SKK Combos

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
How many of you are having your partner punch more than once when you are practicing your combinations? How about trying to let your partner move around and attack in any way they want to?

I have found that most people stick to the very basics and never really move forward past a beginner understanding. One thing that frustrate me is when an advanced student won't practice a technique differently because it's not the way he was shown it. Or even worse, when someone teaches a technique that they don't feel really works.

I praise my students when they are able to move forward with their understanding of something on their own. If they can learn to teach themselves then I've really done a good job.

Honestly, I had my students left jab and right cross at some point as a training drill. You have to get your students to just react...that's it. just react based on whatever is thrown at them. The bad thing for me is that I'm short, so I used to teach my students the combinations based on what was working for me. Your students need to figure out what will make each technique work for their size, height, weight...whatever. Going back to combination 6, my leg is not longer than most people's arms...the concept kosho is talking about wouldn't work for me. HOWEVER, I am going to attack the leg that he's stepping in on. Why? Timing. He can't punch me if his leg can't travel close enough to me.

I may have come off as a bitter ex USSD/FVSSD instructor and that's because I am...but, I do have some knowledge every once in a while.

On a different subject, but still pertaining to combinations, I heard from FV that there are 12 different variations of each combination for the right and the left. Anyone know these?

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
How many of you are having your partner punch more than once when you are practicing your combinations? How about trying to let your partner move around and attack in any way they want to?

I have found that most people stick to the very basics and never really move forward past a beginner understanding. One thing that frustrate me is when an advanced student won't practice a technique differently because it's not the way he was shown it. Or even worse, when someone teaches a technique that they don't feel really works.

I praise my students when they are able to move forward with their understanding of something on their own. If they can learn to teach themselves then I've really done a good job.

Once the base tech. is worked on, we always look at that 'what if' area. Sometimes people tend to get so focused on one aspect of a tech. that they forget that the attacker has another hand and most likely will be using it. Now, perhaps it was because I never reached that point when I was training in SKK, but that was something that I personally never saw being addressed. It was once I moved on to EPAK, that this was taken into consideration.

Mike

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Comb #7 well I learned it as a side step to the left and then a side blade kick to the ribs. cross cover.
I teach it also as a kick to the knee.
and I also make sure that all combs can be done if a left punch comes in amd also from grabs. etc......
Kosho

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Comb #7 well I learned it as a side step to the left and then a side blade kick to the ribs. cross cover.
I teach it also as a kick to the knee.
and I also make sure that all combs can be done if a left punch comes in amd also from grabs. etc......
Kosho

Yes, this is the way I have it as well.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
#8 & #9

I have the initial block as what I believe is being called iron fortress. (right parry, followed by the left coming up under and grabbing the arm)

From there, a right instep kick to the groin, followed by a right roundhouse kick. #9 is followed up by a side kick to the ribs.

Mike

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
#8 & #9

I have the initial block as what I believe is being called iron fortress. (right parry, followed by the left coming up under and grabbing the arm)

From there, a right instep kick to the groin, followed by a right roundhouse kick. #9 is followed up by a side kick to the ribs.

Mike

our 8 and 9 are completely different:
#8 is knife hand block with step forward and...
#9 is knife hand block with step back and...

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
#8 hard open hand outward blocl then right snap kick to the groin.../step down then roundhouse to the head

outward ridge hand block to a grab (bring arm to center) with simultaneauous right front kick to the bladder then right roundhoue with the ball of the foot to the chest step down into a dagon stance (the control of the attackers arm unbalances them.so they fall into the right side thrust to the ribs. cross and cover...ie move twice There is a potential arm break withthe side thrust kick by raising the right forearm as your left hand controls the arm just before the side kick

Respectfully,
Marlon

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I teach 8 and 9 as just a double kick with #8
and a triple kick with #9. Block if need to but its all about timeing.
Kosho

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
MJS,
Comb 10. I can not think of how I had this> but once some one posts it i think it will come back.

I now teach it the way my teacher added some kosho Ryu idears to it.
as the punch comes in you step right leg to octogan angle 5 as you blend your left hand open block to the punch same time you deliver a right hand shuto to the attackers neck. at this time the attackers balance becomes off and you then deliver a throw. by shifting your lower base and moveing your left foot as in dragon wips tail. once down controlling the arm you deliver 3 strikes to the attackers face. cross and cover.
Kosho

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
We did it the same way with the feet, the difference for us was a right spear hand to the groin, with a simultaneous left, knife hand block. You then wrap the arm, pull downward, and from the spearhand, come straight up with a palm under the chin/side of the head, or a bear claw, which I've seen also. Then it was 2 chops to the throat, nose, then jump up, and come down with a chop to the heart.

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Handsword The way you posted it. Is the way i learned it. With the bear claw strike. and the spearhand to the groin. wrap and shift and take down. strike, strike and jump... I totally forgot that comb. Thanks.
The way i posted it before is how I teach it now.
Thanks, again
Kosho

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
#10 for me, I blocked with my left, to their right arm, while doing a right ridgehand strike to the groin. Wrapping the arm with my left, and delivering a right bear claw/palm strike to the ear, as I step back with the left leg, taking them down. From there it was 2 knife hand strikes to the ribs, followed by the jump and a 3rd strike to the ribs.

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
#10 for me, I blocked with my left, to their right arm, while doing a right ridgehand strike to the groin. Wrapping the arm with my left, and delivering a right bear claw/palm strike to the ear, as I step back with the left leg, taking them down. From there it was 2 knife hand strikes to the ribs, followed by the jump and a 3rd strike to the ribs.

I have a driving knife to the ribs ,then a dropping knife to the plexus and then the jump which can be an arm break with a knife to the throat.
the technique also has nice aiki flow to it
Marlon

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
#8 & #9

Mike

So many different versions, so little time. SOME Villari schools still teach it with an iron fortress block. I know of some schools that teach it as a dragon trap to pull into the initial kick. I originally got it as a dragon hook block. same kicks. 9 i have the same beginning, but with a switch of the hands to open up the ribs for the kick.

USSD way is a outward knifehand block with a grab, for 8 and 9, but 9 has an extra bonus wrist break when you switch hands for the sidekick at the end.

I, yet again, have a short person version with a wrist control after the grab to help lower them into the roundhouse kick. Just putting in my 2 cents.

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score

That's what FV teaches now in most schools. some instructors still teach it with the spear hand to the groin.

USSD version:

outward knifehand with the left, ridgehand to the groin with the right while hinging in with the right foot. wrap the arm with the left hand, right shooto strike to the neck and take them down. 3 rolling shooto strikes to the heart.

the takedown works best for me when i cup the head and bring it to my left shoulder (aka the sweetheart takedown) and then there is a bonus armbar when they are on the ground and you aren't.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I agree with Marlon on the importance of the backpunch or other strike if you have a variation. The back punch to the chin sends the head back, which stops the left punch as any energy going forward from the left shoulder makes the opponent absorb more energy on the jaw strike.

I used to practice injuring the incoming arm on DM(Combination) 2, but when I started thinking in terms of the what if I started focusing on only using the #3 block to avoid the hit and immediately striking the chin.

Everything on DM 2 is about getting the opponent to shift weight to the heels. The backpunch to the chin, elbow to sternum(shoulder for safety in the dojo), hidden strike sends the head back( I won't list what the strike is as it is very hard to control and your partner often gets whacked). In my opinion the take down is not done unless the opponent's weight is heavily on their heels.

There is a concept taught that I have not had the chance to explore in person with Professor Ingargiola on making the opponents weight come forward with the block. I would be curious to see if this would also stop the left punch or slow it down. Anyone have this concept down well enough to comment?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We don't use that kind of heavy block in #2, but that is a blocking technique we are familiar with. A "block" should distort the attacker's posture and balance...

Gufbal1982

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We don't use that kind of heavy block in #2, but that is a blocking technique we are familiar with. A "block" should distort the attacker's posture and balance...

The 3 block isn't necessarilly a hard style block. It can also be used as a deflection and as a soft style block. Just think about it...what makes a 3 block a 3 block?

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The 3 block isn't necessarilly a hard style block. It can also be used as a deflection and as a soft style block. Just think about it...what makes a 3 block a 3 block?

Here's another thought along those lines ...

The idea behind #2, as I know it, is to avoid the strike via movement/footwork, therefore it may be considered that there is no #3 block at all. It is the same motion as a block, but is simply used as a guard which is also chambering the right arm, readying for attack, which in this scenario would be a backfist to the nose, followed by an elbow strike to the sternum.

One thought would be, by blocking the oppoonents right arm, especially with a hard block, would you not be setting him up for the left strike? Think about how the opponents body would tend to move if the arm is blocked from the inside out. The force would cause the opponents shoulders to rotate clockwise, which creates a natural movement of the left shoulder forward, not only bringing on the punch, but actually adding power to it.

With this in mind, the movement from avoiding the punch to striking the opponent needs to be very quick, thus eliminating the power of the left punch that is coming.

Just another way of looking at and/or applying the technique.

Latest Discussions