SKK Combos

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is a great thread.

MJS, Sensei Bonk (Kosho) is one of my students and I hope he (and maybe me, too) can visit you sometime in the near future.

I will be posting soon on my website, www.evanskempo.com, the first 20 skk combinations done the "kosho" way. I'll post here when I have them up and provide a link. I've also been thinking that it would be nice to host a regular Kosho-style video lesson. I'll talk to my team and I'm sure we'll start putting that together soon. I think it would be great for others to really see the Kosho differences. (and similarities)

The one thing to remember is that whatever is shown in video represents a single moment and not "the" way to do it. Kosho teaches us to let go of technique and become aware of what is happening in the moment. Also, there is no better person to demonstrate Kosho than Hanshi Bruce Juchnik. He truly is the master of this art.

One more point on the skk combinations. When I started changing these nearly 10 years ago one of my goals was to follow the teachings of Kosho as I made the modifications. One major thing I had to take into account was that a person continues to move after the initial strike. In Kosho we tend to call this Secondary Rotation.

I also worked in lessons like; move twice, the 90, timing, freezing, leaning factor, folding, 7/10, "dot man" (my own idea), etc. For me, the skk combos went from a struggle to something very effective and adaptable to all situations.

Anyway, this is a great thread. I hope to find more time to post here on a more regular basis.

With respect,
John Evans
www.evanskempo.com

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
5 Combination

Right foot steps forward and to the right and the left foot slides to the right into a side fighting horse stance. The block is made up of a left downward palm and a right chicken wrist. This acts as more of a strike to their wrist than a strict block. The right hand then strikes the face with a backfist. Finish with a right side kick to the ribs.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
5 Combination

Right foot steps forward and to the right and the left foot slides to the right into a side fighting horse stance. The block is made up of a left downward palm and a right chicken wrist. This acts as more of a strike to their wrist than a strict block. The right hand then strikes the face with a backfist. Finish with a right side kick to the ribs.

This is nearly identical to how we do this technique. Our block is a vertical knife hand and crane's wrist. After the block, we grab the wrist with the left hand. We do the kick and backfist together. These differences may be only in the way we write it :)

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

This is a great thread.

Glad you like it. :) There have been many discussions on EPAK and Tracy material, so I figured that it would be nice to have one for SKK as well.

MJS, Sensei Bonk (Kosho) is one of my students and I hope he (and maybe me, too) can visit you sometime in the near future.

It would be my pleasure to have both of you down.

I will be posting soon on my website, www.evanskempo.com, the first 20 skk combinations done the "kosho" way. I'll post here when I have them up and provide a link. I've also been thinking that it would be nice to host a regular Kosho-style video lesson. I'll talk to my team and I'm sure we'll start putting that together soon. I think it would be great for others to really see the Kosho differences. (and similarities)

Looking forward to that!

Anyway, this is a great thread. I hope to find more time to post here on a more regular basis.

With respect,
John Evans
www.evanskempo.com

I look forward to hearing more from you.

Mike

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS.
Good that means less work for me this summer if Master Evans comes down with me... I will drink more Coffee. LOL
Shoulder still hurting. but still going to class.
Comb # 6 The leg is longer then the arm...
Front ball kick to the attackers center and cross and cover.

I have it now as a shift and change ( move left ) or (right) and deliver a front ball kick to the lower ribs. a Block if needed.
cross and cover. (always moving)
Kosho

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
MJS.
Good that means less work for me this summer if Master Evans comes down with me... I will drink more Coffee. LOL

LOL!

Yeah, unfortunately, this sounds like one of those injuries thats going to take a while. A few years ago, I injured my knee while grappling. I was wondering if was ever going to heal, but with some rest and exercises to help strengthen it back up, I was back in no time. :)

Same here.

Mike

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone actually do combo 6 differently? It is so basic. How could you change it other than possibly throwing in a block.

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I first learned #6 combination I was taught to stand in place and time my front kick just right. Kosho teaches to move at different angles in order to not take on another person's body mass.

#6 is pretty basic, but, if you take the time to really study this technique you can find great lessons. Learning how to step into a rooted position to deliver a kick is just one lesson that can be learned from this. You can also work on distancing and begin to feel comfortable delivering a front kick in close and further back.

As I sit here and type the thoughts of controlling a person's secondary rotation in order to create more time to throw the kick come to mind. I'm also thinking about how I could engage the attacker's tunnel vision in order to aid in being able to kick him with less of a chance of my movement being seen. And then there's the thoughts of being able to kick with 7/10 (kosho principle) so I hopefully won't have to kick him again.

Come to think of it, maybe #6 combination isn't so basic afterall.

Reactions: MJS

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
When I first learned #6 combination I was taught to stand in place and time my front kick just right. Kosho teaches to move at different angles in order to not take on another person's body mass.

#6 is pretty basic, but, if you take the time to really study this technique you can find great lessons. Learning how to step into a rooted position to deliver a kick is just one lesson that can be learned from this. You can also work on distancing and begin to feel comfortable delivering a front kick in close and further back.

As I sit here and type the thoughts of controlling a person's secondary rotation in order to create more time to throw the kick come to mind. I'm also thinking about how I could engage the attacker's tunnel vision in order to aid in being able to kick him with less of a chance of my movement being seen. And then there's the thoughts of being able to kick with 7/10 (kosho principle) so I hopefully won't have to kick him again.

Come to think of it, maybe #6 combination isn't so basic afterall.

I am a little confused about your moving around to do 6 combination. If you move your left foot, I would say that you are now doing 7 combination. We use 6 to explain the simple concept that a leg is longer than their arms. 7 combination is about adjusting distance and angles.

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would argue that it doesn't matter if your leg is longer if your attacker is moving in quickly and weighs more than 50lbs. When dealing with movement and body mass one would be wise to move first and strike back second.

Try this drill out -

Have a partner hold one of the large kicking shields. Have him move around and, at some random time, step straight in at you. All you have to do is kick the pad hard enough to stop him. His goal should be to plow right through you.

In #7 combination I view this as being more unprepared and thus the reason we step to a back angle. The body is turned sideways hence the reason a side kick is executed.

In Kosho we study action -vs- reaction. When a person strikes at us it takes time, especially if we're not 100% ready, to react to what's happening. We also understand that taking on body mass is usually not a very good idea. Especially when you attacker weighs more than you.

Take an average 135lbs woman who's being attacked by an average 200lbs man. Do you really think she would do best by standing still and trying to time her kick just right? I would say no to that.

I always teach my students to move offline from the attack and, by using Kosho principles, take over the situation using less of their own energy.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am a little confused about your moving around to do 6 combination. If you move your left foot, I would say that you are now doing 7 combination. We use 6 to explain the simple concept that a leg is longer than their arms. 7 combination is about adjusting distance and angles.

I've learned combination 6 many different ways. I've learned it with just the front ball kick to the solar plexus, front ball kick with a dragon hook block, front ball kick with an iron fortress block, front ball kick with a dragon trap block...it's all the same concept though...timing. You have to time the kick just right otherwise length won't matter. Besides...I have short legs and a tall person's arm is somethings longer than my leg. HOWEVER, a variation of 6 is to kick the to shin as they are stepping in. a good drill is to get muay thai shin guards and do it that way.

If you are a Fred Villari student, I'll tell you that I was taught that it's about slipping the punch for combination 7. You barely move your foot to get out of the way of the punch. Once again, 7 has many targets such as the armpit (FVSSD thing), ribs and knee.

Remember this...combinations are just fancy ways to learn how to apply fighting principles you learn in the dojo, to the street and real life.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Comb # 5

punch comes in and you shift your body left foot to right and step out as you deliver a # 3 block. then follow up with a back 2 knuckle punch to the attackers face. then a right side blade kick to the attackers solar plex area. and cross and cover.

this is how I learned this comb.

I teach it this way and as the student grows I add kosho idears to it.
and what not.

Marlon do you have comb # 81 I learned this from Shihan I. and had a ? on it.
thanks,
Kosho

Here's how I have 5:

Box step (if in a horse stance) or hinge step forward (if in a left foot forward, right foot back on guard). Execute a simultaneous left hand outward knife with a right hand chicken wrist underneath to push the arm away clearing for a right backfist to the nose, while the left hand checks the opponent's arm. Right side thrust kick to the ribs, cross and cover.

A side blade kick to the solar plexus wouldn't fit. It's such a small target you'd have to hit it with the back end of your heal.

What can I say, I like hitting the nose.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
OK.
Comb # 6 I look at this as if you had a apple and a car was coming at you. you threw the apple at the car hit the windshield the apple explosed. and you get hit or run over.
If you take and step just out of the way and threw the apple into the car
by the open window and hit the person the car crashes. you are safe.
Yes it teaches us the leg is longer then the arm, but as you grow in SKK, or any art. Black belts and upper ranks should not look and move like under ranks.
Comb # 5 If you do not check the rotation of the person attacking you for the second punch you will get hit. unless you change your angle and hit instead of blocking.
marlon I got my ans. for comb 81 Thanks,
Kosho

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS.

I have it now as a shift and change ( move left ) or (right) and deliver a front ball kick to the lower ribs. a Block if needed.
cross and cover. (always moving)
Kosho

I teach it first with blocks 4 then 1 emphasizing to effect the attackers balance with the double block (i have been taught that the double block is core kempo). Then the advanced way is the leg is longer than the arm. No movement as it goes with sensitivity training to recognize when someone is going to attack. But i like teaching early to effect the attacker's alignment with the blocks. 7 i teach with a shift evaision and kick with a arm cover / guard that could be a block but i emphasize teaching the student to slip the attack

Marlon

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've learned combination 6 many different ways. I've learned it with just the front ball kick to the solar plexus, front ball kick with a dragon hook block, front ball kick with an iron fortress block, front ball kick with a dragon trap block...it's all the same concept though...timing. You have to time the kick just right otherwise length won't matter. Besides...I have short legs and a tall person's arm is somethings longer than my leg. HOWEVER, a variation of 6 is to kick the to shin as they are stepping in. a good drill is to get muay thai shin guards and do it that way.

Its been a long time since I've gone thru these techs. but now that you mention this, I do recall being shown the bold variation. This included stepping back with the right leg, as you did the block and delivered the kick.

Good points!

Mike

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

ee
OK.
Comb # 6 I look at this as if you had a apple and a car was coming at you. you threw the apple at the car hit the windshield the apple explosed. and you get hit or run over.
If you take and step just out of the way and threw the apple into the car
by the open window and hit the person the car crashes. you are safe.
Yes it teaches us the leg is longer then the arm, but as you grow in SKK, or any art. Black belts and upper ranks should not look and move like under ranks.
Comb # 5 If you do not check the rotation of the person attacking you for the second punch you will get hit. unless you change your angle and hit instead of blocking.
marlon I got my ans. for comb 81 Thanks,

Hi Kosho,
i do not have 81 but i was going to suggest emailing Shihan I...the only 9th dan i know who answers his emails within a day or two
as for 5 after the block (outward knife and crane's head / chicken wrist...why chicken??) step to the attackers center left tiger rake towards the face ( body check ...block second punch...shot concussive shot to the chest) right back 2 knuckle to the head elongating the body, making it yin / more vulnerable and right side kick to the plexus

Marlon

I love this thread!!!
Kosho

Kosho-Monk

Green Belt
Reaction score
How many of you are having your partner punch more than once when you are practicing your combinations? How about trying to let your partner move around and attack in any way they want to?

I have found that most people stick to the very basics and never really move forward past a beginner understanding. One thing that frustrate me is when an advanced student won't practice a technique differently because it's not the way he was shown it. Or even worse, when someone teaches a technique that they don't feel really works.

I praise my students when they are able to move forward with their understanding of something on their own. If they can learn to teach themselves then I've really done a good job.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How many of you are having your partner punch more than once when you are practicing your combinations? How about trying to let your partner move around and attack in any way they want to?

This is a must if you want to know the technique. Green and up train thier techniques this way always. The lower belts get to do this regularly

Marlon

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score

We work up to that, mostly.

If the attacker can move around and attack any way they want to, we typically call that "sparring".

But short of that... you have to practice against other-than-opitmal attacks, and of course attacks with follow-up attacks.

Obviously the trick is to do the technique "strong" enough that the attacker is moved realistically (and so ther follow-up options are properly limited) without injury. Which is why this kind of practice starts at mid-level ranks at our school. Working up to that level the attacker can increase the speed and vary the angle of the attack but we try to keep them close to the ideal mostly until they have developed a measure of control.

Latest Discussions