SKK Combos

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a concept taught that I have not had the chance to explore in person with Professor Ingargiola on making the opponents weight come forward with the block. I would be curious to see if this would also stop the left punch or slow it down. Anyone have this concept down well enough to comment?[/quote]

This is a good concept but the body positioning of combo 2 does not allow for it to stop a second strike. Also i do not do this block so hard and also use the foot work more to avoid the strike.

Respectfully,
Marlon

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a concept taught that I have not had the chance to explore in person with Professor Ingargiola on making the opponents weight come forward with the block. I would be curious to see if this would also stop the left punch or slow it down. Anyone have this concept down well enough to comment?

This is a good concept but the body positioning of combo 2 does not allow for it to stop a second strike. Also i do not do this block so hard and also use the foot work more to avoid the strike.

Respectfully,
Marlon

This is another way that I have worked #2. For me, it tends to jam me up a bit, bringing the opponent too close. However, I have been able to make it work by hinging on the right foot, moving the left foot back, and bringing the opponent in.

Let it be known, that there are three ways of footwork practiced where I train ...
1) Box step ending up in a horse stance
2) Hinging 90° on the left foot, dropping the right foot back, ending up in a halfmoon stance
3) A twist stance. The same first movement as #38
The method I prefer is the hinging method. Ending up in a halfmoon stance is much more practical and stable for street application.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The jamming thing i find has been mentioned a lot, but i terms of striking if you're not a little 'jammed' then you might be too far to hit 'through' your target. anywho, it works for me.

Respectfully,
Marlon

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The method I prefer is the hinging method. Ending up in a halfmoon stance is much more practical and stable for street application.

A half-moon facing which direction? Left or right half-moon?

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
When considering 2 combination, I don't think of the #3 block as a #3 block. If your footwork is correct you've already gotten out of the way, so no block is necessary (though a check is a good idea). The striker's arm is right there, with the radial nerve asking to be whacked. The motion of the #3 block lets you scrape your right ulna all along the expose nerve rendering the arm harmless for a short time, it also serves as the disruption alluded to earlier to let the right back punch beat the opponents second strike. Just a thought ...

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
When considering 2 combination, I don't think of the #3 block as a #3 block. If your footwork is correct you've already gotten out of the way, so no block is necessary (though a check is a good idea). The striker's arm is right there, with the radial nerve asking to be whacked. The motion of the #3 block lets you scrape your right ulna all along the expose nerve rendering the arm harmless for a short time, it also serves as the disruption alluded to earlier to let the right back punch beat the opponents second strike. Just a thought ...

I agree...especially since I describe something similar on page 1 of this thread. However, something to consider is what if the person that is attacking has nerve damage there? You better be ready to strike ASAP. That's kind of why I also say 3 can be a deflection block. It depends on your opponent.

Mark L

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You are absolutely correct in being ready to strike quickly, and repeatedly. If the nerve strike doesn't work, it doesn't work; I move onto something else. I don't count on any one thing working, in fact I assume any single strike will not work so I continue until I don't have to anymore.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forget. what is the next combo to discuss?

Marlon

I believe that we're up to #11. However, if there are still questions, comments, etc., on anything else we've already discussed, feel free to bring them up. :)

Mike

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That would be pivoting on the left foot 90° counter-clockwise, ending up in a left foot forward halfmoon stance

are you sure you don't mean clockwise?

but basically you are in a left half-moon facing 3? (or is it 9 for counter-clockwise).

starting in a horse facing 12, drop my right foot back while pivoting 90 degrees on my left... that is clockwise, facing 3?

You fight from this position? if your attacker is at 12, you are in a left half moon facing 90 degrees off???

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
are you sure you don't mean clockwise?

but basically you are in a left half-moon facing 3? (or is it 9 for counter-clockwise).

starting in a horse facing 12, drop my right foot back while pivoting 90 degrees on my left... that is clockwise, facing 3?

You fight from this position? if your attacker is at 12, you are in a left half moon facing 90 degrees off???

If you are facing 12 and you turn 90 degrees in a counter-clockwise direction, you will be facing 9

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Combo #4
Slight step back with the rt leg with a right rising block (more like slipping under the punch) clockwise circullar motion with the right arm clockwise (from the block you should have contact with the scapulla to be most effective with the circular motion) continue motion into a lt to rt downward tiger rake across the face with a half beat differential into a rt roundhouse that follows through ie not a competion kick but one that uses the hips and strikes with a downward force. land in a dragon stance to regain balance from the all out kick. rt axe or stomp the the groin of fallen attacker jump on the head and follow up strikes (i have had a rt lt front punch to the cheek bones then immortal man's to the eyes then trigger fingers to the temples or double front punches or only the rt lt punches)ending with a blade kick to the lt side of the attacker's head. Although, i really prefer the ending Danjo has from kajukenbo or is it from Pesare? I once was told that after the round house the techniques ended...
we really emphasize the slip of the attack rather than blocking and the rt arm functions more as a guard and a way to establish contact. The contact area (scapulla) is very good for sensing your opponents movement and for disrupting their balance with minimal effort.

Ok that's 4 the way i have it!
Let's learn

Respectfully,
Marlon

Steve i live in Montreal, Quebec about 4.5 hours out of Boston. i am not quite sure exactly where Orange county is, and it would be great to have you come up.
Hello,

Just a thought on the groin strike. I was told once by someone who tried the groin strike that if you use the heel instead of the ball for the axe kick you stand on their pelvic bone, which might sound fun but you will generally fall as your opponent is understandably wobly. Using the ball of the foot allows you to hit then slide onto the floor for a stable launch position.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hello,

Just a thought on the groin strike. I was told once by someone who tried the groin strike that if you use the heel instead of the ball for the axe kick you stand on their pelvic bone, which might sound fun but you will generally fall as your opponent is understandably wobly. Using the ball of the foot allows you to hit then slide onto the floor for a stable launch position.

At our school we bypass the kick to the groin. We step with our right on the outside right, knee or thigh level, of the fallen opponent, to avoid exposing our own groin to an up kick from the opponent, then jump off our right landing not on the face, but straddling the opponent. We apply triggers to the temples and immortal man strikes to the eyes. Finishing with a right cresent, then right stomp to the head.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
At our school we bypass the kick to the groin. We step with our right on the outside right, knee or thigh level, of the fallen opponent, to avoid exposing our own groin to an up kick from the opponent, then jump off our right landing not on the face, but straddling the opponent. We apply triggers to the temples and immortal man strikes to the eyes. Finishing with a right cresent, then right stomp to the head.

Hello,

That is also the way I learned it. I always had it that the opponent lands with the feet together then step to the side of the hip. I picked up the groin version when the opponent lands with legs open. Do you do this when the feet are together or on either one?

Someone was asking earlier about the takedown and picturing it in their head. I will do my best to describe the explanations I have been given.

On the roundhouse to face version you are using quick changes in direction for the takedown. The initial block pulls your opponent toward 5 oclock then the redirect before the tiger rake toward 10 oclock then the tiger rake pulls them toward 5 oclock and finally the roundhouse to the face sends them toward 10 oclock. It is the constant change in direction that breaks the balance and allows the takedown.

On the roundhouse to sternum version you hit with an upward rising roundhouse ball kick, which takes the opponent off their feet. I had a black belt who had the unforunate lesson of learning the validity of this take down by punching in for one of the USSD Masters. He learned to fly so to speak.

The twist stance after the round house I was always told was their in case you didn't suceed on the takedown. Since it is very difficult to practice these takedowns on a partner it is quite understandable that it will take a longer time to develop the ability to utilize for real life.

I have yet to hear a story about how you can possibly practice the face split. Does anyone know how this may have been practiced in earlier times. Perhaps landing on watermellons?

Thanks for all the input from everyone,
JReilly

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
Going back to Dm(Combination) 2

Guard for DM(Combination #2) - To draw your opponent into the attack that you want place your right hand on the right side of your head and your left hand low on the center line. This leaves your left upper body open for a right punch, right hooking punch, straight kick or circular kick . Either block or just hit as your opponent attacks.

Footwork- I think I saw all of these listed earlier. I want to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Box step - Usually the normal way taught.
Box step - both feet move at the same time.
V Step - Switching from left halfmoon to right halfmoon.
Pull drag from right half moon - Loose the block & just hit.
Open the gate - Turn CCW to right side horse stance.
I screw up and and let a left hook come in - before the back punch bob and weave then deliver the back punch from the outside and continue.

My appologies if I am a little long winded, but if I don't ask now I may not get a chance to later. I have always thought of back punch to the chin as ideal when you are shorter and the backfist to the nose as ideal when you are taller. Any other advantages on that part of DM 2 for one strike or the other?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you are facing 12 and you turn 90 degrees in a counter-clockwise direction, you will be facing 9

I guess I'm confused. You originally wrote

"2) Hinging 90° on the left foot, dropping the right foot back, ending up in a halfmoon stance"

so how is that counter-clockwise? This is a turn to face 3

Later you wrote "That would be pivoting on the left foot 90° counter-clockwise, ending up in a left foot forward halfmoon stance"

which leaves you facing 9.

But what I am more interested in is, are you saying that you fight an attacker at 12 from a left half moon facing 3? or 9?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have yet to hear a story about how you can possibly practice the face split. Does anyone know how this may have been practiced in earlier times. Perhaps landing on watermellons?

Thanks for all the input from everyone,
JReilly

I may be competely wrong, I'm no master, but with regards to the face split, which I had in the 80's, doesn't seem practical. Seems to me this would cause loss of balance, at the least, or the chance of twisted/broken ankle(s). Of course, I've never actually done this to a person, so I really don't know for fact. Landing on watermelons may simulate the action, but they will crush. I believe at least the larger facial bones and skull would remain somewhat intact. Thoughts anyone?

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Going back to Dm(Combination) 2

Guard for DM(Combination #2) - To draw your opponent into the attack that you want place your right hand on the right side of your head and your left hand low on the center line. This leaves your left upper body open for a right punch, right hooking punch, straight kick or circular kick . Either block or just hit as your opponent attacks.

Footwork- I think I saw all of these listed earlier. I want to see if anyone has any other ideas.

Box step - Usually the normal way taught.
Box step - both feet move at the same time.
V Step - Switching from left halfmoon to right halfmoon.
Pull drag from right half moon - Loose the block & just hit.
Open the gate - Turn CCW to right side horse stance.
I screw up and and let a left hook come in - before the back punch bob and weave then deliver the back punch from the outside and continue.

My appologies if I am a little long winded, but if I don't ask now I may not get a chance to later. I have always thought of back punch to the chin as ideal when you are shorter and the backfist to the nose as ideal when you are taller. Any other advantages on that part of DM 2 for one strike or the other?

Honestly, if you are shorter, don't do the backfist just go straight for the elbow to knock your opponent off balance and finish it off. It's ok to skip something if it's not ideal to do.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Anyway, combination/dm/whatever you call it this week number 11 as I have it:

Start in a horse stance.

Draw into a left cat stance and do a left hand parry block.

right trigger finger to the temple.

Single leg takedown (right hand on the hips to displace and left hand sweeping the ankle) slide the hands up the leg to the opponents foot.

right knee to their groin.

right hand grabs the top half of the foot and left hand grabs the heel. turn the leg (tearing the ACL) step over the body with the left foot.

right knee to the spine while pulling the leg.

step over the body with the right leg, right thrust punch to the ribs, right heel kick to the ribs (both sides), left spinning hook kick to the head (as they pop up their head from the rib shots).

on guard.

I've seen other versions of this such as hiding the trigger finger strike under the parry block, adding an extra parry block after the trigger finger, using a palm strike to the ribs before the takedown...lots of neat stuff!

Latest Discussions