Speed or contol?

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Last night in sparring I noticed an issue I was having. I seem to be having a speed issue when throwing punches and kicks. I can throw them fast but I put to much force behind them and end up rocking the person. If I dial down the force my speed suffers. A guy at my dojo who is a green belt (im a blue belt) seems to have this down, he can throw quick strikes with little power but when I try to match his speed end up hitting him to hard (he doesnt say its to hard but I can feel it). I cant seem to find balance to where I can throw my strikes fast but dont end up putting to much force behind them.

Is there any drill I can work to help me with this? Or does anyone have any other tips to help me out?

Thanks in advance

B

Tetsujin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I knew a guy once in the dojo where I used to train who had a similar problem. He was a good guy, and wasn't trying to be macho or intimidating or anything, but he just couldn't seem to find any middle ground between slow and weak non-fighting and going hard out with little control.

Two tips for you:

i) Impact isn't purely a function of speed and power. It also makes a big difference where you are punching/striking/kicking. A full contact punch will aim to fully focus not just at contact with the target, but will aim to focus with a few centimeters penetration. So just as you can pull your punches so that they don't make contact at all, it is also possible to 'pull' your punches so that they still make contact, but only just. With practice (and control) it should be possible to throw strong and fast punches that only just make contact, and therefore don't make the same kind of impact as a proper full contact technique.

ii) Speed comes from being fully relaxed without tension while throwing the technique. Whereas power comes from fully tensing for just that brief moment at the moment of impact. So you should be able to maintain speed while reducing impact by just reducing the degree to which you tense up at that point of impact. Try working on this in conjunction with the previous point, i.e. work to control both your range, accuracy, and tension/focus, and you should find it easier to strike fast with better control of your techniques.

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I knew a guy once in the dojo where I used to train who had a similar problem. He was a good guy, and wasn't trying to be macho or intimidating or anything, but he just couldn't seem to find any middle ground between slow and weak non-fighting and going hard out with little control.

Two tips for you:

i) Impact isn't purely a function of speed and power. It also makes a big difference where you are punching/striking/kicking. A full contact punch will aim to fully focus not just at contact with the target, but will aim to focus with a few centimeters penetration. So just as you can pull your punches so that they don't make contact at all, it is also possible to 'pull' your punches so that they still make contact, but only just. With practice (and control) it should be possible to throw strong and fast punches that only just make contact, and therefore don't make the same kind of impact as a proper full contact technique.

ii) Speed comes from being fully relaxed without tension while throwing the technique. Whereas power comes from fully tensing for just that brief moment at the moment of impact. So you should be able to maintain speed while reducing impact by just reducing the degree to which you tense up at that point of impact. Try working on this in conjunction with the previous point, i.e. work to control both your range, accuracy, and tension/focus, and you should find it easier to strike fast with better control of your techniques.
Thanks for those tips! I will try them

I noticed it last night will throwing a spinning back kick. I was sparring a 1st degree and when I came around with the kick I hit him in the ABC! He was fine but he told me that my speed was excellent but I need to dial down the power. i was like ok no problem, but when I tried the kicks were slow and predictable not to mention just plain ugly. this problem is more noticable with new material.

again thanks for the help

B

Tetsujin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yeah, with thrusting kicks like side kicks and spinning back kicks it's all about controlling your range. I mean, done properly for full impact you project well past the point of initial contact with your target, so increase your range a bit so as to reduce the impact at full extension. And if you find yourself in a position where you're in closer than you expected, such that completing the kick will really nail your opponent (more than you want to) you can 'pull' it so as to reduce the impact by either not fully extending it or just reducing the tension at impact. (But as a lower belt against a shodan you really shouldn't need to be doing that anyway, unless you find yourself about to kick to an overly sensitive part of his body!)

And it's always easier to do new or difficult techniques faster. Especially kicks. The degree to which you can slow down such techniques and perform them more slowly with good form and balance is usually a good indicator of proficiency with the technique. As your basic technique improves, so will your ability to control your speed, power, and impact.

Good luck to you (and you're welcome). :)

Last edited:

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Last night in sparring I noticed an issue I was having. I seem to be having a speed issue when throwing punches and kicks. I can throw them fast but I put to much force behind them and end up rocking the person. If I dial down the force my speed suffers. A guy at my dojo who is a green belt (im a blue belt) seems to have this down, he can throw quick strikes with little power but when I try to match his speed end up hitting him to hard (he doesnt say its to hard but I can feel it). I cant seem to find balance to where I can throw my strikes fast but dont end up putting to much force behind them.

Is there any drill I can work to help me with this? Or does anyone have any other tips to help me out?

Thanks in advance

B

You could take a focus mitt or kicking shield and work on fast kicks with light contact on the pad. This can be initially done in a static position, gradually adding in some movement.

I would try to keep an equal balance of both. If you get so used to throwing fast strikes with no power, you could resort back to that if you needed to ever throw one where it really needs to count. :)

Mike

Ninebird8

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A couple of hints for you: first, get a sandbag and hang from the ceiling, then practice hitting the light bag to move it but not swing it. Second, when hitting it, hit with an open hand, not a fist to get the speed down. Usually, open hand strikes are faster, closed hand strikes more powerful. Third, use your foot movement more and get in better position to strike and use angles rather than power. Fourth, and most important, have your teacher show you how to hit with speed and power but gradate it with your opponent. One of the signs of a good instructor/master, is the ability to lower his/her skills to a point just above the student he/she is sparring, so the student does not feel overwhelmed or scared but still feels enough pressure and threat to react rather than anticipate.

I have found sandbag training wonderful for this, and it also helps you develop your penetrating power and fa jing.

Just my quarter's worth (inflation and USD devaluation!).

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks in advance

B

one drill is to practice hitting a bag as fast as you can with the right body mechanics for power...but do not move the bag. it will come

respectfully,
marlon

OP
KempoGuy06

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple of hints for you: first, get a sandbag and hang from the ceiling, then practice hitting the light bag to move it but not swing it. Second, when hitting it, hit with an open hand, not a fist to get the speed down. Usually, open hand strikes are faster, closed hand strikes more powerful. Third, use your foot movement more and get in better position to strike and use angles rather than power. Fourth, and most important, have your teacher show you how to hit with speed and power but gradate it with your opponent. One of the signs of a good instructor/master, is the ability to lower his/her skills to a point just above the student he/she is sparring, so the student does not feel overwhelmed or scared but still feels enough pressure and threat to react rather than anticipate.

I have found sandbag training wonderful for this, and it also helps you develop your penetrating power and fa jing.

Just my quarter's worth (inflation and USD devaluation!).

one drill is to practice hitting a bag as fast as you can with the right body mechanics for power...but do not move the bag. it will come

respectfully,
marlon

i will try these next time im in the dojo. Im a big guy and I dont want people to get the wrong impression of me

B