Should Students under the Age of 16 be Black Belts?

OP
B

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
In my school the kyu belt ranking system for kids from 4 to 15 is different from adult belt ranks. Adult belt ranks go white, yellow, orange, green, blue and brown belt. The kids ranking system is white belt, white with a black stripe, yellow, yellow with a black stripe etc. that way kids can grasp things in the curriculum easier for their age instead of throwing everything at them and then whether or not they are able to grasp it, go for black belt at a young age.

KempoGuy06

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In my school the kyu belt ranking system for kids from 4 to 15 is different from adult belt ranks. Adult belt ranks go white, yellow, orange, green, blue and brown belt. The kids ranking system is white belt, white with a black stripe, yellow, yellow with a black stripe etc. that way kids can grasp things in the curriculum easier for their age instead of throwing everything at them and then whether or not they are able to grasp it, go for black belt at a young age.

ours is set up similar, without the belts though, the kids curriculum is the same except that certain portions are left out until they achieve a certain rank. Those portions being the ones where they need more mental fortitude as they are not just steps 1,2,3. There are concepts involved that may be lost on someone of a younger mindset

B

Indie12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'm a firm believer in you should be at least 18 years of age with at least a minimum of 5 years before you can go for Black Belt. Anyone under the age of 18 (no matter how long they've been studying) should not become Black Belts until they are 18. Maybe longer.

OP
B

Black Belt Jedi

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I recall hearing stories from my 8-10 year old students that at the YMCA, karate instructors have black belts around their ages even younger from 4-7 year olds. At a young age many karatekas cannot have sharp techniques and proper kime, it takes time to grow into it. There are some schools both Karate and Taekwondo award belts to students like tournament trophies. Even have students skip belt ranks quite often. Those types of businesses run a McDojo. I do tip my hat for my students for being aware on how instructors have been running their schools.

Latest Discussions