skk forms principles

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
When you hit the thanks button what does that do? Are you thanking the person who wrote that particular reply? Sorry I don't understand how martial talk works yet. I am still just learning the basics.

It thanks the person who's post you clicked on. You'll see your screen name show up immediately at the bottom of that particular post.

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
I am going to say i did not like 4 kata for the longest time... I worked it over and over again with other instructors and stole everything i liked from their thoughts.... so kempo....
the opening move i teach two things..
one is off of a shoulder grab, right grab, left punch..
person doing the form brings arm up on the outside of the grab arm, hyper extending the elbow, the tiger claw is more of a eye gauge and then i bring their arm in under my chamber as i step back (foot to foot)and back punch to the chin (chin because their head will drop down when you pull them in with your chamber). then i step out behind the person and back fist with take down.
for the kempo i will get a video of it, to hard to explain and send it to matt and have him post it.
Jesse

JTKenpo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Five kata principles: I posted this in a discussion on applications but think it belongs with this discussion as well. I would have just hyperlinked it, but I am not that savvy.

The kata begins by moving forward (1 kata) then moves back on the same line (2 kata). This is also line reenforcement which is taught in 2 kata and also has the blocks and counter strikes on the same hand which you brought up earlier about 2 kata. These linear steps are then followed by circular steps in the wheel backward for the next two sequences. "where linear moves end circular moves begin and where circular moves end linear moves begin". Within these next two sections we have low block high strikes, this I believe is showing the connection of height zones. As you block or strike one height zone another opens. The third section also contains the open hand "scoop" blocks followed by spear hands, which is found in the opening of 3 kata. Then we move into the backfist side kick which we see originally in 1 kata. Here is the interesting part, the next move is the backfist/trap on each side, before the flying side kick, we see this in 5 pinion which wasn't in the system when 5 kata was created so SGM Pesare could very well have been influenced by shotokan as well (pure speculation on my part, I have nothing else to back that statement up). Then after the flying side kick we have the reverse crane stance seen very often in Statue of the Crane. The last section has the back kick to 6 oclock and the spear hand to 12, fighting two different directions simulaneously which is what I believe the underlying principles of 4 kata are; all the pivots.

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Have we touched on the principles of 4 kata? I'm getting principles and application threads mixed up. :)

To me the predominant feature in four kata is the pivot, in place directional change without giving up position.

That's about all i can find in terms of principles for 4 kata..i have some nice applications and Jesse has some great applications. But as for priniciples...

marlon

OP
marlon

marlon

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
5 kata i like the opening up the middle to strike but i especially like the lean away that can hide your true distance from the attacker. without a form that uses a backstance such as heien nidan this is where we come across this idea in the skk forms.

marlon

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was working Kata 4 with my sensei and the only thing I could think of when doing it was that someone will be able to turn on a dime when they're proficient with it.

14 Kempo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was working Kata 4 with my sensei and the only thing I could think of when doing it was that someone will be able to turn on a dime when they're proficient with it.

Just one more thought, it teaches us how to use the ground and our bodies to generate power. Not only are a lot of these movements a pivot, but the pivots can be used to teach the principle of starting at ground level. The feet move first, the hips follow the feet, the shoulders follow the hips and here come the hands.

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
I see one of the predominant principles in 3 kata being how to defend yourself from awkward positions ie transitions.

I like the idea of working out of akward positions, but I don't see in Kata 3 where we are starting from an akward position. Can you give 1 or 2 examples where the starting stance or guard position is weird?

SK101

Green Belt
Reaction score
we teach the reason to use 7 instead of 6 is the degree of forward momentum. If the attacker is closing very hard/fast we use 7 to get off the 'train tracks' and counter attack from an angle. By moving to 730 we buy time and get a favorable angle off his line of attack. I don;t see how you can do that with only shifting weight and bobbing your head.

I think your concept of degree of forward momentum answers the variations in DM(Combo) #7 that you are discussing. If I am reading this right it sounds like you may be reacting to a tackle/bearhug/or a front punch thrown from close range. It sounded like the bob and weave version of 7 that someone mentioned may be off more of a hook or haymaker type attack with less forward motion or even no forward motion.