SKK Combos

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Kosho: what kind of shoulder surgery? I had ACH repair and I will tell you this as a person that's been there already...you will never be 100% normal again. Take it easy when you are going back into training...

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thats whats great about this SKK everyone see's and feels things differently. but as long as the end resault is the person is safe thats all that matters. I also see on your web page marlon you got your
4th degree GREAT JOB..
steve

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Kosho: what kind of shoulder surgery? I had ACH repair and I will tell you this as a person that's been there already...you will never be 100% normal again. Take it easy when you are going back into training...

My left shoulder: I have 5 small marks in that area. The DR. went in and shaved some of the bone away and fixed a grinding broken chip that was caught makeing more damage then good. he said all the muscle and ligaments look great. most of my pain is right in the top of where my colar bone meets. I belive it is the same surgery. PT started and we are working range of motion right now. It is truly pain full to more and I can't raise it up to far. Mostly ice I am told... I took my self off the pain meds.......
steve

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
COMB # 3

with all the combs and what not. as with time. things change as you grow.

I teach the teq from a grab, punch, 2, 3 punches a kick, what ever. once you have a teq. it should be tested from any and all ways of attack.
ever the octogon angles.

I strike the liver area of the person body. ( this truly causes many issues)
once they are hit I check or freeze there next movement. ( kosho idears)
I then strike there temple and shift there body by moveing my right hand across there jaw shifting them 45 degrees to there left. as there body shifts I take my left hand and place it into there right kidney area.
as I push with my left and pull with my right the body creates a fold.
that is truly when a throw can take place. as the person is taken off there feet i finish the teq. with a punch and i cross up and out I don't teq and stay in a lunge stance. once you are a green belt should aways be moveing twice.
steve

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
COMB # 3

I teach the teq from a grab, punch, 2, 3 punches a kick, what ever. once you have a teq. it should be tested from any and all ways of attack.
ever the octogon angles.

I then strike there temple and shift there body by moveing my right hand across there jaw shifting them 45 degrees to there left. as there body shifts I take my left hand and place it into there right kidney area.
that is truly when a throw can take place. as the person is taken off there feet i finish the teq. with a punch and i cross up and out I don't teq and stay in a lunge stance. once you are a green belt should aways be moveing twice.
steve

Hey Steve, take care of your injury so you can fully recover. Tom teches freezing also. interesting. As for the cross and cover, i was taught from white belt to move twice. The reason being that sk is built for multiple attackers so you need to move and visualize 360, we always move twice. I like training the teq from different attacks, although i had one student complain that 'it wasn't combo #2 b/c of the adjustments necessary against a kick. He had a lot of difficulty with thinking of them as concepts and not just teq.s he said it made it seem as though we were practicing Kimo's stuff ... Well he quit and is not happy with taiji were applications never change for him. Everyone can find something they like in martial arts

Respectfully,
Marlon

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
COMB # 3

ever the octogon angles.

steve

From the rt. punch, I step with my left to 10:00, while doing a simultaneous left parry and rt. vertical punch to the ribs.

Left hand tracks up the arm, grabbing the shoulder area and pulling them into a right upper cut to the face.

Still maintaining a grab with the left, I then reach over to their left shoulder, grabbing with my right, as I pull them in and step my right foot to my left.

I then step back with my right foot, executing a left punch to the face as they are taken down.

Cover out.

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
From the rt. punch, I step with my left to 10:00, while doing a simultaneous left parry and rt. vertical punch to the ribs.

Left hand tracks up the arm, grabbing the shoulder area and pulling them into a right upper cut to the face.

Still maintaining a grab with the left, I then reach over to their left shoulder, grabbing with my right, as I pull them in and step my right foot to my left.

I then step back with my right foot, executing a left punch to the face as they are taken down.

Cover out.

Ours if very similar to yours. We step forward and to the left with our left foot while delivering a right front punch to the bladder (or it could be a ridge hand strike to the groin. The left hand acts as a check, because the main focus is side-stepping the punch rather than blocking it. If he happens to follow your movements with his punch, then it's there to block if needed.

The left hand controls his shoulder and pulls down while the right hand delivers a back punch to the temple.

The right hand snakes behind the attacker's neck and hooks under where the jaw and the carotid artery meet. The right hand pulls to elbow position which spins him around and you throw him backward to the ground while you step your right foot out of the way to the left. As he is falling, deliver a left thrust punch to the solar plexus.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi,
marlon yes I agree i think all teq. should be tested at different angles and what not. MJS The way you have it is the way I learned it in the 80's.
I have changed it some what But if I was testing for rank you and marlon and others would see the comb # 3 in what i was doing. Lets go to # 4.
marlon you post this first.
best to all. steve
Marlon. how far is your Dojo from Orange ma? I was talking to the wife and we maybe going into canada for a vacation... would be nice to see you and maybe work out. depends on where you are?
steve

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Combo #4
Slight step back with the rt leg with a right rising block (more like slipping under the punch) clockwise circullar motion with the right arm clockwise (from the block you should have contact with the scapulla to be most effective with the circular motion) continue motion into a lt to rt downward tiger rake across the face with a half beat differential into a rt roundhouse that follows through ie not a competion kick but one that uses the hips and strikes with a downward force. land in a dragon stance to regain balance from the all out kick. rt axe or stomp the the groin of fallen attacker jump on the head and follow up strikes (i have had a rt lt front punch to the cheek bones then immortal man's to the eyes then trigger fingers to the temples or double front punches or only the rt lt punches)ending with a blade kick to the lt side of the attacker's head. Although, i really prefer the ending Danjo has from kajukenbo or is it from Pesare? I once was told that after the round house the techniques ended...
we really emphasize the slip of the attack rather than blocking and the rt arm functions more as a guard and a way to establish contact. The contact area (scapulla) is very good for sensing your opponents movement and for disrupting their balance with minimal effort.

Ok that's 4 the way i have it!
Let's learn

Respectfully,
Marlon

Steve i live in Montreal, Quebec about 4.5 hours out of Boston. i am not quite sure exactly where Orange county is, and it would be great to have you come up.

bill007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like training the teq from different attacks, although i had one student complain that 'it wasn't combo #2 b/c of the adjustments necessary against a kick. He had a lot of difficulty with thinking of them as concepts and not just teq.s he said it made it seem as though we were practicing Kimo's stuff ... Well he quit and is not happy with taiji were applications never change for him. Everyone can find something they like in martial arts

Respectfully,
Marlon

Hi Marlon, it's really hard to change for some people, I'm cross training in NCK now with some basic technique from Master Chun jr. and I have a hard time because it bring me out of my comfort zone, but I'm sure it will be good at last for my skills.

Dom

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Dom,
if you never get out of your comfort zone you are not growing. I am glad that you are keeping up your training. Come by and teach us a thing or two whenever you like. BTW where are you training NCK. Have you seen Gilles at all?

Respectfully,
marlon

fnorfurfoot

Senior Master
Reaction score
We train 4 combination for a right hammer strike or downward club attack.

Instead of stepping backwards with the right foot, we step forward and to the left with our left foot with the right overhead block that redirects the downward motion between the attacker's legs. Then the right hand circles around with a raking tiger's claw from left to right.

Right roundhouse kick to the face then land in a twist stance. From here you can cross out or continue with the attacker laying on the ground.

Right stomp to groin. Jump onto his face with both feet together but land in a horse stance straddling his head. Right then left punches to the face followed by a right stomping side kick to head.

bill007

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Dom,
if you never get out of your comfort zone you are not growing. I am glad that you are keeping up your training. Come by and teach us a thing or two whenever you like. BTW where are you training NCK. Have you seen Gilles at all?

Respectfully,
marlon

I'm still training with sensei Masson and with Christian Rondeau in St-Jérôme in NCK but I really don't know where is Gilles for now, I will ask around, let me talk with Shihan Poulin and if it's ok with him it will be a pleasure for me to come by and share one or two things.

Dom

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes I have it the same way. or that is how I was shown it. I now teach this with a few things being different.

As the punch comes in I do not step back. I step forward. (with my Left foot.)and do the same block. and a tiger rake across the face ( jaw) I then take my right hand and deliver a driving shuto to the attackers colar bone area. this freezes his motion for his next strike. as my left hand touches the right kidney of my attacker. this take the attacker down/ ( as far as the round house kick, I do a knee check as i touch the kidney ) the attacker goes down. i then step threw and kick the face and a right punch then left punch. cross and cover.

This is done from grabs and what not. i have all my students work different self defense teq. with in comb's. to make sure it works, no matter what attack happens.

I teach the kids the old way I do it. it keeps me rooted to SKK,
and I then show them as they get older the new way.

with the round house kick and the step back. to get this off is sometimes really hard. I have added kosho idears threw all my SKK.

steve

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Combo #2

I used teach this as:

1. box step

2. Right hand does a #3 block to attack the radial nerve

3. Right backfist punch to the nose (the crying button!)

4. Shuffle forward with a side elbow to the sternum (the shot to the sternum knocks your opponent balance point backwards so that way the sweep will work, plus your opponents right leg should line up to be in the middle of your side horse stance)

5. as your opponents balance is going backwards, right hand sweeps attacker's left leg

6. Right knife hand strike to groin, cross and cover.

We do this a bit differently...

1. box step to face 1030, while doing a #3 block, followed quickly by a #2 block as right hand comes back to right ear (elbow at sholder level, right fist vertical) (serves as check or block to a possible left punch, and sets up the...)

2. right hammer fist to left temple, follow through to your left shoulder

3. double strike : right backfist to nose with left thrust punch to solar plexus

4. right hand rolls down for hammer fist to groin as left hand checks lower centerline

5. right rising ridge hand to throat (since the groin shot bent them forward) (after my trip to MSU I have been looking at using their "obscure elbow" here, it is very effective)

it is usually necessary to shuffle forward between 3,4,5 to stay "in the pocket"

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I have it the same way. or that is how I was shown it. I now teach this with a few things being different.

As the punch comes in I do not step back. I step forward. (with my Left foot.)and do the same block. and a tiger rake across the face ( jaw) I then take my right hand and deliver a driving shuto to the attackers colar bone area. this freezes his motion for his next strike. as my left hand touches the right kidney of my attacker. this take the attacker down/ ( as far as the round house kick, I do a knee check as i touch the kidney ) the attacker goes down. i then step threw and kick the face and a right punch then left punch. cross and cover.

This is done from grabs and what not. i have all my students work different self defense teq. with in comb's. to make sure it works, no matter what attack happens.

I teach the kids the old way I do it. it keeps me rooted to SKK,
and I then show them as they get older the new way.

with the round house kick and the step back. to get this off is sometimes really hard. I have added kosho idears threw all my SKK.

steve

Hey Steve!

I have to say, that #4 was one technique that I really was never fond of. While the first few moves make sense, I just couldn't see the opponent necessarily dropping after that roundhouse kick.

I'm having a hard time visualizing your method of doing this technique. In your breakdown, you state that you're stepping forward, not back. Assuming that you're doing this defense off of a rt. punch, doesn't stepping forward, rather than on an angle, put you in a bad position, for the initial block? Also, could you explain your method of taking the person down?

Of course, some things are easier understood in person, rather than written. Hopefully, if you make it down over the Summer, I can see this method live. :)

Mike

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS.
Yes this summer you will see and feel what I mean. as far as stepping forward you step on Octagon angle 5 and then move to center. as you deliver the Block. you basical never really make a blocking contact.
as you deliver the tiger strike to the face ( jaw).
as far as the take down. you are creating a fold. with out a fold there can truly never be a throw. your Left hand is pressing into the attackers right kidney area. as your right hand is controlling the attacker left side of his bidy. by the colar bone. this is just after you freeze his motion. yet something else you must feel to under stand.
with the knee check to his lower right knee this shifts his body and helps all the other points to creat a throw. once down finish as you will.
with the stander or what not. I tell mystudents if in dark ally and alone. finish for your life.
If people around finish to be safe and move on... If uo know what I mean. LOL
But yes i look forward to coming down this summer and meating you and shareing idears.
kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Comb # 5

punch comes in and you shift your body left foot to right and step out as you deliver a # 3 block. then follow up with a back 2 knuckle punch to the attackers face. then a right side blade kick to the attackers solar plex area. and cross and cover.

this is how I learned this comb.

I teach it this way and as the student grows I add kosho idears to it.
and what not.

Marlon do you have comb # 81 I learned this from Shihan I. and had a ? on it.
thanks,
Kosho

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Comb # 5

punch comes in and you shift your body left foot to right and step out as you deliver a # 3 block. then follow up with a back 2 knuckle punch to the attackers face. then a right side blade kick to the attackers solar plex area. and cross and cover.

Everything is the same for me, with the exception of the initial block and movement of the feet. I step more towards 1:00 with my right foot. The block is a knife hand/bent wrist combination.

Mike

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
YES. I also have that way. I was shown both. I teach it as 5 beg. and 5 adv.
Kosho

Latest Discussions