some more opinions wanted

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think white uniforms are impractical on kids, and medium or lightweight ones give the observer a far better view of the wearer's underwear than I like to have. :eek:

White shows dirt too well. I do think that everyone under black belt should have to wear the same uniform (hence the term), but I would go with black--it looks cleaner and thus wears longer, so it's cheaper in the long run.

I chose black for ours too for the same reasons, young and teenage girls as well as older women much, much prefer black Gi bottoms if possible. Black looks every bit as smart as white if not more so. Would recommend it if you can have them.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just want to add that some of our female students have been asking if we could use something different than white for pants. For a number of reasons but i won't get into that.

We may say that black is ok with the white top at our club.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just want to add that some of our female students have been asking if we could use something different than white for pants. For a number of reasons but i won't get into that.

We may say that black is ok with the white top at our club.

I've seen some clubs where they have white tops and black Gi bottoms, looks smart and you can still use the black edges on the tops if you use them.

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I tell them not to buy the cheap/lightweight uniforms. Everyone has the same issue with the 7oz uniform.

rlp271

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm still a fan of the all white uniform, but I grew up in an Okinawan system, trained in a competition oriented WTF system (competitions are white only), and am now currently training in Kyokushin, where they only have white uniforms.

The dojo I grew up in, and still train at when I'm home, allows you to wear black pants from green belt on, which is about 18 months in. Once you reach brown belt, you can wear a full black uniform. Black belts can wear anything they want, but I'm not really for red or blue uniforms. I've seen too many McDojo/McDojang with multi-colored, crazy patched up uniforms for student retention, because everyone is 6-years-old and wants to be a Power Ranger. I do understand the idea behind black pants, and I don't think it is bad at all.

One dojo I trained at had this setup, which I like. White uniforms for everyone up to 2nd degree black belt. At 2nd degree black belt, you could wear black pants. 3rd dan you wore a black top and white pants. 4th dan and above you wear white pants and a white top with black trim.

As far as protective gear goes, I'd say head gear is a must while training for all the reasons mentioned. I like the WKF hand gear more than the regular Century dipped foam. Chest gear I see the point of if you're allowing hard contact. I would personally make shin/instep pads optional. No foot gear. Mouth guard and cup shouldn't even have to be talked about. If you're not wearing those while sparring, I have no idea what you're thinking.

Not much I can say about the side kicks that hasn't already been said. I'll just add an ouch, my knees hurt thinking about it already.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
White is smart but can restrict training for women. Practicabilty should win over tradition I think.
Only our children wear headguards and shin guards, our adults fight full contact so not for them. Gum shields and groin guards for all though when fighting, optional when sparring in club though they tend only to go without once lol!

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Colored uniforms on students -
I'm pretty traditional. Students wear white. All BB wear white w/black collar. As far as getting them, I get them from my parent school in NY, so I can't help you there. I do however, agree with your opinion of Century.

Colored uniforms on instructors - I only wear white or black... I think that if you earned the black belt you earned the right to ear whatever color you want.
Assistant Instructors used to were blue, but I stopped that. In large classes it made sense. In small classes like mine, it's not necessary. I wear the same white with black trim as the other black belts. Most schools I've seen share your opinion.

Side kick - Some how, these kids were taught how to throw a side kick without pivoting the standing leg and getting the hip rotation. They were also taught to swing the foot backwards like a pendulem as they chamber. I can't even do it, totally screwed up. I preach it over and over, I point out when they get it wrong. I'd about to the point that i'm just going to say 'no pivot = push ups'. We go up and down the line, we work with each kids one on one. We do 4 count kicks. Anyone have any tips that they do with the kids that work?
I do 4 count kicks also. It's a very difficult kick to learn correctly, and an easy one to develop bad habits in if not practiced regularly. I suppose my only difference from you is, while I may start with the whole class doing 4 counts, I don't continue it. I work with them individually. (not always possible, I know) I don't use walls, but I will stand with a student for support if necessary through the motion. Only thing I would suggest is, repetition. Remember, practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. If you have too many doing something incorrectly, stop. Don't teach anything more than you can teach effectively. Take them on in smaller groups or individually and let the rest train under another instructors supervision.

Sparring gear - Mouthguard/cup must have, gloves/feet to spar other students, headgear under 18. No chest protectors required. I've never used one. Are they really worth the extra money?
Yes, they are. Head gear and chest protectors are required always. If anything, head gear is more important over 18. I don't have any students over 18 that don't have knock out power to the head. Even in light contact, mistakes happen. The potential for head injuries just isn't worth it. Chest protectors, absolutely. My first knockout ever was a body shot...and that was with a chest protector. If nothing else, they do take some getting used to. If your students compete and aren't used to the "feel", the competition mat isn't the place to learn.

Regards,

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Mouthguard and cup SHOULDN'T have to be made a rule, but any of us that have taught for any length of time has dealt with students that have zero common sense and would think those items optional. It's not when one of the BB is 4'10 and she has already broken one cup with her side kick. Then again, if you don't want more kids...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mouthguard and cup SHOULDN'T have to be made a rule, but any of us that have taught for any length of time has dealt with students that have zero common sense and would think those items optional. It's not when one of the BB is 4'10 and she has already broken one cup with her side kick. Then again, if you don't want more kids...

Good girl!

Our guys wear the metal Muay Thai cups, very good until you need to get to the toilet very quickly, they have long strings on them instead of elastic so get tied up with knots, well I'll leave the rest to the imagination lol! The cups themself though are indestructable and are recommended.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ok, these things are prolly covered in threads somewhere else, but I'll just combine the things I'm interested in hearing your take on into 1 thread. I only have the opinion of my 4 1st degrees, would like to know what others think. A lot have to do with various habits I'm having to break.

Colored uniforms on students - The last main instructor didn't care what color they wore. The head instructor came back and saw students wearing red and black (a green and a yellow belt) and was on the fence, color of your uniform doesn't mean anything, just color of belt. I flat out banned anything other than white. I let the students that already had colored uniforms keep wearing theirs, so they didn't have to incur the cost of a new uniform. Century is greedy.
Traditionally, taekwondo doboks are white. If you are going to use a different color, make sure that everyone is wearing the same color. Especially with kids. You do not want arguements about why kid X gets to wear red and kid Z gets to wear blue. Keep all students the same.

Also, unless you are an independent, your organization likely either stipulates or has a preferred dobok. If you are part of a larger organization, you should use the dobok associated with said org.

No comment on Century. I use Dynamics http://dynamicsworld.com/.

Colored uniforms on instructors - I only wear white or black. I have one instructor in a blue/black 'team' uniform, and another that wears red with black stripes. I think that if you earned the black belt you earned the right to ear whatever color you want
Once again, there are colors and doboks that are traditionally associated with taekwondo in general and with different organizations specifically. Unless you have some very good reason for doing so, I would adhere to the norms of your organization. Again, if you are independent, then this is not an issue, but I would suggest having all of the instructors in the same dobok, whatever color you happen to choose. I know that some schools put instructors in black, assistant instructors in red, and students in white. That is fine too, so long as people in each role are in the same color.

Side kick - Some how, these kids were taught how to throw a side kick without pivoting the standing leg and getting the hip rotation. They were also taught to swing the foot backwards like a pendulem as they chamber.
Huh???

I can't even do it, totally screwed up. I preach it over and over, I point out when they get it wrong. I'd about to the point that i'm just going to say 'no pivot = push ups'. We go up and down the line, we work with each kids one on one. We do 4 count kicks. Anyone have any tips that they do with the kids that work?
Retrain them and don't pass them to the next belt until they can do the kick correctly. New students coming in should be learning the kick with the pivot, so the old way should simply die of attrition. I would reserve pushups for respect or behavioural issue.

Sparring gear - Mouthguard/cup must have, gloves/feet to spar other students, headgear under 18. No chest protectors required. I've never used one. Are they really worth the extra money?
Are you sparring under WTF rules, ITF rules, or something else? WTF and ATA are the only ones who use the hogu to my knowledge. Everyone else is headgear, gloves, and some kind of foot protectors. Mouthpieces should be required for everyone and cup should be required for the boys. Hogu should only be required if you are WTF.

Best wishes to you!

Daniel

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It was agreed upon the day I took over that none of the advanced belts inherited will be testing for a LONG time. I have a purple belt dying to test, so we invited him to a 1/2 hour private workout. We were honest with him, he's not close.

Latest Discussions