SKK Combos

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seeing that we have a number of current and former SKK people here, I thought we could take a look at and break down some of the various techniques in the system. Basically, I'm looking to discuss any problems you may have encountered or variations that you have with the techniques. To start off, I thought we could discuss #1.

Step thru right punch.

1-Step back with right leg, as you draw your left into a cat, while parrying the punch with your left.

2-Step forward with your left leg, as you wrap opponents arm with your left arm.

3-Deliver a right raking tiger claw strike to the face, following thru with a bent wrist strike.

4-Right foot steps behind opponents right leg, as you deliver a web hand (tigers mouth) strike to the throat, sweeping them down.

5-While maintaining hold of the opponents arm, deliver a right punch to the chest and a right spear hand to the throat.

Anyone have any other variations?

Mike

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ok here is my issue with #1
when you step back and block and shuffle in with the second punch comeing in at you. YOU get hit.

so I took this comb and added natural law to it.

first you never want to move backwards to move forwards.

with this mind. as the punch comes in step forward with your right foot avoiding the punch (by shifting your center) and deliver a back hand strike to the side of the attackers head.

as he feels this blow you then follow threw with a right strike to the attackes jaw as your left hand swings under the attackers right elbow area.. (Wrapping it or him up) shifting there body from a 90 degree to a 45 degree you shift there center and take them to the ground. finish the teq. as you have it...

the key here is as you hit there head jaw you shift your hand threw on a 45 degree angle moveing there head back and to the right...

I can show you, but some times it is hard to write. as I am still healing from surgery...

thanks,
steve

I think this is a great idear to break down all comb...

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do #1 pretty much the same... instead of stepping our right leg behind the atackers for the take down, we step back to 6 with our left foot, timed with the strike to the throat. Their right foot should be fully weighted after the strikes, setting up a pivot point over their right foot, so the take down without the step-behind works well.

As for the second punch, that's not really the "ideal phase" (to borrow a concept from AK), but it can be addressed. I think if you are expecting a follow-up left attack, it can be stopped as you step in by an outward block, and your forward movement puts you inside the expected range of the strike, which should also help smother its power. The outward block puts your right in position for the strikes to the head...

I've found that a bigger problem than the left punch is the forward movement of the attacker as they deliver the punch. Your step back in response to his right is going to entice him, if he is inclined to throw the left, to move forward as he throws it. So now you and he are both trying to move forward into the same space. You should be in control of his right shoulder by now... any takes on that?

-D

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
we do not step directly back but to 5:00. The angle takes you out of the direct line of attack as you sink into the cat stance your wieght (in the downward monkey block)and the attackers momentum unbalances the attacker as you step in for the wrap (the step in is really a powerful continuation of balance disruption) the left hand can rake across the face (covering) and the crane head strike is the same as Kosho's b/c you never want to step berhind someone for a take down while thier balance (straight spine) is in tact.
the cat stance allows you to coil for explosive power. If in your follow up move, you lead with your center the strike is exponentially increased in power with minimal muscular effort. the control of the arm in the takedown gives one many options to immobilize, dislocate, and control the attacker. The techniques takes less than 5 seconds to execute and works well against hook punches left or right and someone attacking with multiple strikes

Respectfully,
marlon

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
We use #1 combination as a defense against a right hook punch rather than a straight punch. Here is how we do it:

1. Left foot steps forward with a left block that wraps over the attackers arm and secures it at elbow position.

2. Right hand rakes a tiger's claw across the face from right to left then strikes face or temple with a chicken wrist (or ox head depending on your terminology)

3. Right foot sweeps the attacker's right leg and the right hand does a ridge hand strike to the throat or face knocking the attacker backwards to the ground

4. Right thrust punch to ribs and then a right knife hand strike to the collar bone, face, or throat.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ok here is my issue with #1
when you step back and block and shuffle in with the second punch comeing in at you. YOU get hit.

so I took this comb and added natural law to it.

This was one thing that really caught my attention when I switched to EPAK, that being the "What if" phase of the techniques. Now, maybe I was just missing that aspect while doing SKK, but as far as I can recall, I never saw anyone looking at that phase. Certainly something to take into consideration though.

with this mind. as the punch comes in step forward with your right foot avoiding the punch (by shifting your center) and deliver a back hand strike to the side of the attackers head.

I'm assuming that this is done with the left?

as he feels this blow you then follow threw with a right strike to the attackes jaw as your left hand swings under the attackers right elbow area.. (Wrapping it or him up) shifting there body from a 90 degree to a 45 degree you shift there center and take them to the ground. finish the teq. as you have it...

the key here is as you hit there head jaw you shift your hand threw on a 45 degree angle moveing there head back and to the right...

Interesting. I'll have to try this. :)

I can show you, but some times it is hard to write. as I am still healing from surgery...

Maybe we could set up a workout sometime. I'm in CT. Not sure how far into MA you are.

I think this is a great idear to break down all comb...

I do this with some of the EPAK and Tracy techs. so I thought I'd give it a shot with the SKK ones. Its always interesting to see what else is out there. :)

Mike

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS,
I would love to come down to CT and work out with you some time. RIGHT now I am healing from Shoulder surgery. I was told 3 - 6 months to get full use back. I am in Orange ma, just about 25 min from route 91.
my email is [email protected] send me more info also if you have a web page.
as far as comb #1 there are a lot of good concepts to how and why it works. I would like to more to comb # 2 now. As I do not do it the SKK way anymore. I will have someone post and I will post mine after. Hope all is well for everyone.
steve

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Combination #2

1. Step back into a side fighting horse stance with your left foot (another way would be to step forward and to the right with the right foot, then step backwards with the left)

2. Right hand does a #3 block

3. Right back punch to face

4. Shuffle forward with a backward elbow to solar plexus or face (Stance should end up along side or even slightly past attacker's stance)

5. Right hand sweeps attacker's left leg

6. Right knife hand strike to groin.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach this the same way as posted. But only to the kids at the age of 15 and under. At 16 and older I add the Kosho Idears to this comb.

First pre set your balance and feet to your left. so the attackers is draw towards hitting you colser to your left side. as the shoulder starts to move and the punch comes in you shift your body to the right and deliver a right driving shuto the the attackers right shoulder. as your feet shuffle out as in the same movement. before the punch is in full motion. as the person shifts there balance you deliver and they feel the weight in there hips and feet get locked for a second. you deliver a cross hand shuto to there face driving it back on a 45 degree angle. as there weight shifts on to the back of there heals you drive a right elbow into there chest.
this will take them to the ground and they will fall. as they hit the ground a right shuto to the groin and cross and cover.

comb # 2 is all based on a 1 hand defense teq: so if you follow what I wrote you will see that the teq: is really close to how it is done in SKK.
but with Kosho Idears...

with the second punch in mind 8 out of 10 times you could get hit by the second punch. with the shifting of weight in the hips and the freezeing that takes place you now control what the attacker can and can not do...
with what i have changed...
steve

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The block- strike with the same hand at the begiinning of #2 usually takes care of the second punch by either being a block or a strike to the head preventing force from the second punch and severely disrupting the balance of the attacker. you must step in with the punch. Very effective and i do not see the need for the adjustments mentioned unless you wait between the block and the strike.

Respectfully,
Marlon

shaolin ninja 4

Green Belt
Reaction score
The block- strike with the same hand at the begiinning of #2 usually takes care of the second punch by either being a block or a strike to the head preventing force from the second punch and severely disrupting the balance of the attacker. you must step in with the punch. Very effective and i do not see the need for the adjustments mentioned unless you wait between the block and the strike.

Respectfully,
Marlon

Hey Marlon,
I just check Prof. I web site and you are no longer on it , what happened?

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Seeing that we have a number of current and former SKK people here, I thought we could take a look at and break down some of the various techniques in the system. Basically, I'm looking to discuss any problems you may have encountered or variations that you have with the techniques. To start off, I thought we could discuss #1.

Step thru right punch.

1-Step back with right leg, as you draw your left into a cat, while parrying the punch with your left.

2-Step forward with your left leg, as you wrap opponents arm with your left arm.

3-Deliver a right raking tiger claw strike to the face, following thru with a bent wrist strike.

4-Right foot steps behind opponents right leg, as you deliver a web hand (tigers mouth) strike to the throat, sweeping them down.

5-While maintaining hold of the opponents arm, deliver a right punch to the chest and a right spear hand to the throat.

Mike

I have this as:

Step thru right punch.

3-Deliver a right sideways palm strike to the jaw, following thru with a bent wrist strike.

I have also seen it as:

Step thru right punch.

2-Step forward with your left leg, rake the face with a tiger claw before, you wrap opponents arm with your left arm.

5-While maintaining hold of the opponents arm, deliver a right punch to the chest and a right rolling shuto to the throat.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Combination #2

1. Step back into a side fighting horse stance with your left foot (another way would be to step forward and to the right with the right foot, then step backwards with the left)

2. Right hand does a #3 block

3. Right back punch to face

4. Shuffle forward with a backward elbow to solar plexus or face (Stance should end up along side or even slightly past attacker's stance)

5. Right hand sweeps attacker's left leg

6. Right knife hand strike to groin.

I used teach this as:

1. box step

2. Right hand does a #3 block to attack the radial nerve

3. Right backfist punch to the nose (the crying button!)

4. Shuffle forward with a side elbow to the sternum (the shot to the sternum knocks your opponent balance point backwards so that way the sweep will work, plus your opponents right leg should line up to be in the middle of your side horse stance)

5. as your opponents balance is going backwards, right hand sweeps attacker's left leg

6. Right knife hand strike to groin, cross and cover.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wouldn't margin for error discourage you from meeting the attack while moving your foot back to a cat? Are you intending to meet the attack in a counter-balance?
Sean

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn't margin for error discourage you from meeting the attack while moving your foot back to a cat? Are you intending to meet the attack in a counter-balance?
Sean

you should be drawing back to hallow out the body. that is the reason why you draw in a cat...to create that reaction for the street.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MJS,
I would love to come down to CT and work out with you some time. RIGHT now I am healing from Shoulder surgery. I was told 3 - 6 months to get full use back. I am in Orange ma, just about 25 min from route 91.
my email is [email protected] send me more info also if you have a web page.

Sounds good. I'll shoot you a PM.

as far as comb #1 there are a lot of good concepts to how and why it works. I would like to more to comb # 2 now. As I do not do it the SKK way anymore. I will have someone post and I will post mine after. Hope all is well for everyone.
steve

I have #2 as follows:

Step into a side horse with your rt. foot.

Deliver a rt. inward block, followed by an uppercut to the chin/face.

Step left foot to rt. then step out with rt. foot to the outside of opponents left leg, as you deliver a rt. elbow strike to chest.

Step back slightly with left leg, as you sweep opponents left leg.

Step forward with left, checking opponents right leg with your left hand, as you deliver a right driving swordhand to groin.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score

Step thru right punch.

Mike

The moves for me are the same but the timing and attack are different. the first parry is for a RT front kick. as you step back in, LT hand blocks RT hook and wraps arm while striking face at same time with palm. The bent wrist then comes back to side right away and blocks a left hook, instead striking the face. next take down and finish right punch chest, right knife hand neck.
Jesse.

Latest Discussions