions