Parting Wings

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
2 hand front push

1) With feet together, step to 6 o'clock with your right foot into a left neutral bow, as both of your hands chop out to the inside of your opponents wrists, forcing his arms out.

2) Shift into a left forward bow as your right hand chops to opponents left ribcage (palm up) while at the same time, cocking your left hand to the right side of your face.

3) Shift back to a left neutral bow as you deliver a left outward chop to opponents throat, cocking your right clenched fist to your right hip.

4) Again shift to a left forward bow as you drop your left arm horizontally (palm down) and deliver a right middle knuckle fist over your left arm, to opponents solar plexus.

Discussion on this technique, as well as any variations.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
For you Tracy people, this sounds like Flashing Daggers, from Blue Belt, also found in Long Three. We follow with another strike at the end:

Pivot into a reverse bow and finish with a left back knifehand to the groin.

I think I also learned the Middle Knuckle Punch to the Solar Plexus as a spearhand. I think I like the punch better.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
2 hand front push

1) With feet together, step to 6 o'clock with your right foot into a left neutral bow, as both of your hands chop out to the inside of your opponents wrists, forcing his arms out.

2) Shift into a left forward bow as your right hand chops to opponents left ribcage (palm up) while at the same time, cocking your left hand to the right side of your face.

3) Shift back to a left neutral bow as you deliver a left outward chop to opponents throat, cocking your right clenched fist to your right hip.

4) Again shift to a left forward bow as you drop your left arm horizontally (palm down) and deliver a right middle knuckle fist over your left arm, to opponents solar plexus.

Very similar to the beginning of Advancing Daggers, with the first move being double outward extended blocks and the middle knuckle fist being a spear hand. Great technique to understand waist movement, timing and targeting for different hand strikes.

From here, we do a right knee to the groin at the same time double 'U-hands' are executed to the throat and the eyes.

Cross step with right, past the attacker, pulling him in towards your chest.

Turn left into a hardbow, throwing the attacker across your right hip.

Finish with a scoop kick and heel thrust to the ribs.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I think alot of people over exaggerate the initial block and force the attackers hands out too wide to the point where contact is lost between the attacker and defender. We emphasize opening the attackers arms to just wider than our shoulder width and then entering down their centerline.

I want the attacker to be thinking "I can still grab him" while I'm doing my best to drop him. Once contact is lost a decent fighter will be covering and moving rather than standing there. Of course a decent fighter probably wouldn't have tried to push you either.... :)

Lamont

Sam

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our Flashing Daggers is taught like this:

1) With feet in netural stance, right step to 6 o'clock into a left hardbow, as both of your hands chop out to the inside of your opponents wrists, forcing his arms out.

2)Right chop to their neck (trap muscle?)

3) Left chop to the front of their neck

4) Right spearhand to opponents solar plexus

5) Left softbow chop to opponents groin

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Blindside said:
I think alot of people over exaggerate the initial block and force the attackers hands out too wide to the point where contact is lost between the attacker and defender. We emphasize opening the attackers arms to just wider than our shoulder width and then entering down their centerline.

I want the attacker to be thinking "I can still grab him" while I'm doing my best to drop him. Once contact is lost a decent fighter will be covering and moving rather than standing there. Of course a decent fighter probably wouldn't have tried to push you either.... :)

Lamont

Good point. I do the tech. the same way. The same can be said of all blocks. Overblocking is never a good thing.

Mike

bujuts

Green Belt
Reaction score
Some motions are principally the same, however we do not cock the hands at the hips.

Cheers,

Steven Brown
UKF

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MJS said:
2 hand front push

We put an eye-slice between steps 1) and 2) (Never go past a target without doing something, unless it will cost you the technique).

In 2) we do a right heel-palm strike to the pectoral muscle, then grab and rip as we move into 3).

Look at your position when you complete 4) ..... you are lined up waiting to do something .... (forward bow, right hand out, left hand back) ... so we add

5) Knee strike to the groin with a left chop to the throat, while cocking your right hand at your hip.

6) Land forward into a Right Neutral Bow while delivering a Right Heel-Palm to the face. Kinda like the end of Darting Mace, right?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My FAVE technique to do so far. :asian: This was one that I performed at my graduation.

I learned it the way MJS described.

One of my instructors jokingly refers this as one of the "Elvis techniques" as a lighthearted way to remind us of the neutral-forward-neutral-forward pivoting essential to the execution.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
We put an eye-slice between steps 1) and 2) (Never go past a target without doing something, unless it will cost you the technique).

In 2) we do a right heel-palm strike to the pectoral muscle, then grab and rip as we move into 3).

Look at your position when you complete 4) ..... you are lined up waiting to do something .... (forward bow, right hand out, left hand back) ... so we add

5) Knee strike to the groin with a left chop to the throat, while cocking your right hand at your hip.

6) Land forward into a Right Neutral Bow while delivering a Right Heel-Palm to the face. Kinda like the end of Darting Mace, right?
I learned this one without cocking at the hip. This is where we were introdoced to bringing your body to the hand and droping the elbow for a half cocking just like in Short Two unless of course you cock the hand in Short two as well. Do you fully cock, before the half fists to the throat, in short two?
Sean
Sean

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Touch Of Death said:
I learned this one without cocking at the hip. This is where we were introdoced to bringing your body to the hand and droping the elbow for a half cocking just like in Short Two unless of course you cock the hand in Short two as well. Do you fully cock, before the half fists to the throat, in short two?

In Short Two, the half fist strikes are cocked higher, at the pectoral muscle.

In Parting Wings, I guess I am not cocking the right hand as low as the hip, but I am neither cocking it as high as in Short Two.

In Parting Wings, we have learned the strikes as 'Middle-High-Low'.
The right hand is striking in the middle zone first - heelpalm to the pectoral muscle.
The Left hand is choping high - to the neck.
The Right hand is striking low - the solar plexus.

A couple of thoughts, as I sit here thinking about this technique.

As we look at MJS's write up - At Step 3)

One of the rules of kenpo is to never use your second hand inside; but, if you do, it needs to be above your first hand.

After the left hand chops the neck, I was taught a frictional pull down the attacker's front with the left hand. Our right hand has to go over that left hand frictional pull for the strike in step 4). So, I guess it makes sense that the right weapon needs to be loaded higher, to be properly positioned to strike over the left hand.
This is similar to the Darting Leaves moves in Form 4 where we do a complimentary angle finger poke over the inward block.

When we get to the additional steps in my write up. At step 4) My right hand is striking low ... and it is not going to cross my left at step 6) ... so, wouldn't it make sense to cock the right hand low (at the hip) while executing step 5). Cock low to Strike high.
I'm thinking of the finger poke pom-pom's in Long Two ... we learn to extend our left hand up before the Palm-Up Downward Block - "Cock High to Strike Low"

So, anyhow, you guys all know I am still a brown belt --- the 'Don't Know **** ' level of Kenpo. So, I look forward to what those with more experience have to say.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
2 hand front push

First of all, IF you got your arms on the inside of his arms, you will have a very difficult time moving his arms apart. This technique is not designed for an 'attempted push.'

experiment:

Have your training partner step forward with a pushing movement chest high and freeze.

Then place your hands inside his as if you were going to do the technique as described, and try to force the arms apart while your training partner actively resists.

Results?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
michaeledward said:

I like this version!!:ultracool Might as well take full advantage of any extra hits that you can get in. The eye rake in the beginning, hit to the chest after the 2nd handsword, as well as the strikes at the end...all very good IMO.

Mike

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
MJS said:
I like this version!!:ultracool Might as well take full advantage of any extra hits that you can get in. The eye rake in the beginning, hit to the chest after the 2nd handsword, as well as the strikes at the end...all very good IMO.

Mike
Of course I can't speak for other jurisdictions but I know in California you will be locked up and down for quite awhile for doing that technique as described for an 'attempted push.'

How about some consistency. One minute we don't want to hit someone even though he's annouced he wants to hurt us unless he actually raises his hands, and the next minute we're ripping the eyes out of guy who's attempting to just 'push' us.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Doc said:
Of course I can't speak for other jurisdictions but I know in California you will be locked up and down for quite awhile for doing that technique as described for an 'attempted push.'

Actually, I started this thread to discuss the variations of the technique, not the legalities of the techniques. However, I may as well address it anyway. If we look at a good portion of the techniques, the same can be said of them as well. Do we need to break someones arm as in Lone Kimono just because they grab us?

How about some consistency. One minute we don't want to hit someone even though he's annouced he wants to hurt us unless he actually raises his hands, and the next minute we're ripping the eyes out of guy who's attempting to just 'push' us.

Hmm...all the more reason to be well rounded enough to have other alternatives.

Mike

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
MJS said:
Hmm...all the more reason to be well rounded enough to have other alternatives.
Mike

Or, just understand that the "ideal" technique pushes to the extreme limits, but you can always scale it back to suit the situation. Just because it teaches you to rake eyes and break arms, you don't have to.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doc said:
First of all, IF you got your arms on the inside of his arms, you will have a very difficult time moving his arms apart. This technique is not designed for an 'attempted push.'

What would you suggest it is designed for?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Or, just understand that the "ideal" technique pushes to the extreme limits, but you can always scale it back to suit the situation. Just because it teaches you to rake eyes and break arms, you don't have to.

Exactly! I suppose, if we wanted to, we could include that into our discussion as well. :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Doc said:
experiment:

Have your training partner step forward with a pushing movement chest high and freeze.

Then place your hands inside his as if you were going to do the technique as described, and try to force the arms apart while your training partner actively resists.

Results?

Here's a thought: if someone is trying to push you, the momentum and power are directed away from him and toward you (the victim). The force of the attacker's arms are not directed in a "squeezing together" motion. Clearing his arms from the inside of his push is really just redirecting his forward momentum to slightly outward, but still letting his momentum carry him forward and closer to yourself. In effect, he walks into your defensive handstrikes as you take control of his center.

The difference is that you aren't trying to simply force/muscle his arms out in a splitting movement, devoid of forward momentum.

Your thoughts on this?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Doc said:

experiment:

Results?

Doc, your description made me think, I actually do mine a little bit differently. Rather than hand-to-wrist contact, mine is more forearm-to-forearm. I'm very much a rookie so please forgive me if I don't describe this very well.

While stepping back in to the left neutral stance, I thrust my arms up in between his (with my palms towards my face), snap my forearms outward, and push his arms apart. The snapping motion made the difference in me being able to actually force his arms apart.

Your thoughts?