SKK Combos

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
My 44 uses the left foot forward also though the block is a #3 with thrust punch...Timing here on the block is critical or you"ll walk into the punch....First strike is off the r/hand: backfist face followed by rolling backfists L/R/L The last one becomes ready for the crosshand sword to the throat as the L/foot sweeps the leg, we step back followinig them to the ground as they fall delivering a crushing R/elbow to the sternum followed by the same hand snapping a backfist to the side of their face.

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
My 44 uses the left foot forward also though the block is a #3 with thrust punch...Timing here on the block is critical or you"ll walk into the punch....First strike is off the r/hand: backfist face followed by rolling backfists L/R/L The last one becomes ready for the crosshand sword to the throat as the L/foot sweeps the leg, we step back followinig them to the ground as they fall delivering a crushing R/elbow to the sternum followed by the same hand snapping a backfist to the side of their face.

This is mind boggling to me...how do you do this? It seems that with the left foot forward the logical block would be a 4 block. You're on the outside of the punch with the left leg checking their right knee. The other way with a 3 block is mind boggling. Is this punch getting redirected into you? You're still on the outside of their leg, right?

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
yes still on the outside....you have to have a very fast block...This is a technique that ensures you have control of the punch before moving for the strike. Try it... As far as foot placement, realistically once you start striking him he's going to react with his footwork. I try to ensure I follow up with my footwrk to ensure I can make the techniques work...

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
#45:
Step L/foot 10:30, L/crossing palm block, R/inverted palm to temple. Left side palm to their R/kidney/side of ribs, R/snap heel kick to knee joint (return the foot to a R/rearfoot position) buckling them ccw 90d. Deliver a Spinning R/back kick to their spine. Spin out on guard...

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
#45:
Step L/foot 10:30, L/crossing palm block, R/inverted palm to temple. Left side palm to their R/kidney/side of ribs, R/snap heel kick to knee joint (return the foot to a R/rearfoot position) buckling them ccw 90d. Deliver a Spinning R/back kick to their spine. Spin out on guard...

That doesn't sound like my 45 at all. I have 45 coming in off a left handed punch. Step in with the left foot to the outside of their stance while doing a left downward knife block. As you step with the right foot, you execute a simultaneous right crosshand shuto the the side of the neck and a left thrust punch to the ribs (you should be in a horse stance facing them.) Step in with the left foot so you are behind them now, in a horse stance facing away from them, and do a right rear elbow strike to the kidney. Bring the right foot around so you are now in a half moon stance on the opponents right rear side. Do a left palm strike to the back of the head, and follow with left leg sweep (the left hand comes back to help with the sweep). Turn around so you are in a right half moon stance facing the opponent's downed body. Left glancing kick to bring your foot to their head. Turn. Kneel on the 3rd eye with the left knee while you do a simultaneous left butterfly palm to the solar plexus and a thrust punch to the groin.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
That doesn't sound like my 45 at all. I have 45 coming in off a left handed punch. Step in with the left foot to the outside of their stance while doing a left downward knife block. As you step with the right foot, you execute a simultaneous right crosshand shuto the the side of the neck and a left thrust punch to the ribs (you should be in a horse stance facing them.) Step in with the left foot so you are behind them now, in a horse stance facing away from them, and do a right rear elbow strike to the kidney. Bring the right foot around so you are now in a half moon stance on the opponents right rear side. Do a left palm strike to the back of the head, and follow with left leg sweep (the left hand comes back to help with the sweep). Turn around so you are in a right half moon stance facing the opponent's downed body. Left glancing kick to bring your foot to their head. Turn. Kneel on the 3rd eye with the left knee while you do a simultaneous left butterfly palm to the solar plexus and a thrust punch to the groin.
Cool...I have retained only 1-45 all as right punch defensives...at one time I had a few of the nineties and a couple others I don't remember....

Interesting technique you have there....I'll going to work on it...

dpkempo

White Belt
Reaction score
I have a different version of #45.
Defense against a right punch. Left foot steps to the outside towards 10:00 as you do a left open handed inside block. Right hand outside block with the palm up and rake your opponents eyes with your fingers. (Fan block or Windmill ). Right roundhouse kick to the inside of your opponents leg and step towards 12:00, as you land deliver a right elbow to the ribs.( you are on th eoutside of your opponents with both legs at this time.) Bring your left foot passed your right as you turn ccw and deliver a left elbow to the face and a right thrust punch to the ribs. Right foot steps behind opponent towards 2:00, with your back to your opponent deliver a left elbow to the kidneys. Snake your left arm under your opponents left armpit and tigers mouth to the throat. Drop to your right knee, opponent falls over your left leg. Trapping his left leg on top of yours you deliver a left punch and right palm to the groin simultaneously.
I believe that combos 45-50 were taught from the left side. I practice and teach all my combos on both sides.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I practice and teach all my combos on both sides.[/quote]
Nice technique!!!
I also practice mine on both sides....for me 1 thru 45 were taught as right handed techniques....In fact none of those I learned were taught primarily as left handed....It wasn't until I read some of Matt Barnes page did I realize there were techniques taught specifically as left handed defenses...

MeatWad2

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a different version of #45.
Defense against a right punch. Left foot steps to the outside towards 10:00 as you do a left open handed inside block. Right hand outside block with the palm up and rake your opponents eyes with your fingers. (Fan block or Windmill ). Right roundhouse kick to the inside of your opponents leg and step towards 12:00, as you land deliver a right elbow to the ribs.( you are on th eoutside of your opponents with both legs at this time.) Bring your left foot passed your right as you turn ccw and deliver a left elbow to the face and a right thrust punch to the ribs. Right foot steps behind opponent towards 2:00, with your back to your opponent deliver a left elbow to the kidneys. Snake your left arm under your opponents left armpit and tigers mouth to the throat. Drop to your right knee, opponent falls over your left leg. Trapping his left leg on top of yours you deliver a left punch and right palm to the groin simultaneously.
I believe that combos 45-50 were taught from the left side. I practice and teach all my combos on both sides.

That one sounds pretty interesting. I know for a fact that 45-50 are taught against left handed attacks.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also practice mine on both sides....for me 1 thru 45 were taught as right handed techniques....In fact none of those I learned were taught primarily as left handed....It wasn't until I read some of Matt Barnes page did I realize there were techniques taught specifically as left handed defenses...

I can't speak for others, but in my style, 45-50 are taught as a left-handed punchs defended from a right-handed stance. We call this an open stance my left foot is closest to their right foot when we start. All others techniques are from a closed stance, with a right-handed punch defended from a right-handed stance. All techniques, combinations, defensive manuvers, kempos, punch techniques, knives, clubs, forms, whatever are done both right and left-handed, once at an advanced rank.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't speak for others, but in my style, 45-50 are taught as a left-handed punchs defended from a right-handed stance. We call this an open stance my left foot is closest to their right foot when we start. All others techniques are from a closed stance, with a right-handed punch defended from a right-handed stance. All techniques, combinations, defensive manuvers, kempos, punch techniques, knives, clubs, forms, whatever are done both right and left-handed, once at an advanced rank.
Other than the higher numbers 90+ (supposedly Villari's 108 movements) I have only been taught 1-45 and in my Instructors Dojo they were all defenses against a right punch (as initially taught...but again we are expect to practice both sides). We were originally taught all our defenses from the horse stance, it wasn't until we got higher rank did that start to change to a left foot forward 1/2 moon stance...
Currently, in my Dojo I train from each stance: L&R/F 1/2 moon, horse stance and a non-traditional street upright standing (lack of name) casual non-threatening stance...I also have my uke punch from a traditional 1/2 moon in throwing an overhand/hooking punch, then I have them in a R/foot forward R/hand jab speed punch...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am so glad we only have 26 :D so many of these higher numbers sound pretty "cool" but I have to wonder if they really add anything substantial (other than months of contract enrollment???)

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Other than the higher numbers 90+ (supposedly Villari's 108 movements) I have only been taught 1-45 and in my Instructors Dojo they were all defenses against a right punch (as initially taught...but again we are expect to practice both sides). We were originally taught all our defenses from the horse stance, it wasn't until we got higher rank did that start to change to a left foot forward 1/2 moon stance...
Currently, in my Dojo I train from each stance: L&R/F 1/2 moon, horse stance and a non-traditional street upright standing (lack of name) casual non-threatening stance...I also have my uke punch from a traditional 1/2 moon in throwing an overhand/hooking punch, then I have them in a R/foot forward R/hand jab speed punch...

That's great. One of the things my new instructor asks of us, is to do every technique from every conceivable angle and attack to see what works and doesn't. I have yet to put in the time to do that, but it's a great way to do things. Sounds like you're doing a lot of that with your training, I applaud that.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's great. One of the things my new instructor asks of us, is to do every technique from every conceivable angle and attack to see what works and doesn't. I have yet to put in the time to do that, but it's a great way to do things. Sounds like you're doing a lot of that with your training, I applaud that.
Thanks! I hope I'm on the right path...I know it can get boring sometimes for my training partners because I like to focus on perfecting my combo's...trying the different angles as you stated you guys do...When you think about all the material we learn over the years: clubs, knives punch techniques etc...I know I won't remember them all...so I try to focus on combinations and forms....to me everything starts from them...If I need a club defense, etc. I look to the combo's and modify the initial block...

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am so glad we only have 26 :D so many of these higher numbers sound pretty "cool" but I have to wonder if they really add anything substantial (other than months of contract enrollment???)

Actually they add a lot of substance to the curriculum. I do not know if your GM has changed a lot of the combinations but most of the techniques in the lower combo's are repetive principles with different #'s. if not groups.
6,7,8,9,12,14 kick sets - most from a standing position or with a knife block - combo 19 - just #6 with a add on. so now we are down to 19 techniques.
10 + 17 similiar principles.
21 + 26 same (dont get crazy most of you know what i mean)
1 through 5 all teach something different -- great techniques.
11 - one of my favorites
combo 13 is just combo #3 with a belt in your hand (that is if you do it with the belt block Left hand high (#3 block) right hand low - (looks like a punch to me)
15 - different - this technique alone is fun to change around for hours.
16 -- mmm, I like how i do it now more than trying to catch a punch.
18 - different (We do it off of a right kick)
I guess what i am getting at is who wants a person only up till black belt. All that means is that they are really good at basics. the real knowledge comes later on when it truly sinks into your body. Plus up to 40 you get to see a lot of what was influenced by Prof. Cerio and his teaching from Prof. Chow. The foot movements and body positionings after 26 real start making you move in ways you would not think of. David i am not trying to blast you here just answering your question on wondering if it adds substance. the higher numbers have hip throws, Small Circle Ju-Jitsu take downs - arm bars and breaks and so much more. Go to Matt Barnes Page, grab some of the techniques in the 40's and try them out, you will see some substance. Until then train hard in your combo's because and Grand Master Pesare says -- Give me 26 techniques and i will show you 260 moves.
Jesse

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thanks, good info... I know some of our combos that are numbered under 26 are not the same as you all have listed... some he made himself (mostly based on NCK Kenpo hands material), some are brought down from the higher numbers. for example our #18 the attack is a right punch to the body, left hook to the head (does that correspond to any combos you all know of??); our number 8 has no kick: knife hand block, tiger mouth to throat, drop elbow to solar plexus, twist neck for break or takedown.

Also in addition to the 26 "Shaolin Defense maneuvers" we have 15 "Grab Defense maneuvers", 10 knife, 10 club and 10 gun. So perhaps a lot of them are contained in there?? Also we have a couple of techniques for each "animal" leopard #1 & #2 etc, tiger 1 & 2 (but these are extra and not in the belt progression charts). I should probably do some comparisons of our weapon techs vs the SDMs above 26, I bet there's a good deal of overlap there... but I'm too busy right now polishing for my brown belt, got my last requirement checked off recently (pinan 5) and I hope to test for it in August.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, good info... I know some of our combos that are numbered under 26 are not the same as you all have listed... some he made himself (mostly based on NCK Kenpo hands material), some are brought down from the higher numbers. for example our #18 the attack is a right punch to the body, left hook to the head (does that correspond to any combos you all know of??); our number 8 has no kick: knife hand block, tiger mouth to throat, drop elbow to solar plexus, twist neck for break or takedown.

Also in addition to the 26 "Shaolin Defense maneuvers" we have 15 "Grab Defense maneuvers", 10 knife, 10 club and 10 gun. So perhaps a lot of them are contained in there?? Also we have a couple of techniques for each "animal" leopard #1 & #2 etc, tiger 1 & 2 (but these are extra and not in the belt progression charts). I should probably do some comparisons of our weapon techs vs the SDMs above 26, I bet there's a good deal of overlap there... but I'm too busy right now polishing for my brown belt, got my last requirement checked off recently (pinan 5) and I hope to test for it in August.

Thats awesome -- brown belt test that is --.. Hope all goes well. Going to have to work your combos #8- not sure i understand it. Dropping an elbow to the solar plexus after a throat strike then doing a backwards takedown -- is that correct? For a fun comparison check out Heien (sp) Godan to see what the original 5 pinan looked like.
Jesse

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
well, I was being brief so I left out a lot :)

Let's see if I can explain it better:

HM right forward with left outward knifehand block, simultaneous with right tiger mouth to throat.

thrust the elbow forward and down into the SP, your right hand should slip upwards past their right ear as they fold forward. This allows you to pass your right hand over the back of their neck, past their left ear and grab the chin, nose, etc.

with your left slap downards on the back while pulling with the right and stepping abck with right. It's much more of a neck-break thana take down, but you cna tune it up either way on the fly (slap to right shoulder, pull instead of jerk, step back deeper...)

does that make more sense?

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
your right hand should slip upwards past their right ear as they fold forward. This allows you to pass your right hand over the back of their neck, past their left ear and grab the chin, nose, etc.
THis is exactly how I perform the my finishing roll on #19....I instead "roll" their body.....When you control the head , you control the body....
NICE Technique!!!!! I LIKE IT!!!!

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
your right hand should slip upwards past their right ear as they fold forward. This allows you to pass your right hand over the back of their neck, past their left ear and grab the chin, nose, etc.
THis is exactly how I perform the my finishing roll on #19....I instead "roll" their body.....When you control the head , you control the body....
NICE Technique!!!!! I LIKE IT!!!!

David, i def. like the technique too. Jdokan, my ending move on 19 grabs the belt and just throws them backwards, our scenario is there is a wall behind me and im putting their head through it.
Jesse