So what does everyone think about Simone Biles withdrawing from the Olympics due to her mental health issues?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
aaannnddd apparently there is an even bigger problem with gymnastics.
their efforts to rebuild after Rio and the Nasser thing seem to be falling drastically short.
And the current head coach pretty much assumed that he needed nobody but Biles to win gold.
No wonder it was a crisis when she pulled out.
Maybe they get their stuff sorted now.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
their efforts to rebuild after Rio and the Nasser thing seem to be falling drastically short.
And the current head coach pretty much assumed that he needed nobody but Biles to win gold.

The judges had said before the competition started they would mark Biles down citing 'she can do techniques others can't do we can't mark her up' as the reason. 😕 Her team wouldn't have won anything if she'd been in it. Madness.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Is that so? I don't know about the crisis stuff, but didn't the women's gymnastics team do very well? I read that every one of them received a medal of some kind, and I thought I saw a USA athlete win the all-around. Do you have a link to an article or something?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Is that so? I don't know about the crisis stuff, but didn't the women's gymnastics team do very well? I read that every one of them received a medal of some kind, and I thought I saw a USA athlete win the all-around. Do you have a link to an article or something?
the women did very well, sure, but before Biles bowed out there was no pressure on the rest of the team. All eyes were on Biles, and the coach all but said 'it doesn't matter who else is on the team'
They stepped up in a grand way, true.
It seems a failure as a coach through to prepare them for the competition - mentally - and to rely on one egg alone (and not support her mentally)

It is a grander picture, if I find the article again, I shall link it.
Considering the circumstances it was a great testament to the women in the sport that after the problems that were uncovered after Rio they even had a team.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
the women did very well, sure, but before Biles bowed out there was no pressure on the rest of the team. All eyes were on Biles, and the coach all but said 'it doesn't matter who else is on the team'
They stepped up in a grand way, true.
It seems a failure as a coach through to prepare them for the competition - mentally - and to rely on one egg alone (and not support her mentally)

It is a grander picture, if I find the article again, I shall link it.
Considering the circumstances it was a great testament to the women in the sport that after the problems that were uncovered after Rio they even had a team.
Yeah, I'm interested in reading more about this, because the women seemed to do very well, which I wouldn't have expected if they weren't well prepared.

Latest Discussions