So what does everyone think about Simone Biles withdrawing from the Olympics due to her mental health issues?

OP
C

Chrisinmd

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Why in the world would anyone be remotely qualified to offer an opinion on this amazing athlete. You live her life and then "offer your opinion." How about practicing instead of starting a dumb thread?
Oh so you want to be an "A hole"! If your to busy "practicing" dont bother responding to the thread. By the number of people posting in this thread everyone else found it to be an interesting discussion

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dunno.

At 18 years old, Biles turned down a college scholarship to turn professional and recieved 2 million dollars in endorsement deals. She went to her first Olympics the next year.

Sounds like she took a pretty good career route.
Firstly, that's likely an exceptional case, since she's an exceptionpal athlete (even among the exceptional athletes).

Gaucho

Orange Belt
Reaction score
While it sucks she had to pull out....she still probably made millions in endorsement deals prior to it....so I don't feel too bad for her....lol.
I know nothing of Biles or her problem - which some describe as merely an 'issue' - but I doubt that she will suffer losses of endorsement deals; in fact, if anything the advertisers are more likely to want to do business with her now. Many of the Olympic TV ads I have seen are selling feelgoodism and have nothing to do with the products which the companies produce and sell. Such is today's zeitgeist.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
True enough, but life is a lot easier when you have money and problems than when you have no money and problems.

I know everybody says money can't buy happiness

But it could buy me a boat
It could buy me a truck to pull it
It could buy me a Yeti 110 iced down with some silver bullets
Yeah, and I know what they say, money can't buy everything
Well, maybe so
But it could buy me a boat

Great...now I have that song stuck in my head...lol

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True enough, but life is a lot easier when you have money and problems than when you have no money and problems.

Only if you don't have mental health problems, they can prevent you enjoying what you have, can prevent you from getting help, can alienate friends and family, leaving you with .money in the bank and nothing else.

I've seen too many veterans now who have lives destroyed by mental health issues due to trauma. Money does nothing for them, sadly.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only if you don't have mental health problems, they can prevent you enjoying what you have, can prevent you from getting help, can alienate friends and family, leaving you with .money in the bank and nothing else.

I've seen too many veterans now who have lives destroyed by mental health issues due to trauma. Money does nothing for them, sadly.
And even then, having money makes it easier to get help.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish I had not read this thread.

Money doesn't really do a lot for you when you break your neck.
Somewhere in this story a different gymnast popped up (and weighed in). A case of the twisties left her paralyzed, possibly forever.

Then Kerry Strug popped up.
And her 'courageous vault' on a severely sprained ankle
A different view, a small girl being bullied to perform on command.
Karoli and Nasser in the picture (literally)
How is her leg these days?

Simone Biles did something - and many people hate her for it - that should set a marker for future athletes. She set her boundaries, and looked out for herself first.
Women are not expected to do this.
Or rather it is disliked when they do that.
When they show agency of their own. The difference between Strug wrecking her ankle and Biles stepping away.

They don't belong to anybody.
We are not going to pay their medical bills.
Or take care of them.

Biles removed herself from being a pawn.
And yes, the racial thing plays in as well. Big time.

I had the twisties before.
I was just not 10 feet in the air, but driving a familiar stretch of road in the dark and wondered where I was. A second, two perhaps. No harm done, just stay on the hard top.

I can't imagine that happening when inverted in the middle of a million degree somersault.

She helped to get her team qualified (with basically both arms tied behind her back, scoring wise)
And a couple of the other women medaled.

That is leadership under fire.

Money can help with a lot of things, true.
But it also can exaggerate a lot of other problems.
Like envy and petty from strangers when you have a problem money can't fix.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And even then, having money makes it easier to get help.

It doesn't help actually, because in depression for example you can get so bad you don't get out of bed, you don't wash, eat or basically do anything even go to the toilet because your illness doesn't allow it. To get help, whether paid for or not, requires you to be in control of yourself enough to recognise you need help. Often mental illness means you aren't in control so what use is money?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I wish I had not read this thread.

Money doesn't really do a lot for you when you break your neck.
Somewhere in this story a different gymnast popped up (and weighed in). A case of the twisties left her paralyzed, possibly forever.

Then Kerry Strug popped up.
And her 'courageous vault' on a severely sprained ankle
A different view, a small girl being bullied to perform on command.
Karoli and Nasser in the picture (literally)
How is her leg these days?

Simone Biles did something - and many people hate her for it - that should set a marker for future athletes. She set her boundaries, and looked out for herself first.
Women are not expected to do this.
Or rather it is disliked when they do that.
When they show agency of their own. The difference between Strug wrecking her ankle and Biles stepping away.

They don't belong to anybody.
We are not going to pay their medical bills.
Or take care of them.

Biles removed herself from being a pawn.
And yes, the racial thing plays in as well. Big time.

I had the twisties before.
I was just not 10 feet in the air, but driving a familiar stretch of road in the dark and wondered where I was. A second, two perhaps. No harm done, just stay on the hard top.

I can't imagine that happening when inverted in the middle of a million degree somersault.

She helped to get her team qualified (with basically both arms tied behind her back, scoring wise)
And a couple of the other women medaled.

That is leadership under fire.

Money can help with a lot of things, true.
But it also can exaggerate a lot of other problems.
Like envy and petty from strangers when you have a problem money can't fix.
This is more my thoughts. A very big women stepped aside because she saw the bigger picture. Damn strong person in my opinion.
And she still accomplished a goal I imagine was on her checklist (most medals).
I also wonder if there was not a degree of silent protest for the unfair scoring against her.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is more my thoughts. A very big women stepped aside because she saw the bigger picture. Damn strong person in my opinion.
And she still accomplished a goal I imagine was on her checklist (most medals).
I also wonder if there was not a degree of silent protest for the unfair scoring against her.
I am sure the unfairness of the scoring also weighed in.

The Olympics are supposed to be 'Bring all you got, hope you brung enough'
She could have just said, "I sprained something'
Using her platform of recognition to bring light to issues is a hallmark few have.
(and in light of her issues there is talk about the problems with the vaulting competition, while the athletes wait, they cool down and then are asked to perform at their best. We know how bad that can end and most of us go not go airborne.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am sure the unfairness of the scoring also weighed in.

The Olympics are supposed to be 'Bring all you got, hope you brung enough'
She could have just said, "I sprained something'
Using her platform of recognition to bring light to issues is a hallmark few have.
(and in light of her issues there is talk about the problems with the vaulting competition, while the athletes wait, they cool down and then are asked to perform at their best. We know how bad that can end and most of us go not go airborne.
Yeah I was blown away by just how very little warmup time the gymnasts get! Like they can do stuff away from the apparatus, but they get such little time of warmup with the actual apparatus. So bizarre... with the extreme hyper mobility and explosiveness they need to do in their routine I'm amazed there aren't more injuries...

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah I was blown away by just how very little warmup time the gymnasts get! Like they can do stuff away from the apparatus, but they get such little time of warmup with the actual apparatus. So bizarre... with the extreme hyper mobility and explosiveness they need to do in their routine I'm amazed there aren't more injuries...
I have a different view. Those kids have been practicing with the apparatus' for years, some most of their life. It is truly an extension of their body, so much so that familiarity is literally natural. The factors around being in the competition spectrum is more likely to cause the jitters or yips; that is a part of the mental component. The media pressure alone would be immense to me. I personally would struggle with blocking out all the external stuff they have to deal with more than needing to warm up on the apparatus.

I very much compare it to the common goal we have in martial arts. We practice and practice and practice until the movement, and reaction when necessary, is automatic and natural. Especially when holding weapon (our 'apparatus').

When I was at the nationals & trials, I remember having to calm myself over and over and remind myself it is just part of the 'job'. Just do the work the way you have trained to do it. Do your job.
Making the things around the big moments less of a stressor helped greatly.
For me, feeling the pressure of failure was never an issue. Feeling like I did not give my best, no matter what the result, was.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have a different view. Those kids have been practicing with the apparatus' for years, some most of their life. It is truly an extension of their body, so much so that familiarity is literally natural. The factors around being in the competition spectrum is more likely to cause the jitters or yips; that is a part of the mental component. The media pressure alone would be immense to me. I personally would struggle with blocking out all the external stuff they have to deal with more than needing to warm up on the apparatus.

I very much compare it to the common goal we have in martial arts. We practice and practice and practice until the movement, and reaction when necessary, is automatic and natural. Especially when holding weapon (our 'apparatus').

When I was at the nationals & trials, I remember having to calm myself over and over and remind myself it is just part of the 'job'. Just do the work the way you have trained to do it. Do your job.
Making the things around the big moments less of a stressor helped greatly.
For me, feeling the pressure of failure was never an issue. Feeling like I did not give my best, no matter what the result, was.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, this is a matter of the physiology.
you sit around you cool down.
It is a concern in MLB when an inning lasts too long.
But pitchers have the option to go someplace and throw to stay loose.
And the worst they can do is throw their arm out (for good)

Knowing better means we should do better.
These athletes aren't robots.

and yes, a lot of the vault is mental.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, this is a matter of the physiology.
you sit around you cool down.
It is a concern in MLB when an inning lasts too long.
But pitchers have the option to go someplace and throw to stay loose.
And the worst they can do is throw their arm out (for good)

Knowing better means we should do better.
These athletes aren't robots.

and yes, a lot of the vault is mental.
But just like a pitcher warming up in the dugout with 3/4 speed pitches the gymnast are hopefully able to stay warm on the sidelines in some form or fashion.
I suppose robot is a strong term but there are robotic mannerisms to their level of performance. Repeatability is a huge deal for them. Nothing is better at repetitive motion than a robot.

Is there zero form of warming up on the sidelines for gymnasts? I honestly do not know.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just like each stick or blade is a little different, the apparatus are all a little different. And they change over the course of an event, too. Chalk builds up, they're not placed in exactly the same place between different events, cable stretch... And then, at the finals, they're not even given a chance to touch the equipment briefly, at least as I recall the coverage. It's a big deal...

Latest Discussions