Side kicks

Foot Position of left supporting leg during a right sidekick?

• left toes facing 10:30 (45 cat)

• left toes facing 9:00 (90 cat)

• left toes facing 7:30

• left toes facing 6:00

Results are only viewable after voting.

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I was taught that there are two types of side kicks, Snapping and Thrusting.

The "Snapping" side kick is usually done as a "minor" strike and sets up another major strike. Primarily designed to distract the opponent in order to redirect their attention away from what's coming. This is usually a low kick to the shins or knee. From a forward bow the kicking leg is end up to knee level and snapped out to the opponent usually no more that waist high and then planted back to the neutral bow position for the next strike or another snap kick. The rear base foot will pivot slightly towards 90 degrees from its original 45 degree angle.

The "Thrusting" side kick is a power kick and many times is used as at "major" strike. This is done with more hip rotation and more pivoting of the rear support leg to make sure the toes are positioned toward 6:00 for stability and anchoring. This type of kick is usually finished by a cross over or cover out to regain a fighting position. It can be performed and then returned to the original neutral bow but takes a lot of body control and balance.

That's how I understand the side kick and its use. I would like to hear others.

Kenpobuff

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that the snapping side kick is usually performed with the lead leg for quick response. To use the rear leg takes to long to bring forward unless you use it to set up a series of kicks or want to close the distance to the opponent with a step through movement.

The thrusting side kick can be used by both the front and rear leg. Using the rear leg makes use of momentum and makes for a powerful kick to the torso area for maximum benefit. Again, it is slower and if you don't set it up properly you can telegraph it to a point the opponent will step aside, then you are committed. Good kick for balance and body control work.

eyebeams

Purple Belt
Reaction score
From a CMA perspective:

I don't think it's really possible to generalize what Chinese arts (or "martial sciences" if that floats your boat) do. Northern or Southern? Inside or outside of the Jingwu curriculum? Form oriented or sanshou?

The side kick isn't terribly common in strict Southern CMA. It is a common part of composite systems (I currently study Mizong Luohanquan), and there are both low and high variations. For any given high side kick, coiled action at the waist is important; that is, the waist is prepared for action by turning into the direction of the kick, but hip rotates in a crescent at a perpendicular angle. This is difficult to describe but when done correctly, it creates a springing action. When the hip is followed to execution, though, the waist is primed to express power, making this an excellent distance-bridging technique.

Systems with more concern for root prefer lower kicks and to retain the ability to express power from the waist in any mechanically tenable position. You do give up something with a high side kick.

I find metaphors based on walking inherent suspect. Human bodies do more than walk, and the common metaphor is sterile compared to the actual environmental conditions human beings have adapted to, few of which have to do with level ground. Generally, if you could put your hips into pulling at a given height (for example, the way you would naturally align your hips at a tree branch to hook and yank yourself up), you can do it to push/kick. Taekwondo has some excellent drills to test this principle by combining kicks that use opposing hip actions (hook/roundhouse, for instance). Generally, if you cannot maintain hip alignment for both techniques, you are kicking too high.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
The kicking foot should generally be parallel to the floor. If the toes of the kicking foot are higher than the heel, it isn't a sidekick anymore.

Our style teaches us to always use the heel for a sidekick. I know some styles teach you to use the "knife edge" of the foot, but I don't understand why that is. It seems to me that using your foot that way could be useful for strikes to soft tissue targets, but the heel works just as well or better.

The target generally determines the part of the foot that is ideal to hit with.
When hitting the solar plexus the heel fits much better than the blade. When hitting the throat the blade fits better.

Blade - Floating ribs, throat, back of knee.
Heel - Floating ribs(both work here for different reasons), solar plexus, spine, ceribellum, temple.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe the 06:00 position is the best one.
*With your supporting foot in this position there is no chance of a joint lockup at your hip joint. This will allow proper rotation of your hip to that you can line up the proper leg muscle groups that are to be used for the kick.
*When you extend a leg you must counter balance the weight of your leg. This is usually done by leaning your torso away from the extended leg. For the above the waist kicks with your foot in any other position other then the 06:00 position you will be leaning over the side of your foot. It is easier to maintain control of your balance by leaning over the toes instead of leaning of the side of your foot.
*The ankle joint will not go into lock with the foot in the 06:00 position.
*The lower the thrust kick the less of a body lean you will have so the 06:00 position will not be as critical as the hight, above waist area type kicks.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My foot tends to be either at six or nine, depending on the timing, intent, and power of the kick, as well as what I'm following the kick up with, and how I'm choosing to bend my torso. If I'm attempting a high-power sidekick, using my whole bodyweight, my foot's at six. If I'm attempting a quick sidekick leading into some other combo, I place my foot at 9.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't use side kicks. I only use heel kicks - because side kicks leave the groin vulnerable. When I do - the supporting leg is pointed to 6:00 and it's a thrusting kick.

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I try to use side kicks two ways: the blade is used as a snapping strike (no pivoting involved) that stings or stuns the person with the intent to leave them where they are..but manipulated typically a folding type kick...Whereas the thrust kick uses the pivot (putting the hip into the kick) developing greatest power. The intent is to drive the person away...

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I use both rear-leg and front-leg side kicks, supporting foot heel always aimed at the target (i.e, 6:00 kick). And my intent (i.e., what I'm training for) is a mid-to-low kick that will damage one of my attacker's limbs so badly that he will be unable to continue. A knee joint blowout or abdominal trauma inflcted on my assailant... that's my training ideal for kicks. I do train high kicks as a balance test, though; but the objective, always, is to inflict severe middle or lower body damage.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
A "side kick" that utilizes the side of the foot, or knifedge, is anatomically a negative when utilized higher than your own hip flexors. This muscle group (Iliopsoas) has laterally an effective, limited range without damage. This kick, in general, does not exist in the Chinese Arts and is a product of other cultural interpretations of the Chinese Arts.

Bill Lear

Brown Belt
Reaction score
A "side kick" that utilizes the side of the foot, or knifedge, is anatomically a negative when utilized higher than your own hip flexors. This muscle group (Iliopsoas) has laterally an effective, limited range without damage. This kick, in general, does not exist in the Chinese Arts and is a product of other cultural interpretations of the Chinese Arts.

In your opinion, what is the proper striking surface when utilizing a side kick that is executed higher than one's hip-flexors?

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Doc,
In your discription of a side kick you referenced the hip flexors. From your discription I am getting the impression that the leg action in this side kick utilizes tha same type of leg action that is found in the half round house kick. Is this correct?
The reason that I ask is that in some of the Kenpo systems two types of side kicks are used.
1) The kicking leg uses a round house type action,
2) The kicking leg uses a thrusting type action.
Our teminology is probably different, I hope that you will get the meaning of my question.
Thanks,

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

There's another thread that's started up on this in the meantime. The overwhelming consensus there seems to be: use the central part of the heel. In terms of both cushioning/density and striking surface alignment to the supporting (skeletal) structure, it seems by far the best impact surface.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's another thread that's started up on this in the meantime. The overwhelming consensus there seems to be: use the central part of the heel. In terms of both cushioning/density and striking surface alignment to the supporting (skeletal) structure, it seems by far the best impact surface.

IMO, the calcaneous (heel bone) is THE best part of your body to hit something with — both the bottom of your heel and the back of your heel.

If you ever get a chance to look at a human skeleton, take the time to check it out. The calcaneous looks like rock as compared with the slender sticks and pebbles found elsewhere, AND it is located conveniently at the end of a limb.

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score

I agree.

(just stumbled upon this thread. No notification again)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree.

(just stumbled upon this thread. No notification again)

Hey Doc, glad to hear we're on the same page—and did you just score your first gold star?

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doc,
In your discription of a side kick you referenced the hip flexors. From your discription I am getting the impression that the leg action in this side kick utilizes tha same type of leg action that is found in the half round house kick. Is this correct?
The reason that I ask is that in some of the Kenpo systems two types of side kicks are used.
1) The kicking leg uses a round house type action,
2) The kicking leg uses a thrusting type action.
Our teminology is probably different, I hope that you will get the meaning of my question.
Thanks,
Sorry I don't understand. The way I was taught there are several applications of what we call a "side kick." The structural physical support for execution between snapping and thrusting are identical. The primary differences are between the portion of the foot used to make contact, which also dictates "how" it may be used. The "knife-edge" is never used above the waist, and is anatomically dedicated to striking below the waist. The heel is the opposite although it may be used below the waist. The angle of the support foot is critical, especially in thrusting, and is always 45-degree relative.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I guess. Never pay much attention. I just write. Is that good or bad?

That you just write what you think? That's definitely good.

That you got a gold star? Well, it means a fair number of people like what you have to say... also good, I'd say.

So on balance, it looks good to me, at least!
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions