TKD as a P.E. class

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Looks like the U.K. is taking a page from Korea's book. They seem to be trying to get TKD as a P.E. class or extra curricular activity.

[yt]KZP0CfLztTM[/yt]

Maybe something the U.S. should look at too?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the idea as a PE class. Maybe an extracurricular class, like other sports. I also think it would be cool to see Wushu in that category as well, like many eastern countries have.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not sure I like the idea as a PE class. Maybe an extracurricular class, like other sports. I also think it would be cool to see Wushu in that category as well, like many eastern countries have.
American Kenpo maybe, but TKD? ...LOL..:mst: I guess I reside on both sides of the fence. The pros are obvious, but there are cons that need to be addressed.
Sean

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tried several times.... School Board thought it was too aggressive and the contact sport could result in lawsuits....

Go figure,

but Football or Wrestling have no aggressive behavior or contact....

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
I tried several times.... School Board thought it was too aggressive and the contact sport could result in lawsuits....

Go figure,

but Football or Wrestling have no aggressive behavior or contact....
Yeah but from Mango Man's post it seems that some schools are doing it here in the US. But I wonder to what extent. Are those schools competing against other schools or are they just using it like a normal class with no competition vs. other schools.

rip_dorey

White Belt
Reaction score
TKD during P.E. class is a horroble idea. Forcing kids who want to play PlayStation to train? It didn't work out in Korea, it won't work out anywhere...

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I managed to get it into the public middle school I work at for 2 years in a row as a weekly "club" that was held during school hours. The catch was I wouldn't allow any contact between the students due to liability and I couldn't call it "martial arts" (due to parental and liability issues). I called it the "cardio defense club" and focused on stretching, stances, shield work, history, and culture. The first year was a massive success, but the 2nd year did not go well because instead of weekly, it was monthly and irregular on when it was going to be.
I decided to test and promote almost all of the first year group to yellow belt and it was a ton of fun. We couldn't really cover proper self-defense, but I felt that group worked so hard that it deserved some big type of recognition. Combine that to the fact that this school is in one of the poorest areas of the state and this was going to be the only exposure to martial arts these kids would ever get to be a part of.
It was immensely rewarding to me.

AoG

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife's aikido school is accepted as a means of obtaining PE credit at the local school district. The kids attend the normal classes outside of school.

It's probably more hassle than it is worth with the record keeping requirements. We've never had more than 1 or 2 kids doing it at any given point.

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm sure I would have enjoyed TKD in PE more than I enjoyed the square dancing we did. Gym teacher probably thought it was hillarious. Actually, the square dancing was kind of fun, but tell anyone I said that!

:)

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It was done in Tulsa in the late 80's early 90's. It was a great feeder class into the actual school. In North Dakota, Randy Waitman succeeded in getting TKD a letter sport.

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
Also, I am invited in by our 2 coaches to show martial arts stretches, kicks, and punches to the boys and girls PE classes at the end of the year.

If stickarts is reading this, I handed out 28 inch pvc pipes to the girls 7th and 8th grade PE class and showed basic arnis strikes and drills 2 days in a row.

AoG

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well my son just told me that his school has a Karate class you can take after school. But he said it is not good. He said he is already better than the person teaching it. I will have to ask him more about it. If there is any contact vs. others or if it is just punching and kicking air with some kata and stretches toss in.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well my son just told me that his school has a Karate class you can take after school. But he said it is not good. He said he is already better than the person teaching it. I will have to ask him more about it. If there is any contact vs. others or if it is just punching and kicking air with some kata and stretches toss in.
There is a problem right there. Is the instruction credible. Any fool can talk their way into being a TKD coach at a school. Who gets to decide if that person is just a good talker?
Sean

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My wife's aikido school is accepted as a means of obtaining PE credit at the local school district. The kids attend the normal classes outside of school.

It's probably more hassle than it is worth with the record keeping requirements. We've never had more than 1 or 2 kids doing it at any given point.

For home schoolers or regular students?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I took Shotokan in high school because my school had the same thing. Teaching was decent as I recall.

TKD could be done as a PE class pretty easilly. If contact is an issue, just stick to kicking and punching drills (both in the air and with the heavy bag), forms, and one steps. Yes, it would be a truncated class, but it would give the kids a good striing foundation which would serve them well if they choose to take taekwondo outside of school.

Oh yes, they'll burn a lot of callories too.

Daniel

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate this idea. Taekwondo is a martial art...not a martial sport...it's an art. It is (IMO) intended to be all encompassing and continuous. It is a life experience not intended to be measured by semester.

Taekwondo as an art, like other martial arts, it's not something that can be taught part time or for a limited duration with any success, only diluted. I realize I'm definately in the minority with that thought process but if you can't finish what you start, don't start. I've met too many individuals that have learned all the "martial" aspect, and little if any of the "art" aspect, which more often than not, proves less than ideal. The mentality that supports the art is all to often absent.

There's plenty of sports to choose from that serve the purpose of excercise and competition. Offer one of those.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hate this idea. Taekwondo is a martial art...not a martial sport...it's an art. It is (IMO) intended to be all encompassing and continuous. It is a life experience not intended to be measured by semester.

Taekwondo as an art, like other martial arts, it's not something that can be taught part time or for a limited duration with any success, only diluted. I realize I'm definately in the minority with that thought process but if you can't finish what you start, don't start. I've met too many individuals that have learned all the "martial" aspect, and little if any of the "art" aspect, which more often than not, proves less than ideal. The mentality that supports the art is all to often absent.

There's plenty of sports to choose from that serve the purpose of excercise and competition. Offer one of those.
Actually, taekwondo is both art and sport. Taekwondo is the national sport of Korea and an olympic sport, so saying that it is not a sport is not really accurate.

Nor is it accurate to say that taekwondo is all encompassing. No art really is, though I will agree that taekwondo as an MA is extremely comprehensive.

Daniel

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Actually, taekwondo is both art and sport. Taekwondo is the national sport of Korea and an olympic sport, so saying that it is not a sport is not really accurate.

Nor is it accurate to say that taekwondo is all encompassing. No art really is, though I will agree that taekwondo as an MA is extremely comprehensive.

Daniel
I guess it's a matter of how we each look at it, Daniel. But to your point, allow me to rephrase my initial statement.

For the purpose of this discussion, let's not confuse Korea's interpretation of Taekwondo with ours. It's apples and oranges.

Taekwondo is a martial art that has a sport aspect, which is what you see in the Olympics. To say that it accuratly representents Taekwondo is highly inaccurate. It's only a small part of what the art is all about which just happens to be the most visible. To learn only that small aspect without understanding the concept of the art is a mistake. By all emcompassing, I'm referring to the mind set that supports the art which can be applied to just about every aspect of your life. It's not a religion, it's a dedication. It's a commitment to oneself. To me, it is, and always should be taught in that manner. That takes a lifetime. How much can anyone hope to absorb in a predetermined school term. The last thing we need is another vehicle to help dilute Taekwondo or any other art for that matter.

Regards,

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I was offer do TKD as a PE credit for several charter schools starting in January. I am currently doing it as a afterschool club but it has been so succesful that they believe it should be available to all students that wish to take it, so I am getting that chance. I believe it can only be a positive class for alot of these kids.

Latest Discussions