SKK Combos

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
11:30 or 12:00 it's only a half hour, maybe you are faster than I am. lol. The thrust punch prevents him from falling towards you as you step around his back. It seems to work really well.

well perhaps my watch is a little slower than yours. :) I like him falling into my right elbow as i step behind him so i would not want to stop him with a thrust the way i was taught

respectfully,
marlon

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
sound like a variation of 35. i could not post for a while...time constrainst and now my next combo is 57, 59, 60, 63,68, 69, 73, 74, 93... so i wait.

respectfully,
marlon

Sorry...not a version of 35 as far as I know.

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ok here is my issue with #1
when you step back and block and shuffle in with the second punch comeing in at you. YOU get hit.

so I took this comb and added natural law to it.

first you never want to move backwards to move forwards.

with this mind. as the punch comes in step forward with your right foot avoiding the punch (by shifting your center) and deliver a back hand strike to the side of the attackers head.

as he feels this blow you then follow threw with a right strike to the attackes jaw as your left hand swings under the attackers right elbow area.. (Wrapping it or him up) shifting there body from a 90 degree to a 45 degree you shift there center and take them to the ground. finish the teq. as you have it...

the key here is as you hit there head jaw you shift your hand threw on a 45 degree angle moveing there head back and to the right...

I can show you, but some times it is hard to write. as I am still healing from surgery...

thanks,
steve

I think this is a great idear to break down all comb...

I know Im late in joining this thread but my take on # 1 combo... Why can't the right claw hand comming across with the strike to the face be a claw/palm block instead. This way you can tie up both arms and still be able to strike back into the face/nose with the crane wrist and and follow through with the tigers-mouth-throw. Now you have a way to deal with both punches and not even change the flow or hand postures of the technique. Good thing about an authentic art...if it ain't broke don't fix it.
I apologize if someone has already made this point.

~Cg~

graychuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know Im late in joining this thread but my take on # 1 combo... Why can't the right claw hand comming across with the strike to the face be a claw/palm block instead. This way you can tie up both arms and still be able to strike back into the face/nose with the crane wrist and and follow through with the tigers-mouth-throw. Now you have a way to deal with both punches and not even change the flow or hand postures of the technique. Good thing about an authentic art...if it ain't broke don't fix it.

~Cg~

To follow up with Koshos post, I also understand your point in moving forward. That sounds like a statement a skilled martial artist would make. As one developes more skill and experience... all of the applications become more streamlined and powerful. The better your skills are the less time you spend running away or moving back. Kinda like in tha movie 'The Professional' when the assassin said something like,' In the beginning you keep your distance but as you get better you will get closer to your targets'.

~Cg~

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
To follow up with Koshos post, I also understand your point in moving forward. That sounds like a statement a skilled martial artist would make. As one developes more skill and experience... all of the applications become more streamlined and powerful. The better your skills are the less time you spend running away or moving back. Kinda like in tha movie 'The Professional' when the assassin said something like,' In the beginning you keep your distance but as you get better you will get closer to your targets'.

~Cg~

Both ideas have validity. However i do my 1 a little different. Instead of stepping back to 6:00 i sink into a cat stance more at 5:00. The monkey block is not a hard hit, rather it is a draw (as is sinkinginto a cat stance towards 5:00). I do not really 'step' forward so much as shift to a forward stance facing10:00 or so cutting a diagnol line of attack through the opponent (8 directions). as the left hand moves from the monkey block to the facila rake and the arm wrap it covers my center line and my right hand is on guard. my stance shift moves the attacker's center unbalancing him or her for all that follows. Of course distance and timing are very important. (but that is why we train) done this way the technique requires little strength and produces a more dramatic effect than some other ways.

just some thouhgts. Thanks guys for sharing. hopefully we will meet at some event again and get some physical training done. I enjoy learning other perspectives.
Jesse!! You guys always seem to train after i have retired. Next time let me know!!!....please :)

Respectfully,
Marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
just some thouhgts. Thanks guys for sharing. hopefully we will meet at some event again and get some physical training done. I enjoy learning other perspectives.
Jesse!! You guys always seem to train after i have retired. Next time let me know!!!....please :)

Respectfully,
Marlon

My opinion is, dont go to bed.. eventually martial artists will do what they do best. Nothing better than working your balance at 4am. See you soon i hope. Prof. I. is coming and doing a seminar at my school next tuesday. Last minute thing.
Jesse

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
the break i have is of the arm with an axe kick and an shifting of the legs. The thing aboiut this technique is the timing of the stop kick to the knee must be immediately followed with the palm strikes to the arm (at wrist and elbow)for the trap to work otherwise it is unrrealistic to think you can grab an arm out of the air.

it is nice but very similar to 69

respectfull,
marlon

Hello Marlon, I have 52 as a version of 16, but starting left front kick instead of right. Is that your version of 52 also and if not is your version of 69 like that?

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Marlon, I have 52 as a version of 16, but starting left front kick instead of right. Is that your version of 52 also and if not is your version of 69 like that?

i do not have 52. and the 69 i have starts almost exactly like 16. the change begins with the way you manipulate the arm. 16 more traditional leverage at the elbow and 69 bend at the elbow for more of a shoulder control and take down.
Good to hear from you again!

Respectfully,
Marlon

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this was covered before so I will throw it out there just in case.

Techniques should be looked at from at least two points of view -
Principle(s) or theory(ies) of the technique. Movements of the technique.

I.E. Use DM 3 off a cross hand wrist grab and you can use most of same movements as in the front punch version, but you will do away with the principle of hitting the opponent while the energy is unchecked(no block and opponent's energy still gowing forward).

Step toward 10:30 and dodge a double throat choke then deliver an inverted hammer to groin and you are applying the principle of hitting the opponent while they continue without using the same strikes as DM 3.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
we do not step directly back but to 5:00.
Respectfully,
marlon

I like the idea of not stepping directly to 6:00 when drawing back. When you do DMs that pull back and then go to the opponents outside do you go to 7:00 or are you also using 5:00 on those as well.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like the idea of not stepping directly to 6:00 when drawing back. When you do DMs that pull back and then go to the opponents outside do you go to 7:00 or are you also using 5:00 on those as well.

Mostly yes, however, it depends on what the concept is with the technique. 36 draws back in order to facilitate the person running into the palm strike so i go back to 12:00. but mostly i do not step back to 12:00 while sinking into a cat stance

Respectfully,
Marlon

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score

~Cg~
I was taught to the opening of hansuki (right blockiing hand / left clawing hand)...
Now...my openning is totatlly different.
I block with a right cross sword and poke with a left sword to the throat,the right hand does a driving sword to their right eye then the left hand circles ccw rakes the face encircling the arm and finish as usual....

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
BTW i do not consider the kick in 35 or 5 to be moving back in any sense of the idea...if done properly the other strikes should move the person away from you if you do not grab them and then you might even have to shuffle in...it is a problem when we practice without contact that some techniques can be seen ...differently.The dropping knife hand to the arm as you move back into a cat stance in 23 is an example of limb destruction . If you cannot fight while moving backwards give it a try..it is an excellent tactic to draw an opponent in or feign weakness where there is none.

Respectfully,
marlon

I know what your saying here. I don't practice these two techniques as hitting while moving away either, but if I am understanding kempo 14 correctly if the opponent is too far away for the side kick you can still throw the side kick prior to the cross out. This just makes the side kick a safety messure since you were going to cross out anyway you use the sidekick to "clear out" the area to insure the opponent doesn't charge in at the beginning of your cross out. I am not saying the theory is on 5 or 35, but it could be if the opponent was moved out range on the strike just prior to the sidekick.

The simpleist version of what I am talking about is to throw a backfist while crossing away from an opponent. the opponent is out of range yet they potential get hit if they charge. Yes the energy is not maximized, but it isn't designed to hit with max power it is only designed to hit the person if they charge. The big diffference in thought of technique is that you throw an attack without your opponent being in range.

I like the theory, but certainly to each their own.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I know what your saying here. I don't practice these two techniques as hitting while moving away either, but if I am understanding kempo 14 correctly if the opponent is too far away for the side kick you can still throw the side kick prior to the cross out. This just makes the side kick a safety messure since you were going to cross out anyway you use the sidekick to "clear out" the area to insure the opponent doesn't charge in at the beginning of your cross out. I am not saying the theory is on 5 or 35, but it could be if the opponent was moved out range on the strike just prior to the sidekick.

The simpleist version of what I am talking about is to throw a backfist while crossing away from an opponent. the opponent is out of range yet they potential get hit if they charge. Yes the energy is not maximized, but it isn't designed to hit with max power it is only designed to hit the person if they charge. The big diffference in thought of technique is that you throw an attack without your opponent being in range.

I like the theory, but certainly to each their own.

interesting take on 14. I usually jump to 4:30 and kick...sort of get out of the way and hit hard...while coming down.

marlon

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
interesting take on 14. I usually jump to 4:30 and kick...sort of get out of the way and hit hard...while coming down.

marlon
Very similar to mine...same step & kick...my first kick (left) strikes the knee, the second kick stabs upward toward the groin the third kick hits the mid section..( the second & third are off the right leg).

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Very similar to mine...same step & kick...my first kick (left) strikes the knee, the second kick stabs upward toward the groin the third kick hits the mid section..( the second & third are off the right leg).

are we speaking of 14 here or another combo?

marlon

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score

Jeff,
Have you ever thought about just calling your tech. something else? Some of your combos have changed drastically (to the better in the ones I have seen) Why not call it something else?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do our #14 what I consider the traditional way, scissor kick. Then we have a #14B that is modified to keep the feet on the floor.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Jeff,
Have you ever thought about just calling your tech. something else? Some of your combos have changed drastically (to the better in the ones I have seen) Why not call it something else?
Pretty much I keep the same numbering sequence I was taught...I do however teach/show the evolution of each technique as it has changed over the years....To start changing my numberings now would only confuse me...and at my age :{ I want to keep or make things simpler....

Latest Discussions